Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Interestingly this COC appears to be the Protestant church that is closest to the RCC. They do baptism at the end of the journey which is similar to the Confirmation process Catholics have as teenagers at the end of the journey.

Obviously, they don't care about Virgin Mary, but Mariology was not fully developed 33 AD.

What is the format or order of the religious service?
I would correct just one thing you said. The coC does not consider it self protestant. Churches of Christ were not part of the reformation movement.

Instead they are a world wide group who have tried to restore christianity to its original, like the early church of the New Testament. That's why the the Bible is their sole authority.

One more thing, the RCC does not allow women to be priests. In the churches of Christ, women are silent. They do not take a leadership role unless is to teach other women or children.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 03-03-2012, 07:05 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
man does the announcements asks if anyone knows of someone needing prayers. This is an opportunity for everyone to make prayer requests for anyone in need. After announcements are finished, then the service begins. One of the men will offer up a prayer to God and name all of those people who need prayers.

Many churches do the same as well as the RCC, however we also ask Virgin Mary and the Saints to pray for us,

Quote:
Option A:
All: I confess to almighty God,
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned through my own fault,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done,
and in what I have failed to do;
and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord, our God.

Priest: May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.
All: Amen.

There is also: General Intercessions / Prayer of the Faithful:

Quote:
the Lord's Supper is always central. Some of the men have become so eloquent when praying that it brings tears to the eyes. A lot of time is spent preparing to take communion by singing, praying, and scripture readings.
Just like the mass.

The Didache (The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles ) says how to conduct the Eucharyst.

Does the minister repeats the words of Jesus?

Quote:
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 27 Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
Quote:
All in all, it is a beautiful worship service, one I'm sure is pleasing to God.

God Bless,

Katie
I am happy for you

God Bless you too!!

Julian

Old 03-03-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Many churches do the same as well as the RCC, however we also ask Virgin Mary and the Saints to pray for us,

Just like the mass.

The Didache (The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles ) says how to conduct the Eucharyst.

Does the minister repeats the words of Jesus?

I am happy for you

God Bless you too!!

Julian
In the churches of Christ, the men of the congregation lead the different acts of worship. A man may lead the singing one week, prayer the next week, and serve the Lord's Supper the following week. The men rotate their service to the Lord. It helps keep thing from getting too repetitive and commonplace. The only thing the minister does is preach, but on occasion, other men will deliver the message, as long as the elders deem them scripturally sound.

Yes to your question, the scriptures are always read prior to communion. They vary from week to week which ones are read. It is the choice of the reader. That helps everyone to be in the right frame of mind when partaking.

Kate

Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
In the churches of Christ, the men of the congregation lead the different acts of worship. A man may lead the singing one week, prayer the next week, and serve the Lord's Supper the following week. The men rotate their service to the Lord. It helps keep thing from getting too repetitive and commonplace. The only thing the minister does is preach, but on occasion, other men will deliver the message, as long as the elders deem them scripturally sound.

Yes to your question, the scriptures are always read prior to communion. They vary from week to week which ones are read. It is the choice of the reader. That helps everyone to be in the right frame of mind when partaking.

Kate
I think some folks like churches like coC because they are more intimate and have a "mom and pop" quality to them. I suspect that if a stranger came to your church he would be instantly welcomed by many.

There was a story about a Minister in the Journey Home (Rome) program of EWTN that before converting to the Methodist Church he tried to convert to Catholicism. However, he went several times to mass and no one approached him. He them visited small Protestant Church and was immediately welcomed into the fold by all. He went on to become a minister without academic training because he was a very good preacher. However, he eventually converted to Catholicism after studying Theology in Oral Roberts University.

OTOH, it is pretty easy to get lost in some huge parishes. So I see the warm feeling a person could get in coC.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Thanks for explaining everything to Julian. You did a good job.

I know you mentioned that each congregation is autonomous or independent of other congregations. I just wanted to say that each one I have been to is a bit different. For instance, no collection is taken during the worship service. A basket is left in the entry way and whosoever will can give. Money is never talked about unless it happens to be the topic of the preacher's sermon. Also, before services even begin, which ever man does the announcements asks if anyone knows of someone needing prayers. This is an opportunity for everyone to make prayer requests for anyone in need. After announcements are finished, then the service begins. One of the men will offer up a prayer to God and name all of those people who need prayers.

The order of worship changes from week to week, but the Lord's Supper is always central. Some of the men have become so eloquent when praying that it brings tears to the eyes. A lot of time is spent preparing to take communion by singing, praying, and scripture readings.

All in all, it is a beautiful worship service, one I'm sure is pleasing to God.

God Bless,

Katie
Thanks Katie! Most definitely, things can happen differently in each COC.

Quote:

Kate
Very true. I forgot to mention the scripture reading before the communion, except it didn't happen every week where I was a member last, only if someone chose to do so. The song before communion was always about Jesus' sacrifice as to get our minds set. It is definitely the most beautiful time of the service, and sure to bring a tear to one's eye.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:18 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
I think some folks like churches like coC because they are more intimate and have a "mom and pop" quality to them. I suspect that if a stranger came to your church he would be instantly welcomed by many.

There was a story about a Minister in the Journey Home (Rome) program of EWTN that before converting to the Methodist Church he tried to convert to Catholicism. However, he went several times to mass and no one approached him. He them visited small Protestant Church and was immediately welcomed into the fold by all. He went on to become a minister without academic training because he was a very good preacher. However, he eventually converted to Catholicism after studying Theology in Oral Roberts University.

OTOH, it is pretty easy to get lost in some huge parishes. So I see the warm feeling a person could get in coC.
I think if someone left the church without feeling he was welcome, God would be very disappointed. Of course there are always those who come, sit in the back pew, and take off right after services, but to those who will stick around a bit, most try to make them feel welcome, and introduce themselves. They will do so before services as well. There are always greeters at the door, and they will be welcomed then too. I have always felt more comfortable attending a church that had less than 200 people in it. I want to be able to say I know everyone in that congregation.

It is amazing what a simple hello can do.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I think if someone left the church without feeling he was welcome, God would be very disappointed. Of course there are always those who come, sit in the back pew, and take off right after services, but to those who will stick around a bit, most try to make them feel welcome, and introduce themselves. They will do so before services as well. There are always greeters at the door, and they will be welcomed then too. I have always felt more comfortable attending a church that had less than 200 people in it. I want to be able to say I know everyone in that congregation.

It is amazing what a simple hello can do.
Well, I have to admit it is quite easy to get completely lost in a big parish that holds mass four times a day with hundreds of people attending each mass. There are probably members of my parish that I have never seen because they go to mass first thing in the morning and I usually go to 12:15 PM mass.

The priests don't go out of their way to meet people, although the young priests tend to be more friendly.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
The elder may ask them a few questions, as to why they want to be saved, etc. Then the elder will ask them, "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?" They'll answer yes (confession).
SO you have something similar to the sacrament of reconciliation (confession)? Very interesting.

However, I am opposed to men only preaching in both the RCC and your church. I am not crazy about women being submissive although my wife loves being a wife and mother. She does it because she wants to. I would never impose anything.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
SO you have something similar to the sacrament of reconciliation (confession)? Very interesting.

However, I am opposed to men only preaching in both the RCC and your church. I am not crazy about women being submissive although my wife loves being a wife and mother. She does it because she wants to. I would never impose anything.
I have never felt anything but equal to my husband. Yet he is the head of me just as Christ is head of the church. That is how it is laid down in the NT.

Katie

Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I have to admit it is quite easy to get completely lost in a big parish that holds mass four times a day with hundreds of people attending each mass. There are probably members of my parish that I have never seen because they go to mass first thing in the morning and I usually go to 12:15 PM mass.

The priests don't go out of their way to meet people, although the young priests tend to be more friendly.
Everyone who visits our congregation is received warmly. We have fellowship meals often, and we always invite our guests to join us. That's one thing I especially love about our congregation. They are genuinely warm and loving people. But I have been in large congregations where no one approached us other than the preacher as we were leaving who thanked us for coming. So you're right. I much prefer small congregations, nothing bigger than 50 is nice.

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity