Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

The trinity is one of many things I have acknowledged I have got wrong. The trinity doctrine is very convenient to justify the Godfather belief...... Good god bad god type of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Default My challenges

These are the main things I have been challenged on by Messianic Hebrews, Jews, SDA's, and some Christians to go study for myself over the last 2 yrs and through many of the debates on Citydata.

Jesus name is Yahushah/Yeshua/Yahshua..etc- I agree

Name of God is YHWH/YHVH/YAH, not God- I agree

Dietary Laws were not abolished- starting to fully agree

Christmas and Easter are not backed by the bible- I agree

Jesus didnt die on a Friday- I agree as it is impossible to get 3 days out of 1.5 days no matter how much you flip time around

Tithing was food and abolished- I agree and now we are to give free will offerings

Virgin Birth was made up by Catholic Church- I will go on faith and agree Virgin Birth is real

All of the Torah is still in effect- Disagree

Head coverings not required on women- I agree

You die in hell instead of being there burning for eternity- Makes more sense than eternal suffering

Sabbath is still required- Still not sure this one

Biblical Feast Days should still be celebrated- Still debating on that topic

No Trinity- Still pushing more toward a Trinity, but Jesus being the Son of God and not God himself

No Rapture- Still up in the air about this, but more on post-trib side the more I research

I never realized there was some much debates over the mains beliefs Christians have been taught until the last couple of years.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:24 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Understanding that Jesus is God is a requirement--because without a divine Messiah, he is unable to live the Law perfectly and atone for mankind's sins. If he's not divine then he only died for his own sins.
So, you are saying that I have to believe that it works this way in order for it to apply to me, assuming that it actually does?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,058 times
The Holy Spirit is referred to in Scripture as both the Spirit of the Father (Matt 10:20, Romans 8:10-11, 2 Corinthians 1:21-22, Ephesians 3:14-16) and as the Spirit of the Son (Romans 8:9, Galatians 4:6, Phil. 1:19, 1 Peter 1:11). Statements saying that the Spirit is "of" the other two Persons of the Trinity indicate that his Person is tightly bound up with and originates from them (just as the Son is the Son "of" the Father).

Old 10-11-2013, 10:27 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Have You Been Told You Were Wrong And Admitted It?
Several here told me I was wrong about eternal torment. I admit it. I was wrong.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:17 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If you believed a JW that there is no Trinity then you were lied to. I hope you realize that and change your mind on it.
Because JWs do not believe in the Trinity and you do does not mean they are lying about the matter. I'm quite sure the sincerity a JW holds to a monotheistic belief is just as sincere as the belief you hold for the Trinity.

There is nothing in the OT to support the Trinity and there is nothing explicit in the NT to support this concept.

At best supporters of the Trinity can only infer from the NT.

Just my two cents... read the Bible and compare carefully doctrines of men to what is found in the Bible. If there is a discrepancy then trust the Bible.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:34 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Have You Been Told You Were Wrong And Admitted It?

Absolutely. If anyone has not ever been wrong about anything then I guess they were born with all the truth and the only one ever born with all the truth was Jesus, as I see it.

I won't bother going into all the many things I was taught or believed that were wrong because I don't want to waste time arguing with anyone.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:01 AM

112 posts, read 117,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Have you ever been told that you had misunderstood something in the Bible and you had to concede that, YES, I was wrong. I have and one of the times came from none other than a Jehovah's witness.
There is no trinity. --then we disagreed on His name.
One God who is all things--only one sovereignty. Jesus who is both visible and invisible and within.

You are absolutely correct.

Not a trinity but a triad, three aspects of one, NOT three separate entities.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 AM

400 posts, read 601,984 times
This is what Sheila Renae said later in the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
This is how God is three in one and still all and in all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
You are absolutely correct. Not a trinity but a triad, three aspects of one, NOT three separate entities.
Quote:
The Trinity is the teaching that there exists only one God in all the universe, none before and none after Him (Isaiah 44:6,8) and that God consists of three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son who is not the same person as the Father, who is not the same person as the Holy Spirit. Yet, there are not three gods, but one.

In contrast to the trinity, a Triad is three separate gods. Each is a god. Therefore, in the doctrine of the triad, the Father is a god, the Son is a god, and the Holy Spirit is a god. This is not the doctrine of the Trinity.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Because JWs do not believe in the Trinity and you do does not mean they are lying about the matter. I'm quite sure the sincerity a JW holds to a monotheistic belief is just as sincere as the belief you hold for the Trinity.

There is nothing in the OT to support the Trinity and there is nothing explicit in the NT to support this concept.

At best supporters of the Trinity can only infer from the NT.

Just my two cents... read the Bible and compare carefully doctrines of men to what is found in the Bible. If there is a discrepancy then trust the Bible.
Im curious of 2 things.......

1. Can you give me the definition of the Trinity as Christianity has accepted it for 2000 years?

2. Would you read it if I we to give you the Biblical verses to show you that it is revealed in scripture--bot in the NT and OT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity