Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 02:50 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times

Advertisements

Yes, clearly with the rise of China, and the higher standard of living in northern European and Nordic countries, it is apparent that God has decided to back the countries with the highest populations of atheists.

Not surprisingly, he's not backing a country where half the national budget is spent on weapons of war and every adult is entitled to have a gun, and where universal caring-and-sharing healthcare doesn't exist. That just doesn't jibe with his spirit.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Usually this is mentioned when the homosexual agenda advances in our culture... however is not not mentioned when the rich get away with breaking the law, or when the government let's crime slide without punishment to certain people.

But on occasion someone will remark about the moral decline and corruption of the country.

Here's my question. Will we know when God has had enough? And what will those signs be?

I remember when Hurricane Katrina was occurring - some would suggest God's punishment - people said they were crazy.

California has had numerous wildfires in their state - but to suggest it to be because of God's punishment would be insensitive to many.

You can even go back to 9/11 and the WTC - would anyone consider that as punishment from God?

How about the economy? Many people out of work... the government mismanages the money it gets and has the country in extreme debt... higher prices for necessities...

Deuteronomy 28 lists a bunch of curses that would occur if Israel did not follow the Lord. I know we are not Israel - but it would seem foolish to think that some of those predictions would not happen here upon us not following the Lord. And if the Lord did act, there are plenty of worldly excuses to overlook God's hand - global warming, the world hates us so they attacked, it's the Republicans fault or the Dems, etc.

I understand that the world won't understand - but will Christians see God's hand in these events? OR is it God removing His protection from us so that we self destruct on our own? OR do we simply echo the world's reasoning?
You know, when I read things like that, I really wonder about people's understanding of history. I mean, people get really hung up on the morality of homosexuality, but nobody wants to speak to God's possible outrage for things such as slavery, the inequality of civil rights, or a host of other wrongs that we as a society have worked hard to correct.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, when I read things like that, I really wonder about people's understanding of history. I mean, people get really hung up on the morality of homosexuality, but nobody wants to speak to God's possible outrage for things such as slavery, the inequality of civil rights, or a host of other wrongs that we as a society have worked hard to correct.
Bingo.

We have worked hard to correct it. We, as a nation, have done some pretty immoral things. Thankfully the Christians and Jews who marched for Civil Rights and sat in jail for their beliefs used the Bible to say, "This is immoral. We're going to change it." Instead of using it to complain and say, "America is in a moral collapse. God is going to punish us."

Really? God is going to punish the country that sings God Bless America at the seventh inning stretch? God's going to wipe out the people who go to church (because we have that freedom in our Bill of Rights) then go to a ballgame with the kids and sing God Bless America? Where does it say God is going to punish the nation that allows each of us to worship Him as we choose? Which part of the Bible says God is unhappy with us because we can read the Bible at the public library? Show us the Bible verse that says God hates the nation that allows people to go door to door and ask, "Got Jesus?"

God is going to wipe out the country because the LGBT community is getting full rights as Americans? Because that happens under the same system of government that allows each and every one of us to go to the church of our choice and pray to Him.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-29-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 03:53 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
It's in the Bible, not your personal opinion! Either you believe what's in the Bible or you don't. If you don't then that's your choice, but how does your personal opinion relate to a discussion on Christian views on this topic? How are we having a discussion about Christianity on this topic if all people want to do is to inject their own opinions on this? Why don't we just move this to the Politics & Other Controversies if we are going to do that.

I have no problem with you having a different view on this, I just don't understand what your view has to do with Christianity. Notice I haven't even given my personal opinion on this. I just point people to the Bible because that is the only authority that determines if we are truly suffering a moral collapse and all the signs point to yes!!!
Uh... because I'm Christian. I am not a Bible literalist/fundamentalist Christian.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Uh... because I'm Christian. I am not a Bible literalist/fundamentalist Christian.
There are small-minded folks who believe you're not a "real" Christian if you don't worship the bible first, the OT God second, and Jesus as an afterthought.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Exactly!

Old 05-29-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
There are small-minded folks who believe you're not a "real" Christian if you don't worship the bible first, the OT God second, and Jesus as an afterthought.
Oh, I know. I'll never understand the fascination with the Bible and how fundamentalist can believe they have the one and only correct interpretation of it.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oh, I know. I'll never understand the fascination with the Bible and how fundamentalist can believe they have the one and only correct interpretation of it.
You don't understand. Literalism is not faith. It's the requirement of proof. For their entire system of faith hinges on every single syllable of the Bible being the direct utterance of God. This is why they go ape if you point out some real inconsistencies in the text and why they have to go through some of the most convoluted explanations ever seen to rationalize away these inconsistencies.

Here's an example. The genealogy of Christ in Matthew is quite different than Christ's genealogy in Luke. The two accounts don't even agree on Christ's grandfather. They don't agree on how many generations there were. If we look at both from the literalist standpoint, then one of those family trees has to be wrong. Not inaccurate, but wrong.

Point this simple fact out to a literalist and they start to splutter nonsense such as "Well, back then they typically ran the bloodline only through the father, so the two texts are really discussing two different sets of bloodlines." Never mind that one of the accounts actually names several women in Christ's genealogy. They are using very broad interpretative approaches to defend a literal reading of the Bible. See the irony?

Last edited by cpg35223; 05-29-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 04:26 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
When I first started reading the Bible, I was convicted of the sin in my own life. So I don't blame others for discarding The Word of God/Bible in favor of more tepid versions of Christianity. It can be very intimidating to embark on a deeper relationship with the Lord because it requires you to change once you realize there is a standard of living.

As more people do this, the church is less of an influence. It loses it's saltiness and becomes watered down. The church has been "secularized" at this point. People who believe in the Word of God are marginalized. Right is wrong, and wrong is right.

So not only are we becoming less moral, but we are attacking the very standard of morality. The Word of God.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Never waste an opportunity to take a shot at Christians and the Holy Bible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.