Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:12 AM

318 posts, read 263,098 times

Advertisements

Did Jesus mention to have faith in his resurrection after he was resurrected? Or did he mention to have faith in him before the resurrection? What is meant by saved by faith? Faith in what ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:37 AM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans12 View Post
Did Jesus mention to have faith in his resurrection after he was resurrected? Or did he mention to have faith in him before the resurrection? What is meant by saved by faith? Faith in what ?

Thanks
'Faith' and 'belief' are related terms.

The Greek word pistis is translated as 'Faith.'

The Greek word pisteuó is translated as 'believe.'
HELPS Word-studies
4100 pisteúō (from 4102 /pístis, "faith," derived from 3982 /peíthō, "persuade, be persuaded") – believe (affirm, have confidence); used of persuading oneself (= human believing) and with the sacred significance of being persuaded by the Lord (= faith-believing). Only the context indicates whether 4100 /pisteúō ("believe") is self-serving (without sacred meaning), or the believing that leads to/proceeds from God's inbirthing of faith. Strong's Greek: 4100. ??????? (pisteuó) -- to believe, entrust
Jesus told the woman in Luke 7:50 that her faith (in Him) had saved her.
Luke 7:50 And He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

He rebuked the fearful disciples for their lack of faith in Him during the stormy seas in which they thought they were going to die.
Luke 8:25 And He said to them, "Where is your faith?" They were fearful and amazed, saying to one another, "Who then is this, that He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey Him?"

He told the Pharisees that unless they believed that He was who He said He was that they would die in their sins.
John 8:24 "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."

After He was resurrected, Jesus told Thomas to believe that it was really Him, that He had been resurrected.
John 20:27 Then He said to Thomas, "Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing." 28] Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" 29] Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."

To be saved by faith means that the moment you believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again with the result that you trust in His finished work on the Cross whereby He paid the penalty for our sins, you are born again or regenerated. At that moment you are saved from the penalty of sin which is spiritual death which is separation from God.

The apostle Paul stated the following regarding the gospel.
1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures. 4] and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
To be saved by grace through faith means that we are saved apart from meritorious works on our part, by simply trusting in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
When asked by the crowd what the works of God were that they might do them in order to have eternal life, Jesus corrected them by telling them that the (singular) work of God was to believe on Him.
John 6:27 "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal." 28] Therefore they said to Him, "What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?" 29] Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe on Him whom He has sent."
Jesus called believing on Him a work, but it was a non-meritorious work in contrast with the meritorious works that the crowd thought that they could do to earn eternal life.

Last edited by Michael Way; 02-17-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 AM

318 posts, read 263,098 times
Does faith alone save in any denominations, or does one have to be baptized also for savior?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 AM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Does faith alone save in any denominations, or does one have to be baptized also for savior?
Whatever some denomination or other believes is not the issue. The issue is what the Scriptures say about the matter. If all you are interested in is the beliefs held by certain denominations, I will leave that for others to answer.

Last edited by Michael Way; 02-17-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 03:33 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
Father God with Lord Jesus are the only one to forgive sins against God , where Church cannot forgive sin against God , and churches do not save people , and the righteousness of churches do not save people ....People are not baptized for the church ...........The Church is there for Jesus by their works of Christ , and Jesus is the only to judge the qualification for salvation , as Jesus is the Saviour who the church baptizes people for , and Jesus forgives sins and only by the righteousness of Jesus do people qualify to be saved ............ Faith is believing through Hope , expectations and love things of God which are unseen through the spirit ........... Just like the resurrection of Jesus Christ who rose from the dead which is our judgment for God , as Jesus was killed by people who manipulated by the devil . so believer take a side against all the devils and darkness and resist them to be sinless for Lord Jesus , which repentance is , turning away from sin to God away from the world and the evil ..............Where believers receive Jesus and His spirit , as God is Spirit and sinless , so believer need to be in the image of God to be saved ...

Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,772 times
Quote:

Thanks
Faith in yourself maybe?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:37 PM

758 posts, read 848,768 times
Quote:

Thanks
John 1:12 - Is All you need to understand. Absorb the contents!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
John 1:12 - Is All you need to understand. Absorb the contents!
If it were all we need the Bible would be a lot smaller. Absorb all the contents of the Bible not simply select verses.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:34 PM

758 posts, read 848,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If it were all we need the Bible would be a lot smaller. Absorb all the contents of the Bible not simply select verses.
What I said was over your head! thus your accusatory finger pointing.

For a new believer; (OP) John 1:12 is perhaps the most essential verse to understand & comprehend. It starts the ball rolling so to speak.

When I first wrote that post - I should have finished my brief bit of advice by adding this to the end.

John 1:12 - Is All you need to understand. Absorb the contents & continue.

Notice: In that verse: Who gives the power? For what purpose ??

Thanx-ok-bye

Old 02-17-2014, 07:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus told the woman in Luke 7:50 that her faith (in Him) had saved her.
Luke 7:50 And He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
He rebuked the fearful disciples for their lack of faith in Him during the stormy seas in which they thought they were going to die.
Luke 8:25 And He said to them, "Where is your faith?" They were fearful and amazed, saying to one another, "Who then is this, that He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey Him?"
It says nothing about believing in him:

"Your faith has saved you..."
"Where is your faith?"

Evidently, your faith is in adding or subtracting from what something actually says.

"Oh, Ye of little faith?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity