Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
No and yes.

No, because members of the LDS church don't currently practice polygamy. (And most that I've talked to are very happy about that.) In fact, polygamists are excommunicated from the LDS church.

Yes, because the LDS church approves of the polygamy practiced by Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and other early Mormon leaders. Official church doctrine is that God commanded Joseph Smith to practice polygamy and that others were also "called" to be polygamists. So even though LDS members don't practice polygamy now, the church "believes" in polygamy in the sense that it hasn't denounced its polygamist past.
Then why is it on Big Love they are poligamists? I think this show cofuses people about what the true religion is all about. Do mormons really live together on a compound in Utah? I watch this show all the time and I love it! I just don't know if the way they live on the show is what actually happens in real life? I am just curious.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 AM

255 posts, read 608,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy15161 View Post
Then why is it on Big Love they are poligamists? I think this show cofuses people about what the true religion is all about. Do mormons really live together on a compound in Utah? I watch this show all the time and I love it! I just don't know if the way they live on the show is what actually happens in real life? I am just curious.
First, I should say that I haven't seen Big Love. (I don't get HBO, but I've been thinking of Netflixing Big Love because I've heard it's good. I've also heard it's not especially accurate.)

Second, although the LDS church (the Tabernacle Choir, Mitt Romney, missionaries with name tags church) doesn't currently practice polygamy many Mormon splinter groups do. The FLDS (the Warren Jeffs church), for example. Some of these groups broke from the larger church when the larger church announced the revelation ending the practice of polygamy. Others formed later when individuals became convinced (or received revelation) that polygamy was God's will and that the larger church was in apostasy.

There are also smaller polygamist families that operate outside of any organized splinter group.

Polygamists live in a variety of different arrangements. Not all live in compounds. (I once rented an apartment to a polygamist.)

Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
Coolcats,
Personally, a nerve got struck when the accusations started flying when you (and/or others) say we are "defining terms or telling you what LDS believes".
It was said that "we" subsitute terms, yes we do! We subsitute the historical, Biblical terms and meanings back into the language. That was the purpose of the dictionary, it was to show (as is understood) the usage of terms as confessed and written by Mormons. If that dictionary isn't accurate, then instead of pooh-poohing it, submit your own---- using documented sources that can be considered offical. I agree, I don't want to speak for you.
When Mormons regard Jesus in the following ways:
(1) As the first spirit child of Heavenly Father.
(2) As Jehovah.
(3) As the only begotten Son. you believe he is the only Heavenly Father physically begat on this earth.
(4) As the Savior. Not a Savior who did everything for mankind but rather one -
----(a) who conquered physical death for mankind,
----(b) who paid our debt and is patient with us as we pay him back in full,
----(c) who served as our example, showing us what we have to do to save ourselves....... Is a deep contrast to what the Bible teaches and also from what historically the Non-LDS Christian believed. The difference between LDS and Biblical Teaching must be voiced.

It is presumptious to think that any scripture quoted from Mormons is not subject to error. Any counter point is quickly labeled "private interpretation" or worse about those who dare to disagree with Mormons.

Last edited by twin.spin; 01-18-2008 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-18-2008, 05:26 PM

250 posts, read 503,380 times
Twin:

Perhaps you can explain P's doctrine of "Tri-unity".

Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

When Mormons regard Jesus in the following ways:
(1) As the first spirit child of Heavenly Father.
(2) As Jehovah.
(3) As the only begotten Son. you believe he is the only Heavenly Father physically begat on this earth.
(4) As the Savior. Not a Savior who did everything for mankind but rather one -
----(a) who conquered physical death for mankind,
----(b) who paid our debt and is patient with us as we pay him back in full,
----(c) who served as our example, showing us what we have to do to save ourselves....... Is a deep contrast to what the Bible teaches and also from what historically the Non-LDS Christian believed. The difference between LDS and Biblical Teaching must be voiced.

It is presumptious to think that any scripture quoted from Mormons is not subject to error. Any counter point is quickly labeled "private interpretation" or worse about those who dare to disagree with Mormons.
TWIN:

I will address your statements point by point.

1) Your first point is correct. Jesus is the Firstborn of our Father in Heaven. "And now, verily I say unto you, I was in the beginning with the Father, and am the Firstborn; " (D & C 93:21)

2) Jesus is the Lord, known as Jehovah, God of the Old Testament. Jehovah was also known as the great "I am", which is how He introduced himself to the Israelite nation through Moses while they were in captivity in Egypt. Later when Jesus was taunted of the Jews we read of His reply:

“Then said the Jews unto him, … hast thou seen Abraham?
“Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am” (John 8:57–58).
The jews took up stones to cast at Him because they understood the significance of that statement. He was indeed the God of the Old Testament.

In addition in latter days the prophet Joseph Smith declared:
“We saw the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us; and under his feet was a paved work of pure gold, in color like amber.
“His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:
“I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain” (D&C 110:2–4; emphasis added; see also D&C 76:23).

3) True. We believe that Jesus is the only begotten of God the Father in the flesh. "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14)

Also, "In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him." (1 Jn 4:9)

4) We also believe that Jesus is the Savior of the World.

"And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen. (2 Ne. 31: 21)

a) Yes, the Lord has conquered death. "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. " (1 Cor. 15:22)

b) Yes, the Lord has paid our debt, but we do not "pay it back". We repent of our sins and turn away from our sins as He has commanded us to do. "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;" (Heb. 5: 9)

c) We do believe the Lord set the example for us. "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps "(1 Pet. 2:21) Jesus, who was sinless was baptised to fulfill all righteousness, thus setting an example for all of us. However, we do not save ourselves. It is only through the name of Christ that we can be saved. See above.
Also,
"And now, ought ye not to tremble and repent of your sins, and remember that only in and through Christ ye can be saved?" (Mosiah 16:13)

Now Twin you know that you have twisted and misrepresented what we believe. As a Christian you should not do that.

Last edited by zimbabwe; 01-18-2008 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 04:49 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,894 times
In answer to the question of a definition of "tri-unity", I went to a dictionary source and found this.

Trinity: Webster’s dictionary gives the following definition of trinity: “The union of three divine persons (or hypostases), the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in one divinity, so that all the three are one God as to substance, but three Persons (or hypostases as to individuality).” Synonyms sometimes used are triunity, trine, triality. The term “trinity” is formed from “tri,” three, and “nity,” unity. Triunity is a better term than “trinity” because it better expresses the idea of three in one. God is three in one. Hypostases is the plural of hypostasis which means “the substance, the underlying reality, or essence.”

Does this help explain things a little?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
In answer to the question of a definition of "tri-unity", I went to a dictionary source and found this.

Trinity: Webster’s dictionary gives the following definition of trinity: “The union of three divine persons (or hypostases), the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in one divinity, so that all the three are one God as to substance, but three Persons (or hypostases as to individuality).” Synonyms sometimes used are triunity, trine, triality. The term “trinity” is formed from “tri,” three, and “nity,” unity. Triunity is a better term than “trinity” because it better expresses the idea of three in one. God is three in one. Hypostases is the plural of hypostasis which means “the substance, the underlying reality, or essence.”

Does this help explain things a little?
Thank you Urban. That helps. Preterist, is that what you mean? You corrected me when I referred to the "Trinity", and you indicated that you did not accept that doctrine. Also, a little while back you rejected the definition of "Christian" from the dictionary, explaining that is not an authoritative source. Do you now accept the dictionary as your definition of "Tri-unity"?

Twin, do you accept this definition as the truth and the defining dogma of all true christians? Momtofour? Urban? Others?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 AM

255 posts, read 608,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
Twin, do you accept this definition as the truth and the defining dogma of all true christians? Momtofour? Urban? Others?
I'm not, and I have never been, a big fan of people defining who is Christian and who isn't. Perhaps that's because I have never fit the standard definition.

If people tell me they're Christian, I tend to accept that. Of course, being Christian and being Christ-like do not necessarily overlap. I place more importance on the second than the first.

(Yes, I'm quite the heretic.)

Old 01-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
I'm not, and I have never been, a big fan of people defining who is Christian and who isn't. Perhaps that's because I have never fit the standard definition.

If people tell me they're Christian, I tend to accept that. Of course, being Christian and being Christ-like do not necessarily overlap. I place more importance on the second than the first.

(Yes, I'm quite the heretic.)

Thank you, Momtofour. I agree with you, especially that last part.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
Zimbabwe,
The Bible teaches that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost are not separate Gods or separate beings, but are 3 distinct Persons within the one Triune Godhead.
The Bible teaches that the Son and the Holy Spirit (as well as the Father) are separately identified as and act as God
--Son: Mark 2:5-12; John 20:28; Philippians 2:10,11
--Holy Spirit: Acts 5:3,4; 2 Corinthians 3:17,18; 13:14
Yet at the same time the Bible teaches that these three are only one God

The Bible teaches that Jesus is the unique Son of God; he has always existed as God, and is co-eternal and co-equal with the Father
(John 1:1, 14; 10:30; 14:9; Colossians 2:9).

While never less than God, at the appointed time He laid aside the glory He shared with the Father (John 17:4, 5; Philippians 2:6-11)
was made flesh for our salvation, thus being found in the form of a servant [state of humiliation], the God-man.

This is the truth and difining dogma the Bible teaches which defines the Christian belief.

Compared to these statements:

"Jesus Christ, the Son of God: Are Mormons Christian?"
the president of Brigham Young University (Rex Lee, What Do Mormons Believe? [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1992]
summarizes Mormon teaching by stating that the three persons of the Trinity are "not... one being", but are "separate individuals."
In addition, the Father is regarded as having a body "of flesh and bone"

The LDS Church teaches that Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three separate Gods
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 370; Mormon Doctrine, pp. 576-577)

that the Son and Holy Ghost are the literal offspring of Heavenly Father and a celestial wife
(Joseph Fielding McConkie, Encyclopedia of Mormonism, vol. 2, p. 649).

Are these statements from Rex Lee, McConkie, and the Teachings of the Prophet JS p.370, Mormon Doctrine, pp. 576-577, the difining dogma definition of the the trinity considered the offical teaching of the LDS church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity