Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
No He didn't and you are filling in gaps that aren't there. They clearly thought He was claiming to be God and Jesus never corrected them.

So by saying 'I say I'm God's Son' you don't think he was saying he was God's Son?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Fundamentalist,

I agree with Alice. The Jews were interested in their preception of the law not what was right or true. They did not like Jesus and he was claiming to be the Son of God, to them that meant he was claiming to be God in their eyes, when I say that I am the daughter of God does that make me God?

Were the pharisees/Jews perceptions right all the time? No.

When they said you claim to be God - he didn't say that is right I am God in the flesh. He said I am the Son of God. The Son of God has a different meaning than I am God the Son.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:49 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
So by saying 'I say I'm God's Son' you don't think he was saying he was God's Son?
Seriously what is the problem here, We believe Jesus is the Son of God but the argument here is the Jews accused Him of blasphemy. You are not an ancient Jew therefore you read the boom from a present day standpoint. The Jews back then were very, very sensitive with anything dealing with their God.

They accused him of blasphemy because in their words, he a mere man claimed to be God.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Seriously what is the problem here, We believe Jesus is the Son of God but the argument here is the Jews accused Him of blasphemy. You are not an ancient Jew therefore you read the boom from a present day standpoint. The Jews back then were very, very sensitive with anything dealing with their God.

They accused him of blasphemy because in their words, he a mere man claimed to be God.
Key phrasing: in THEIR words. Is Jesus godlike? sure. Is he a divine being? Absolutely. Is he Almighty God? No. That's my point.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Fundamentalist,

I agree with Alice. The Jews were interested in their preception of the law not what was right or true. They did not like Jesus and he was claiming to be the Son of God, to them that meant he was claiming to be God in their eyes, when I say that I am the daughter of God does that make me God?

Were the pharisees/Jews perceptions right all the time? No.
When they said you claim to be God - he didn't say that is right I am God in the flesh. He said I am the Son of God. The Son of God has a different meaning than I am God the Son.
You need scripture to support your defense of your arguments

and some how your perception is right? and how is claiming to be the Son of God, claiming to be God the Father????? Do you have any idea what is was like to live in those times, people dare not even utter God's name for fear they may pronounce it wrong and fall down dead. The Jews were very sensitive and Jesus who was also a Jew know EXACTLY what He was doing. especially when
(John 8:58)

58 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

No correction, no claiming to be the Son of God just, "I am" a reference that only God uttered and no Jew dare not. Jesus knew what he was doing uttering "I am". He once again was accused of blasphemy and they picked up stones.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
No correction, no claiming to be the Son of God just, "I am" a reference that only God uttered and no Jew dare not. Jesus knew what he was doing uttering "I am". He once again was accused of blasphemy and they picked up stones.
Some translations read, 'before Abraham, I have been'. It wasnt a name, he was stating. It was just factual information about his existence. The KJ tried to make it more than it was by inserting the capital letters.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Some translations read, 'before Abraham, I have been'. It wasnt a name, he was stating. It was just factual information about his existence. The KJ tried to make it more than it was by inserting the capital letters.
Didn't get it from KJ, it is "I AM"

Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Didn't get it from KJ, it is "I AM"
The Textus Receptus of King James' day is what his bible was based on. Many bibles today use the King James as their main source. Either way, in the original greek, the words were not capitalized.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
The Textus Receptus of King James' day is what his bible was based on. Many bibles today use the King James as their main source. Either way, in the original greek, the words were not capitalized.
doesn't matter, still says, "I am"

Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
doesn't matter, still says, "I am"
But not every bible reads that way. Therefore, don't you have to ask yourself...was he really saying it as a 'title' or was he just saying 'I am'? Certainly you don't feel God holds the monopoly on the words themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity