Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:28 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times

Advertisements

John 10:25-27
25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

John 6
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Those that "believed", the Elect, are Christ's Sheep, those He knew from the beginning. They hear His voice and follow Him. Those that "believed not" betrayed Him. They "walked no more with him".

It is clear that apostasy is a sign of NOT being one of Christ's sheep. The fruit of true belief is not apostasy. Belief will say "Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. and we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God." and even this testimony of truth is given to us from God.

The Sheep are Saved, not of works lest any Man should boast, but they also do not apostasy as they are "predestined" by GOD. What God starts He finishes.

Those in the crowd COULD NOT BELIEVE/come unto JESUS, because it was granted to them of the Father. This is His Mercy and should humble every single one of us.

We are nothing, and it is not up to US to "preserve" our Salvation. My salvation is in the hands of GOD... He is preserving our Salvation.

The Seal of God is not something that can be "kept" through human merit. When one is truly "born again" of the Spirit of God they are officially Gods possession.

Those that are Christ's Sheep are the "Elect" / "chosen". The belief they have is because God has granted it to them through His Spirit in regeneration. Those that "believe" endure unto the end because GOD has predestined them to be conformed to the image of His Son. Salvation is of the Lord and He will not give His glory unto another.

None of the Elect will be patting each other on the back giving them high fives boasting that they finished the race with their righteousness.

Any doctrine that leads to Pride (especially spiritual) rest assured is a false doctrine. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. Pride corrupts by puffing up. The Bible says we are wicked sinners needing a Savior. This hurts our Pride. The offense of the cross in the gospel is that we DESERVE Hell and that there is NOTHING we can do to Save or help ourselves... ONLY come to Jesus.

So the Elect are simply those that God has granted belief and repentance. The only thing the Elect can boast in is the Cross of JESUS Christ and God's Works in redemption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 06:33 AM

55 posts, read 62,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
John 10:25-27
25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

John 6
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Those that "believed", the Elect, are Christ's Sheep, those He knew from the beginning. They hear His voice and follow Him. Those that "believed not" betrayed Him. They "walked no more with him".

It is clear that apostasy is a sign of NOT being one of Christ's sheep. The fruit of true belief is not apostasy. Belief will say "Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. and we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God." and even this testimony of truth is given to us from God.

The Sheep are Saved, not of works lest any Man should boast, but they also do not apostasy as they are "predestined" by GOD. What God starts He finishes.

Those in the crowd COULD NOT BELIEVE/come unto JESUS, because it was granted to them of the Father. This is His Mercy and should humble every single one of us.

We are nothing, and it is not up to US to "preserve" our Salvation. My salvation is in the hands of GOD... He is preserving our Salvation.

The Seal of God is not something that can be "kept" through human merit. When one is truly "born again" of the Spirit of God they are officially Gods possession.

Those that are Christ's Sheep are the "Elect" / "chosen". The belief they have is because God has granted it to them through His Spirit in regeneration. Those that "believe" endure unto the end because GOD has predestined them to be conformed to the image of His Son. Salvation is of the Lord and He will not give His glory unto another.

None of the Elect will be patting each other on the back giving them high fives boasting that they finished the race with their righteousness.

Any doctrine that leads to Pride (especially spiritual) rest assured is a false doctrine. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. Pride corrupts by puffing up. The Bible says we are wicked sinners needing a Savior. This hurts our Pride. The offense of the cross in the gospel is that we DESERVE Hell and that there is NOTHING we can do to Save or help ourselves... ONLY come to Jesus.

So the Elect are simply those that God has granted belief and repentance. The only thing the Elect can boast in is the Cross of JESUS Christ and God's Works in redemption.

Not a matter of pride, it's a matter of knowledge.

Guess again.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintMePurple View Post
I know what he told Mose, I Am. That was a specific message to Pharaoh, there is only one Father, one Creator, I Am leaves no room for any other god.

Look to the Hebrew. They actually have several names for the Father, each name DESCRIBES a particular aspect of the Father.

Look in the dictionary, god is generic, lord is even more generic and leaning toward evil.

I know the Hebrew and the Greek...He told Moses, ehyeh ashur ehyeh, I exist...I AM in Hebrew is 'ani'...God and Lord are only titles...

Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
You are either being clever or simple-minded..........which is it?

I grew up in the country and spent 10 years in the military...I was taught not to get lost...The way I was taught one would have to be an idiot to get lost...

Old 11-09-2013, 06:43 AM

55 posts, read 62,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I grew up in the country and spent 10 years in the military...I was taught not to get lost...The way I was taught one would have to be an idiot to get lost...

It was simply an illustration of where the common christian finds himself, was not to be taken literally.

I never get lost either.

Read, and from a 'christian' perspective-

This reading is mostly correct but with a loss if emphasis.

Election in the Light of the Old Testament Background

Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Not a matter of pride, it's a matter of knowledge.

Guess again.
Matthew 11:25
At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

There is no knowledge we have that is not given to us from God. We certainly can not boast in our knowledge. What knowledge we have has been given to us and will be judged regarding how much light we were given. With more knowledge comes more accountability.

Luke 12:47-48

And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

No pride. It's an ugly thing that divides. Humility unites. Knowledge puffeth up, but love builds up.(book of Corinthians)

Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Taught not to get lost? Ouch.. what a dangerous doctrine to be teaching kids..

We are already lost. We need Jesus. God's works of redemption through Him is the "good news". We were in darkness but with Christ we are in light through His merit and Holiness not ours.

John 3:18
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

As the song goes.. I was lost, but now found.. as the prodigal Son.. dead but brought back by the Father through Christ and made alive through Him.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
It was simply an illustration of where the common christian finds himself, was not to be taken literally.

I never get lost either.

Read, and from a 'christian' perspective-

This reading is mostly correct but with a loss if emphasis.

Election in the Light of the Old Testament Background

So, you presume to teach me without realizing my knowledge base?...

Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
I know the Hebrew and the Greek...He told Moses, ehyeh ashur ehyeh, I exist...I AM in Hebrew is 'ani'...God and Lord are only titles...

and Jesus never called God HaShem ... which is why ?
"the OT which was a period of time not under grace but under law, the NT begins the period of Grace..."
So you by spelling G-D are putting yourself under the law, which as you know nobody is saved by observing the law but is under the curse.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Taught not to get lost? Ouch.. what a dangerous doctrine to be teaching kids..

We are already lost. We need Jesus. God's works of redemption through Him is the "good news". We were in darkness but with Christ we are in light through His merit and Holiness not ours.

John 3:18
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

I was responding to his analogy...Once your foundation is set you build on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity