Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
This is cool to know, my son is 6 months old, and will be baptised soon!
praise God that you see your son's foremost need.

Mark 10:14
He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."

how does Jesus make it possible for babies to come to him Mark 10:14

Romans 6:4
We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that,
just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Colossians 2:11-13
In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands.
Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by Christ,
having been buried with him in baptism,
in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh,
God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,258 times
I really have been gone a while! Babies know right from wrong even @ six months? Was this posted as joke? Fill me in somebody!! And some of you believe it because what? "Yale" said it? Do you believe everything you read on the internet? Really? Wowww!

People, critical parts of the brain involved in decision-making are not fully developed until years later at age 25 or so. And, this not at the same rate for everyone. So please tell how is it even possible for a child of 6 mos be able to know right from wrong?

Please don't tell me about conscience/will .... everyone was born with one. God gave each of us free will. Now, not everyone can SUBMIT their will to the Creator..... We, all of us have choices to make every single day, and let’s face it , a lot of them are HARRRD!! Usually, hopefully....we make the right choice. But when we don’t, usually, hopefully....we repent and keep going, yes?

Now explain to me again how it's even remotely possible for an INFANT to garner this conception of right versus wrong at the tender age of six mos? I must have missed this phenomenon in my own children! Three times at that! Or, maybe it's me...??

This is a joke right?

Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I really have been gone a while! Babies know right from wrong even @ six months? Was this posted as joke? Fill me in somebody!! And some of you believe it because what? "Yale" said it? Do you believe everything you read on the internet? Really? Wowww!

People, critical parts of the brain involved in decision-making are not fully developed until years later at age 25 or so. And, this not at the same rate for everyone. So please tell how is it even possible for a child of 6 mos be able to know right from wrong?

Please don't tell me about conscience/will .... everyone was born with one. God gave each of us free will. Now, not everyone can SUBMIT their will to the Creator..... We, all of us have choices to make every single day, and let’s face it , a lot of them are HARRRD!! Usually, hopefully....we make the right choice. But when we don’t, usually, hopefully....we repent and keep going, yes?

Now explain to me again how it's even remotely possible for an INFANT to garner this conception of right versus wrong at the tender age of six mos? I must have missed this phenomenon in my own children! Three times at that! Or, maybe it's me...??

This is a joke right?
No, Yale said that they make moral judgments not that they know right from wrong.

Also, your thinking of the frontal lobe that is not fully devolved until the early 20s.

Many of our moral impulses are subconscious rooted in the lower/older centers of the brain.

Only if your skepticism was equally applied to the Bible.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
No, Yale said that they make moral judgments not that they know right from wrong.

Also, your thinking of the frontal lobe that is not fully devolved until the early 20s.

Many of our moral impulses are subconscious rooted in the lower/older centers of the brain.

Only if your skepticism was equally applied to the Bible.

Oh...that explains it then, they can make "moral judgments" at six months old (sarcasm on)? Really? So in retrospect, you only need "half a brain" to make a 'moral' decision? And, right/wrong, and moral decisions are interchangeable? At six mos? Pretty darn genius, this six month old infant!!

So I should take my skepticism, apply it biblically and then what? It will all make sense? What is this? Part two of the joke? You got to be kidding me! you kidding me right? I got it, ROTFL...........!!

But........ you carry on if you must!! wow.....

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 07-29-2014 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: typo's, comma's, etc...

Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Oh...that explains it then, they can make "moral judgments" at six months old (sarcasm on)? Really? So in retrospect, you only need "half a brain" to make a 'moral' decision? And, right/wrong, and moral decisions are interchangeable? At six mos? Pretty darn genius, this six month old infant!!

So I should take my skepticism, apply it biblically and then what? It will all make sense? What is this? Part two of the joke? You got to be kidding me! you kidding me right? I got it, ROTFL...........!!

But........ you carry on if you must!! wow.....
Really, Then explain the study away - why is there a huge statistically preference for the puppets that help rather than hinder. What knowledge are they displaying in that choice? How did experience influence that choice given that they are so young? If their rational brain is not yet fully developed then what part of the brain is making the decision? Why wouldn't the human nervous system have evolved such preferences and have them available at such an early age?

Go ahead teach away o wise one!

Did you even read anything on it or watch anything about this study? I am not sure what you think the study suggests or why it bothers you so much? Maybe your understanding of what morality is and what it entails is getting in the way.

As far as the skepticism remark: That was for the hypocritical method that you seem to apply to this studies conclusion yet have the gall to conclude/claim/assert things like 'God gave each of us free will. Now, not everyone can SUBMIT their will to the Creator.....'

Talk about a JOKE!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Really, Then explain the study away - why is there a huge statistically preference for the puppets that help rather than hinder. What knowledge are they displaying in that choice? How did experience influence that choice given that they are so young? If their rational brain is not yet fully developed then what part of the brain is making the decision? Why wouldn't the human nervous system have evolved such preferences and have them available at such an early age?
Did you even read anything on it or watch anything about this study? I am not sure what you think the study suggests or why it bothers you so much? Maybe your understanding of what morality is and what it entails is getting in the way.
As far as the skepticism remark: That was for the hypocritical method that you seem to apply to this studies conclusion yet have the gall to conclude/claim/assert things like 'God gave each of us free will. Now, not everyone can SUBMIT their will to the Creator.....'
Talk about a JOKE!
Lighten up, Shiloh. Betsey is a beautiful loving soul using a more complex version of moral judgment than exhibited by the infants. We are definitely endowed with a preference for the positive and the pleasing over the negative and the displeasing. It serves eventually as part of the basis for moral judgment . . . but does not itself qualify as moral judgment.`

Old 07-29-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Talk about a JOKE!
Oh, not bothered in the least, more amused than anything else! I don't need to explain anything away....you are the one who believes it, obviously. Some of us don't believe everything we read on the internet. No argument here......carry on. I'm sorry, what else did "Yale" say?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Oh, not bothered in the least, more amused than anything else! I don't need to explain anything away....you are the one who believes it, obviously. Some of us don't believe everything we read on the internet. No argument here......carry on. I'm sorry, what else did "Yale" say?

That's what I thought!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Lighten up, Shiloh. Betsey is a beautiful loving soul using a more complex version of moral judgment than exhibited by the infants. We are definitely endowed with a preference for the positive and the pleasing over the negative and the displeasing. It serves eventually as part of the basis for moral judgment . . . but does not itself qualify as moral judgment.`
First, I am not going to argue the semantics of morality. I agree with the general conclusion of the study and the idea that we are not blank slates but have preferences for moral decisions - whatever you want to label that. And the fact that she is unwilling to engage that study with some intellectually honesty instead of flippant remarks - speaks volumes.

Second, why is that you have an exhortation for me to chill but not her? My first response to her was short and to the point but she got upset at my remark about skepticism and came back with a bunch if sarcastic irrelevant comments. And I am the one who should chill - yeah right!

One thing I despise is hypocrisy and double standards masquerading as knowledge. If she is such a skeptic to such ideas why not her own theological ones?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
First, I am not going to argue that semantics of morality. I agree with the general conclusion of the study and the idea that we are not blank slates but have preferences for moral decisions - whatever you want to label that.

Second, why is that you have an exhortation for me to chill but not her? My first response to her was short and to the point but she got upset at my remark about skepticism and came back with a bunch if sarcastic irrelevant comments. And I am the one who should chill - yeah right!
Shiloh1, for the record, I'm not sure why you thought I was upset, again......not in the least. As I said before, I found the study to be quite amusing. And, yes, I read it. We can agree to disagree, yes? You believe the study, I don't, hence; no "brilliant theological ideas". End of story. Can we play nice? Yes? Ok...moving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity