Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
Answer: We'll just have to agree to disagree. That's what it means to you. All it means to me is that they're not really sure what they believe anymore. I grew up Luthern. I left home, joined a church and moved on with my life and my faith. There is no reason in the world for me to still be wrapped up in what Lutherns believe because I don't live it. Im not Luthern. If I have a friend or a family member interested in learning about the Luthern doctrine, I would never consider myself to be the know all about it. That would be arrogant of me and it would be a disservice to the Lutherns, who actually know what goes on in their religion an a weekly basis. Not me, because, while I did grow up Luthern, I haven't been there in so long. Im sure there's been changes or something. Is that hard to understand? I respect Lutherns enough to allow Lutherns to teach what they believe.
I understand what you are saying, but from the outside looking in (on the past few pages of this tread) I don't see any former member trying to "teach" or put beliefs into the mouths of the LDS.

To use your example, if someone asked you if Lutherans believed in the trinity, would you say "yes", or would you refer them to a relative to answer? I'm not Mormon, but I can answer some questions. Do they have temples? Yes. Do they get married in the temple? Yes. Can non-mormons attend these marriages? No. Like I said, these are basic principles, but even non-mormons can understand these things. Are you offended if I answer questions like these? Or should I flag down a Mormon and have them answer the question? I would not attempt to answer a question that I wasn't sure of the answer. There are many things I have heard, but have not been confirmed by LDS members, so I will not repeat them as doctrine.

I don't know if I'm making sense, I just didn't see any offense in many (not all) of the posts that you are clearly upset about.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:52 PM

230 posts, read 583,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
To me it's similar to bullying a person simply because you know for a fact the person is nonviolent and will turn the other cheek.

Annibelle, do you really think *I'm* the bully in this situation? Honestly?

What could anyone possibly say about Mormonism that would speak more poorly for it than your behavior on this thread?
I think that the only people who'd reply to what I said are the ones who feel guilty about some of their twisted comments (again some but not all). If you don't feel like what Im saying applies to you, then why respond? Ignore it then, and move on. What behavior are you applying to? Didn't someone mention growing thick skin? All comments supposed to be welcome. If you don't like discussing what mormons believe because every single mormon doesn't agree with you, then why not, in all fairness, go discuss what you really believe. I have my friends here reading your and my comments. I invited them to read along with me and let me know if Im saying something wrong or mean. They said I didn't say anything wrong, but that you probably just take it that way.Sorry you have to feel that way.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I understand what you are saying, but from the outside looking in (on the past few pages of this tread) I don't see any former member trying to "teach" or put beliefs into the mouths of the LDS.

To use your example, if someone asked you if Lutherans believed in the trinity, would you say "yes", or would you refer them to a relative to answer? I'm not Mormon, but I can answer some questions. Do they have temples? Yes. Do they get married in the temple? Yes. Can non-mormons attend these marriages? No. Like I said, these are basic principles, but even non-mormons can understand these things. Are you offended if I answer questions like these? Or should I flag down a Mormon and have them answer the question? I would not attempt to answer a question that I wasn't sure of the answer. There are many things I have heard, but have not been confirmed by LDS members, so I will not repeat them as doctrine.

I don't know if I'm making sense, I just didn't see any offense in many (not all) of the posts that you are clearly upset about.
Answer: Im not offended by anything because everything that you said is true. That's fair. But there was someone who tried to explain what we believe concerning excommunicated members and she was wrong. Some comments by ex lds have been much more carefully stated because I have been calling them on it. See, what really bothers me, is that initially, it was like a free for all with all sorts of twisted comments about lds. Now, it's like, hey, lets be respectful to all. Thats nice. But, I wouldn't be questioning others so, if the board had began with a more fair tone to it. Of course, if you want me to rehash, I can go back and start quoting others, but Id really rather not have to go back that far on the board to make a point.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,189 times
Quote:
Of course, if you want me to rehash, I can go back and start quoting others, but Id really rather not have to go back that far on the board to make a point.
Please don't, I've read the thread in it's entirety and that will be unnecessary.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 15,112 times
Quote:
I think that the only people who'd reply to what I said are the ones who feel guilty about some of their twisted comments (again some but not all). If you don't feel like what Im saying applies to you, then why respond?
But I thought her comments were fair. I had a discussion with my brothers just the other day about evolution, and we all had different beliefs, even though we belong to the same church. My older brother believes that the earth is really 6,000 years old and that evolution is stupid. My younger brother thinks the earth is six billion years old and that Darwinism is just an unspoken part of the Plan of Salvation. I'm somewhere in the middle.

It's true, not everything is doctrine, and different people have different views about different things. There is room in the church for people with lots of different opinions.

It seemed to me that you were angry because she was an ex-mormon, not because of what she said.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,380,141 times
God love your heart. For we should love and confess now the Lord Jesus Christ. He (Jesus) is the Savior to his love ones fron the beginning of time till (well there is no end to time). The Lord Jesus Christ died, rose,and is living today thru Love for me. Praise him and the Glory of our heavenly father above. Glenna

Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofSpades View Post
But I thought her comments were fair. I had a discussion with my brothers just the other day about evolution, and we all had different beliefs, even though we belong to the same church. My older brother believes that the earth is really 6,000 years old and that evolution is stupid. My younger brother thinks the earth is six billion years old and that Darwinism is just an unspoken part of the Plan of Salvation. I'm somewhere in the middle.

It's true, not everything is doctrine, and different people have different views about different things. There is room in the church for people with lots of different opinions.

It seemed to me that you were angry because she was an ex-mormon, not because of what she said.
I think if you came in late, it looks that way. It's nothing wrong with being passionate about the very core of my beliefs. But like I said, attempting to make an opinion be fact is not right. Some lds leave the church, and do not have ill feelings toward the church. They leave and that's it for them. They move on. Some lds leave the church and then begin to turn the things that they held dear to them into something twisted. Some of them will say, "this is what mormons really believe" and everyone will believe them. But still, in all fairness, you have to be there in the church to hear what changes occur. For example, some members after going to the temple will get on line and say, this is what they do in the temple. It won't be true or things have changed, everyone will believe them. But far and few inbetween will it be those who'll say, well I recently actually visited an lds church or I actually read the entire Book of Mormon or I actually talked to the Bishop or I actually go to the lds church every week - and that's not what they do. To me, from reading the board in it's entirety, most people are more quick to believe what an ex mormon or non mormon heard than what an actual lds person says. Still, I like being questioned about my beliefs, but people ask for too much if they think all lds people should just patiently take whatever unfair spin a person places on what we believe. I think, if it's not your religion being placed in an unfair light, then it probably doesn't affect you the same.

My major point with people like that is why do they want to "share" or "teach" what they know about the lds church with others if they don't believe it anymore? So basically, you want to go about "sharing" and "teaching" with others what you don't believe anymore? To me, that's strange. Again, it's absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions, but teaching or attempting to teach what you don't believe anymore seems unproductive. Why not do something healthy like teach about something you believe in? Like something that brings you joy? Of course, people are entitled to make comments, ask questions and have opinions, but if its about what I believe and I know its not true, of course Ill say something about it. You also have to look at the effect that some exmormons had on the history of the early lds church to understand.

Last edited by annibelle; 01-16-2008 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 01-16-2008, 07:02 PM

250 posts, read 503,564 times
Preterist:

If you could be as succinct as possible in explaining the Trinity, it would be appreciated. Keep it to the least common denominator regarding what you consider every Christian, who can be called a Christian, must believe.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofSpades View Post

Answer: If you go back to posts #219 and then read some after that you'll see. First, she came on the board trying to "teach" what we believe". Several members corrected her. Then, she began referring people to "sites" that lead directly to places for lds people interested in leaving the lds church. Now, she did not ask any questions. All she did was try to make an opinion into something true. It wasn't true at all. Then, she began again with trying to "teach" a person who had questions about excommunication in the lds church. She was wrong again. So, it's not an angry view I have toward what people like her do, it's a mere irritation because I don't understand their need, after leaving the church to try to teach it. Before becoming lds, I was very close to joining the Jehovah's Witnesses. Do I believe their doctrine? No. Would I be willing to go on a board about JW and ask questions. Sure. Will I go on the board and try to tell them, "hey, what you believe is flawed and it's wrong and I'm going to correct you on what you believe", no. That would be very arrogant of me.

Last edited by annibelle; 01-16-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
I'm going to leave this thread open for a period of time but here's the deal, stop talking ABOUT each other and talk about the issues.

If you get your feelings hurt when people ask questions and take them personally, you're taking them wrong. We all have had to and will continue to have to defend our beliefs. It's what this place is all about. If you don't believe me check out some of the recent threads in R&P.

This is a place to discuss, debate, and have civil conversation with each other, not about each other.

Please folks, let's keep it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity