Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times

Advertisements

Since this is a "Christianity" board, I thought it appropriate to ask if you seriously can picture Christ leading His disciples door to door asking for tootsie rolls...

But seriously, it's not that Halloween is about ghosts and goblins - it's really irrelevant what it is; it's the fact that God has delivered us out of the kingdom of darkness into His light, and has appointed us to be His bride, His body. So what are we to be, to do...but to bring deliverance to captives?

(There's nothing right/wrong about Halloween from a Christian perspective, except it's a total distraction from our Father's business...so is Christmas, for that matter.)

But I'm not speaking to Christians, am I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 02:53 PM

304 posts, read 302,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Who's Wicca" = "Who is Wicca". But I get it--you mean "Whose Wicca", as in who does it belong to.
:-| That's what I get for trying to do this from work in between phone calls. :|

Quote:
Well, glad you didn't get shot! I do think there is a core truth we all seek no matter what our beliefs are clothed in.
I would concur.

Quote:
I can agree with that. I had a lot of damage myself from what I experienced in the church I grew up in. It was all focused on hell and death and sin and punishment. Very dark. Won't go into detail here, but that was very harmful to me starting from my childhood, to put it mildly.
I've literally worked with hundreds of scarred from "church folk" who assume GOD speaks through His church and if that was his voice, then who would want to deal with that God. They teach a Fascist, like Mussolini God who is a threat. They forget that the Gospel begins and ends with, For God so loved the world....

They run in fear from God and want to be on HIS side of the fence for judgement, that means they are driven by Fear. You don't learn to LOVE out of fear. I have fun teaching people how to give the gospel message without every saying sin, hell, and avoid that whole threat they promote.

Martin Luther "rebelled" in part because of John Tetzel raising indulgence money by using scare and threat tactics.

it's amazing that those who are most proud to be Protestants, are in effect the exact same thing that drove us from the Church of Rome in the first place.

Halloween was a religious holiday. It still is. People that go off on the whole demonic crap rarely even know the history of the event. It's embarrassing.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:58 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Since this is a "Christianity" board, I thought it appropriate to ask if you seriously can picture Christ leading His disciples door to door asking for tootsie rolls...

But seriously, it's not that Halloween is about ghosts and goblins - it's really irrelevant what it is; it's the fact that God has delivered us out of the kingdom of darkness into His light, and has appointed us to be His bride, His body. So what are we to be, to do...but to bring deliverance to captives?

(There's nothing right/wrong about Halloween from a Christian perspective, except it's a total distraction from our Father's business...so is Christmas, for that matter.)

But I'm not speaking to Christians, am I?
Ah, so there we have it. You have decided that only YOU are a Christian and I (and others) are not. I did not realize God had given you such authority. I'll have to let my fellow parishioners know.

And yes, I can picture Jesus going door to door looking for tootsie rolls. At least if he lived today. He seems to have a had a great sense of humor. Perhaps he would be dressed as a Pharisee or a tax collector. If you can live every waking moment doing God's business, then bless you. Most of us live our lives and try to incorporate God into it, while others are able to give their entire lives to living every moment in Christ while at the same time spouting meaningless rhetoric about bringing deliverance to captives and posting snotty condescending comments to others on the Internet.

I bow to your superiority as a Christian, my friend. Go dance around your backyard firepit in the delight of your overwhelming confidence of your place at the right hand of Christ at his table. I'll see you in heaven when I'm mopping the floors.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Ah, so there we have it. You have decided that only YOU are a Christian and I (and others) are not. I did not realize God had given you such authority. I'll have to let my fellow parishioners know.

And yes, I can picture Jesus going door to door looking for tootsie rolls. At least if he lived today. He seems to have a had a great sense of humor. Perhaps he would be dressed as a Pharisee or a tax collector. If you can live every waking moment doing God's business, then bless you. Most of us live our lives and try to incorporate God into it, while others are able to give their entire lives to living every moment in Christ while at the same time spouting meaningless rhetoric about bringing deliverance to captives and posting snotty condescending comments to others on the Internet.

I bow to your superiority as a Christian, my friend. Go dance around your backyard firepit in the delight of your overwhelming confidence of your place at the right hand of Christ at his table. I'll see you in heaven when I'm mopping the floors.
Well said.

I LOVE that visual of Jesus "trick or treating" for tootsie rolls

Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
1) What enters your mind when you think about God is the most important thing about you.

2) How a person receives a statement is more indicative of what's in the receiver's heart and mind than that of the giver.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
1) What enters your mind when you think about God is the most important thing about you.

2) How a person receives a statement is more indicative of what's in the receiver's heart and mind than that of the giver.
Very true little elmer.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Oh, I can not only picture Him going door to door I can picture him laughing with the kids. I can also picture him teaching and talking while he walked along. (Probably enjoying a bite of candy and then giving the rest away.) And I have a WONDERFUL picture in my mind of him reaching out - with overwhelming love in his heart - to heal the leper that he was told lived in Apartment 3-A.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:20 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well said.
I LOVE that visual of Jesus "trick or treating" for tootsie rolls
I agree, LovesMountains . . . it is a lovely visual.

Quote:
This is absolutely true, little elmer . . . and it is what God cares most about. That is why it is so important to make sure we "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't . . . no matter what else we are doing. With love in our hearts we cannot displease God.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-02-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 03:52 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
I can only guess that some folks are upset that Christianity copies everything the world does. No longer is it a beacon of light. Some churches still refuse to celebrate it, while others have kids with masks and doing the while candy thing. Some churches even make it pretty fun.
I think it is just silly that they refuse to call it a halloween party. It is called a fall fest, hallelujah fest, etc. it is what it is. You gotta respect the jahovahs witness. They stand firm and refuse to budge. That is honorable. At the end, the kids are just getting candy and having fun. It is what it is and there is no changing it.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:53 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
I'm a fundamentalist Baptist. We don't bash Halloween. This is commonly practiced by JW's. They'll do the same thing at Christmas. JW's aren't Christian, their allegiance lies with "The Watchtower Society" and are not only considered as, but listed as a cult.
I've known Baptists who do disparage Halloween. Not sure what type they are (I know there are a lot of different types of Baptist churches).

There's also a "non-denominational" church that people call the holy-roller church in my area that makes a big to-do every year over Halloween being evil. It's the kind of church with a big bookstore/gift shop and a radio station. Sort of an entertainment center, I think. Maybe they see Halloween as competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity