Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 PM

31 posts, read 43,944 times

Advertisements

as far as the church name. Matthew 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
church of Christ ( This Church is of Christ ) The building sign you see as you ride by is the building that the church of Christ gather in, in His name. The label on a candy wrapper tells you what is in it. Same with the Church. He died for it so i wouldn't cheat him by throwing your name up on his church's building.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM

97 posts, read 120,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Coney View Post
what do you see that church of Christ is changing or doing wrong when it comes to baptizing
Preaching that baptism saves, when it is Christ's Blood that saves. Thier interpretation puts such a large emphasis on baptism, so much so that from the outside, it can be percieved that baptism is as important or more so than Christ's Blood, or the belief.

Quote:
15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospelto every creature. 16He that believeth (and is) baptized (shall be) saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Did he really have to say and baptized not? when he gave the instructions: believeth (and is) baptized it should be no ? there.
Obviously though, the emphasis is on the belief in Jesus, baptism naturally follows if there is knowledge or oppurtunity. That is why it is not neccasary to say that "he who is not baptised is not saved" Not all who believe may (or will) be able to be baptised prior to death, or even know baptism before death. Belief (or putting ones faith in) in Christ is enough.

Quote:
You said: I am not happy with how they convinced me that it was baptism that saved me.
Well believing and baptism is what saves you. The bible teaches that. Its not that they are trying to convince you.

I enjoy typing to you on this biblical matter. Can you tell me where this church of Christ is you attended if you don't mind. I am a member of hilltop church of Christ in Winter Haven FL. Maybe someone in there needs to step down from teaching until they do more studying in the scriptures.

15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
It makes no difference where or who, as I am quite sure that there are many who put a strong emphasis on baptism being "the saving work" and I am also quite sure that you will agree with them.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM

97 posts, read 120,533 times
Quote:
as far as the church name. Matthew 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
church of Christ ( This Church is of Christ ) The building sign you see as you ride by is the building that the church of Christ gather in, in His name. The label on a candy wrapper tells you what is in it. Same with the Church. He died for it so i wouldn't cheat him by throwing your name up on his church's building.

We can go round and round, but I think I better stop. I am not sure we will ever agree that the name of a building can say something other than "church of Christ" and still be one of Christ's Churches.

Such as

Immanuel's Church, Christ's Flock, etc...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 PM

My best friend name is Immanuel someone may get it mixed up or a Immanuel may start his own church too. Its only one Christ. Their are also people that has other Gods but have you ever heard of another Christ? Not anti-Christ but another Christ

Flock is a group but in this name we would be talking about a group of people right? A church of people is a group of people. So why not say The churches of Christ like the bible says it in Romans 16:16.

Last point for you to ignore : Romans 16:16
Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
If it was just one "church group" saluting in this verse what would it say?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,781 times
Jesus founded a 'church' without walls, without ethnic or religious boundaries and without hate or oppression. He spoke of no system of hierarchy. He set no follower above another, but contrarily said "the greatest among you will be a servant". He taught (just as the prophets before him) to stop oppression, to feed the hungry, to reach out to widows and orphans, to be peacemakers - not warmongers, to treat everyone the way you yourself want to be treated. He did not commission the writing of any epistles and did not foretell the compilation of any special book to come.

His harsh words were reserved for hypocritical religious leaders, not the alcoholics, prostitutes and tax collectors He called 'friends'.

Men have sought to twist His message of universal peace and love and build a program of hate and even 'eternal' torment. When they imprisoned and killed people like me they actually thought they were doing God an honorable service. Now when some call me a 'devil' they think the same.

My heart breaks for those who are trapped in this religious lie of separation (from God) and doctrine of pay-back justice instead of the forgiveness we are here to receive and give - freely.

Jesus (Hebrew: Joshua) literally means "The Eternal One makes free".

May our Creator give us eyes to see and ears to hear.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:20 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Jesus founded a 'church' without walls, without ethnic or religious boundaries and without hate or oppression. He spoke of no system of hierarchy. He set no follower above another, but contrarily said "the greatest among you will be a servant". He taught (just as the prophets before him) to stop oppression, to feed the hungry, to reach out to widows and orphans, to be peacemakers - not warmongers, to treat everyone the way you yourself want to be treated. He did not commission the writing of any epistles and did not foretell the compilation of any special book to come.

His harsh words were reserved for hypocritical religious leaders, not the alcoholics, prostitutes and tax collectors He called 'friends'.

Men have sought to twist His message of universal peace and love and build a program of hate and even 'eternal' torment. When they imprisoned and killed people like me they actually thought they were doing God an honorable service. Now when some call me a 'devil' they think the same.

My heart breaks for those who are trapped in this religious lie of separation (from God) and doctrine of pay-back justice instead of the forgiveness we are here to receive and give - freely.

Jesus (Hebrew: Joshua) literally means "The Eternal One makes free".

May our Creator give us eyes to see and ears to hear.
Amen. I feel your pain, brother . . . it is very frustrating to see ignorance retain such dominance and destroy the message Jesus brought at such a horrendous price.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:34 AM

If you feel that you can name Christ Church anything then that is on you. Just be honest with yourself because like the scriptures say:

Ephesians 3

3How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
6That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:Ephesians 3

11According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

20Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
21Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Ephesians 4

11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ
Ephesians 5

27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

When you have a problem with the Church of Christ you are having a problem with the Body of Christ which is the _____? The answer is below

· Colossians 1:18
And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Let's live by the bible. Please do not make yourself think it say something else. Christ deserve a church by his name. To be safe just make sure Christ is the only name his body gather in. Amen

Old 03-21-2010, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,324 times
They also belive the power the 12 had died with them i guess like some fading magik show to only establish the church instead of getting off thier buts they play funeral home and excuse why there is no fruit that come forth from them other than from thier own sweat. also they say that no man alive has seen Jesus I say to hell with the hole Godless self proclaimed 1st century church
If they even resembled that 1st church miracles signs and wonders would they reap as fruit
but the faithless only make reasons why satan has power and unwittingly have resurected the defeated
serpent and excuse thier powerless dying people with scripture just like a funeral home not a church where Gods Chosen Are Anointed to carry the torch and spread the kingdom remember the great commission some dont belive that has any thing to do with them then mabey it does not but they shouldnt make claim to Jesus when they dont follow him they sayy they are waiting 4 him IS HE NOT RISEN? THEN MABEY YOU SHOULD FIND A PLACE THAT WALKS IN POWER WITH THE SAVIOR NOT IN DEFEAT BUT VICTORY IT IS DONE JUST AS MASTER SAID!!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,322 times
COC was very convincing at first, I am greatful that it actually enlightened me from the passive religious way so many people grow up with. But then it had its issues like any other church, even more judgmental and arrogant towards other churches. It's also religious to an extend, people are also doctrined. If you eventually leave COC, you later realize that there is no "right" church and that the kingdom of God is nowhere manifested in any church, just in individuals who have a genuine 24/7 relationship with God. The moment a human starts a movement, especially if it's not even a 100 years old, you can be certain it's phoney. I pray that people with weak emotional intelligence will wake up.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,482 times
Legalism breaks my heart. I had a friend who joined a legalistic church and no longer speaks to anyone, even her friends/family, because they don't belong to her church. It makes me so, so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity