Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you watch the Bill O’Reilly show anymore
Yes 10 47.62%
No 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
He pretty much was denouncing that the bible as being true and there is no way that anyone could have heard Jesus on the cross because crucifixion causes you to suffocate, so you cant speak.

Ill take the bibles accuracy over Bill O anyday.
I'm certainly not defending O'Reilly.

Whether one suffocates or not during crucifixion is debated at length on many websites. Some say suffocation, some say something else. O'Reilly is entitled to his opinion.

Regarding his answer during the 60 Minutes interview regarding Luke 23:34.

Norah O'Donnell: But, Bill, you know what people are going to say. "The Bible says that Jesus said on the cross, 'Father forgive them,' but Bill O'Reilly says that's not true, so I should believe Bill?"

Bill O'Reilly: Right, but that's not our only source. I mean, we use Muslim sources, we use Roman sources, we use Jewish sources.

I have the ebook of Killing Jesus in front of me. "During the crucifixion O"Reilly writes, "I thirst, Jesus.........." Later he writes, "It is finished," he (Jesus) says."

The P75 does not contain these words in Luke 23:34. Neither does the Codex Vatinicus. Many scholars doubt Luke wrote this. It's not like O'Reilly is stating something new.

I personally hold that The Bible is inerrant and true throughout. However, there is a difference between what the original Greek NT manuscripts say and what English bibles say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,939,123 times
I don't watch Bill O. anymore. Bill is kind of a blowhard, that thinks he is always right, no matter what the issue is. He doesn't even take the time to listen or be educated, he just thinks he knows it all. I guess his success went to his head. He's arrogant and a constant self promoter. I certainly wouldn't purchase his book. I've seen him interview people who knew a lot more about religion than he did, and he just blew them off. His constant self promotion finally got to me. I've pretty much walked away from politics anymore. The country is such a mess, its in a almost hopeless downward spiral, circling the drain.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,821,585 times
I watch Bill often, and will continue. I usually agree with him. However, I watched him try to defend his faith during an interview. He was clueless. I was shocked at how little he knew.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,838,825 times
Nothing worse than someone making remarks on Jesus when they do not understand what or who Christ was...Most Christians don't have a clue...let alone these people.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,361,548 times
Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

The writers of the Gospels were not present at the cruxifiction. How do they know what Jesus said? I assume the women present Virgin Mary, Mary Magdalene must have told someone about what Jesus said in the cross.

Are the exact words that important?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 PM

545 posts, read 452,423 times
Zero interest in anything to do with this celebrity.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

The writers of the Gospels were not present at the cruxifiction. How do they know what Jesus said? I assume the women present Virgin Mary, Mary Magdalene must have told someone about what Jesus said in the cross.

Are the exact words that important?
The Old Testament Prophets were not at the crucifixion but knew every detail of what was recorded in the New before it happened. It is the Spirit of Truth who taught either by eyewitness or revelation what was to be recorded in both the Old and New Testament writings.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,541,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Yes, I will. He tells it like it is and holds nothing back which is something most people in the mainstream news just don't do.

What I would like to know about Bill O'Reilly is has he been born again? It is interesting that he says he is a catholic when I have heard him say on his show that he thinks it is crazy that water baptism be required to be saved which is something Catholicism says otherwise. I don't think he fully believes in the catholic religion. One thing I've noticed about catholics is they seem to choose for themselves of just how far into Catholicism they will go. What matters whether he is catholic or not is has he been born again. If he truly believes Jesus is the Son of God who died for his sins then he is saved. No book he writes can ever change his position in salvation if he is born again.
As a Catholic like O'Reilly yes we have been born again when we were baptized as a baby. I would say he believes since he wrote this book and it does not deny Jesus or God.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,541,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
According to him during his interview yesterday he said Jesus was just a ordinary man and not the Messiah. Orielly is a example of someone that will poke fun of and put down a Christian beliefs, yet that same Christians will turn right around and watch his show afterwards.
You need to listen to the interview again. He said no such thing. He said he wrote a history book and that is all. He didn't go into Jesus being the Massiah but he does believe he is. He wanted to tell the story of Jesus the man. He does not poke fun or put the beliefs down.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,361,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The Old Testament Prophets were not at the crucifixion but knew every detail of what was recorded in the New before it happened. It is the Spirit of Truth who taught either by eyewitness or revelation what was to be recorded in both the Old and New Testament writings.
I would love to read the OT passage where the cruxifiction was described in great detail.

I believe in God, but I have issues with the Bible. I don't think God dictated people how to write the Bible. I admit my church states the Bible is the word of God, and in a way it is. However, it is not perfect and anything that is not perfect cannot come from God. The Bible is man's interpretation of the word of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity