Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
You've quoted 1 John 2:19 and John 10:28-29 as God said certain teachers will do in 2 Peter 3:16
"His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."
In other words ... you (for whatever reason) are distorting those verses.
What, if both of you, are distorting the truth because of your preconceived ideologies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What, if both of you, are distorting the truth because of your preconceived ideologies?
Then you'd be asking the same question that Pilot asked .... "truth, what is truth?"

It is not I who is wantonly refuting God when he says:

“But my righteous one will live by faith. And I take no pleasure in the one who shrinks back.”

by replying with:
If you think that we can "shrink back"...then all Jesus is doing is making us savable. He's not saving us if it's dependent on us.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:41 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,778,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
G-d
GOD. You spelled it incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
all of that stuff you said
Vizio, before I answer your post point for point, I have some questions for you.

1) Why did God create human beings?

2) Why did God give human beings the ability to choose anything (as opposed to programming them to serve Him and glorify Him unquestioningly)?

3) How are you so sure that you are in "the elect", given your view of election?

4) A baby is born, and dies ten days later of SIDS. The only things that baby did in his/her short ten days on the earth were: cry, sleep, move some limbs a bit, drink breast milk, and excrete waste. Has that baby personally committed a sin such that he/she deserves eternity in hell? If yes, explain how and why.

5) If you don't preach to someone who is in "the elect", unbeknownst to you, will that person still accept Christ and go to heaven eventually?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:47 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
In the understanding of a Calvinist, it is possible for someone to be predestined to salvation and yet not choose it? What happens if one of the elect does not accept salvation through faith - will God save him anyway?
It's clear that the "elect" are those chosen of God that are "predestined" to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ. All the elect did was hear the truth and God gave them the ability to believe on Jesus Christ. The result is repentance, faith, and service as God puts it in our heart and will to do His will.

Salvation is 100 percent a work of God. I was walking headlong into hell fire and God reached down and pulled me right out. I was not seeking Him. I was living rebelliously against Him. I wasn't invited to a church with the invitation and rose my hand. I had no interest at all in going to church. I was on the internet initially researching the practices of the Federal Reserve, than I got into some work from various evangelists, and I realized that we are indeed in the end times. With fear in my heart I believe my spirit cried out for Salvation. I believe at that moment I received JESUS Christ and was "born-again". For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved..

Those born-again are destined to be conformed into the image of Jesus Christ. It is God's work entirely, and what He begins He finishes.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
5) If you don't preach to someone who is in "the elect", unbeknownst to you, will that person still accept Christ and go to heaven eventually?
The person in the crowd could be the "The elect" and not believe at that moment. Obviously at some point and time prior to death they would have to believe and repent or they would not be the "elect".

Old 11-09-2013, 05:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

Vizio, before I answer your post point for point, I have some questions for you.

1) Why did God create human beings?

2) Why did God give human beings the ability to choose anything (as opposed to programming them to serve Him and glorify Him unquestioningly)?

3) How are you so sure that you are in "the elect", given your view of election?

4) A baby is born, and dies ten days later of SIDS. The only things that baby did in his/her short ten days on the earth were: cry, sleep, move some limbs a bit, drink breast milk, and excrete waste. Has that baby personally committed a sin such that he/she deserves eternity in hell? If yes, explain how and why.

No, I did not spell G-d wrong...

Old 11-09-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintMePurple View Post
Who are the chosen?

Are you chosen?

Why? What sets you apart?

Those that are Elect will believe and hold fast to the End...

Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 AM

55 posts, read 62,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
No, I did not spell G-d wrong...

You think you are not offending the Father by spelling god, g-d.

Funny as hell.....

His name is not god.

You offend him by your ignorance.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:58 AM

55 posts, read 62,830 times
Also, none of you have yet to define the Elect.

Because none of you are elected......and deep down you know it.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintMePurple View Post
You think you are not offending the Father by spelling god, g-d.

Funny as hell.....

His name is not god.

You offend him by your ignorance.

So, why don't you tell me what His Name is?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity