Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:59 PM

10,047 posts, read 4,983,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do you account for the passages that specifically say that God predestines and elects some, like Ephesians 1 and Romans 8-9?
Please notice it is Not who will be joint heirs [ Rom. 8 v 17 ] but that they could be heirs ' 'IF ".......
Those of Hebrews 6 vs 4-6 were Not predestined to fall away.
What is pre-detemined is the position of Jesus joint heirs or spiritual 'brothers' of Matthew 25 v 40; 1st Cor. 15 v 50, 20,23.
They are part of the first or earlier resurrection of Rev. 20 v 6, and to serve mankind in the assigned positions as kings and priests over earth, or over earthly subjects of God's millennial kingdom over earth.- Rev. 5 vs 9,10; Psalm 72 vs 8,12-14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM

505 posts, read 575,790 times
While its certainly true that each individual chooses God or rejects His free gift of eternal salvation, we can pray that every possible opportunity enters their lives. We can pray that they encounter witnessing Christians daily; that they see TV commercials, billboards, hear radio messages, internet videos, see magazine pages, overhear Christians fellowshipping at the grocery store etc.... daily and that the Holy Spirit will move and soften their hearts towards God and that they will listen to Him when He convicts them of their sin. We can pray that they listen to their own conscience and that they hear just the right Bible verse that will open their ears and eyes to God. We can pray that God puts these very people in our own paths so that we can witness to them.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,894,681 times
Quote:
Do you ask God to work in their hearts for them to believe?
Moderator cut: delete
Frankly, no, I don't. I won't pray that someone lose their faith.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Do you ask God to work in their hearts for them to believe?
Moderator cut: delete
I frequently get asked by my non-believing friends to pray for them when they are having problems or are in crisis. They know I'm a Christian and they know that I pray.

I ask God to provide for them and to help them. He knows what they need. I let Him worry about the particulars.

Besides I have great friends with good hearts. Why would I need to pray for God to work in their hearts? I believe He already has the moment one of them calls me at 2am and says, "You know I don't believe but please pray because....."

Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,790,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I frequently get asked by my non-believing friends to pray for them when they are having problems or are in crisis. They know I'm a Christian and they know that I pray.

I ask God to provide for them and to help them. He knows what they need. I let Him worry about the particulars.

Besides I have great friends with good hearts. Why would I need to pray for God to work in their hearts? I believe He already has the moment one of them calls me at 2am and says, "You know I don't believe but please pray because....."
Do you do anything particular in your prays, or just as simple as you said, "God, please help my friend "Bob" with his struggles of "so and so"?

Have your friends benefited as far as you can tell?

Just curious. My best friend who I adore needs some serious help and asked me to pray for him, but prayer never seems to work out too well for me.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:08 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,315,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
While its certainly true that each individual chooses God or rejects His free gift of eternal salvation, we can pray that every possible opportunity enters their lives. We can pray that they encounter witnessing Christians daily; that they see TV commercials, billboards, hear radio messages, internet videos, see magazine pages, overhear Christians fellowshipping at the grocery store etc.... daily and that the Holy Spirit will move and soften their hearts towards God and that they will listen to Him when He convicts them of their sin. We can pray that they listen to their own conscience and that they hear just the right Bible verse that will open their ears and eyes to God. We can pray that God puts these very people in our own paths so that we can witness to them.
.Great post. You may be interested in reading a recenew thread: Are denominations in keeping with God's will? - Part II.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Do you do anything particular in your prays, or just as simple as you said, "God, please help my friend "Bob" with his struggles of "so and so"?

Have your friends benefited as far as you can tell?

Just curious. My best friend who I adore needs some serious help and asked me to pray for him, but prayer never seems to work out too well for me.
My intercessory prayers are usually very simple, but if there is a particular need I'll ask God for that. An example would be "Dear God. Please bless Jack." (Jack has had a heart attack and is in critical condition in the hospital.) "Please heal his heart. Please send him doctors who can help him. Please bless them and all of the nurses who will be attending him. Please bless - *names of his family* - and help them to cope with this. Thank you for helping Jack. Thank you that he's in a good hospital and the paramedics got there quickly."

My non-believing friends ask me to pray. I will ask them to keep a good thought for me and my family. I'd urge you to pray for your friend regardless of whether or not you think it "works out". Sometimes things work out (Jack recovers) and we see the results right away. Sometimes Jack dies and I pray about that. Sometimes we never know how a prayer is answered. But I believe in praying about everything, knowing God will do His will, then thanking Him no matter the outcome. I pray and trust that God does the rest according to His will. I'm simply the intercessor. I know it's helped my non-believing friends just to know there's someone on the other end of the phone at 2am. It's a comfort and we all need that no matter our beliefs.

p.s. I'll pray for your friend. It's hard to watch friends go through rough times.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-24-2013 at 01:59 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Default Do you pray for your non-believing friends to believe?

Actually I know the efficacy of prayer is tied to the depth and sincerity of those doing the praying . . . that is why I find the prayer threads on C-D so valuable. The prayer warriors here are truly sincere. However, I do not focus my prayers on the specifics of what my friends believe (that is intellectually accept). It is their "fruits" that reveal their inner convictions and true beliefs . . . and that is what makes them my friends in the first place. Many of them express lack of religious beliefs . . . but their "fruits" and their inner convictions and attitudes toward life belie their proclamations, IMO.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,315,152 times
The prayers of Cornelius in Acts ch. 10 came up as a memorial to God. I am convinced that our God in His omniscience knows the heart of everyone on the face of the earth who is hungering and thirsting after righteousness and that in His omnipotence makes it possible for that person to receive the Holy Ghost which Peter said in Acts 5:32 God gives as a gift to those who obey Him. Then all who hold out and bring forth fruits of the Spirit until death will reap the benefits of eternal life.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:01 AM

535 posts, read 968,176 times
I do. It's no secret on here that I'm 71 years old. I like to think I'm as spry as when I was 63. I belong to a prayer chain. There are over one hundred of us, young, old, male, male and female on this chain. We get phone calls, emails, and news at church when someone needs prayer. One of the main requests is for salvation. It's like once someone finds it (salvation) and they want everyone they know to be prayed for to find it.

Being what our pastor calls a 'prayer warrior' is rewarding. Often, we get updates about how God is working in someone's life.

I have a burden for those who I believe are being led on the wrong path to salvation. The Bible is clear how we're to get there, and what is called Roman's Road sums it up wonderfully. I'm so thankful Paul did that, for if I did it the Road would never end.

So, you better watch out. There may be a hundred of us prune faced, old timers praying for you to find salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity