Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 01:59 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Fear is not reverent respect. Fear is fear. Reverent respect is reverent respect..
Quote:
Pcamps: when it says fear it should be translated revere or respect

You just love you argue for the sake of arguing.

Thanks for the giggles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
John talks about God's perfect love that caused Him to send Jesus to die for us and it is that love that casts out the fear of judgement. The reason we should not fear God's judgement is because we are sanctified by Christ. Read all of Chapter 4 and you will see the love of God that John is talking about.

A few verses later John writes,
Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
If you love God, you will keep His commandments. This does not mean we should not fear God because He should be feared in a healthy positive way baca use of His power and majesty. There is not a single man who could look upon God without falling to their knees in fear and worship.

God is love. God is just. God is fair. God is true. God never changes.

I love God with all my heart and He loves me. The fact that you constantly question this is simply beyond me. Like I said, God has many attributes and love is only one of them.
This is very poor by a learnt fundamentalists standard. Is this your own concoction or something you have just read and regurgitated?.

So perfect loves cast out fear of judgement but it does not cast out fear of God?, which obviously to you is a good thing to have. Love cannot operate out of fear, it expresses itself by faith in the love that God has shed abroad in our hearts.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:16 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
This is very poor by a learnt fundamentalists standard. Is this your own concoction or something you have just read and regurgitated?.
So perfect loves cast out fear of judgement but it does not cast out fear of God?, which obviously to you is a good thing to have. Love cannot operate out of fear, it expresses itself by faith in the love that God has shed abroad in our hearts.
You know better than I what a fundamentalist is thinking, pcamps. I find their reasoning (if it can be called that) completely incomprehensible. One of the ways I can know if a dog owner is a good owner or a brute is their dog's fear of my "might and power" as reflected in my size. Any dog that expresses fear at the presence of people has been abused and mistreated by their human owner, period. Any human that expresses fear of the "might and power" of God (whether or not they CALL it reverence) is afraid of the possible exercise of that power and cannot truly love God. Without such fear the love is unbridled and overpowering. It draws us to God without question or concern or fear of anything at all.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

You just love you argue for the sake of arguing.

Thanks for the giggles.
Yet you like it to mean both. In other words at your convenience it allows you to speak from both sides of your mouth.

Perfect love casts out the fear of God that the religious elite have convinced us we should do.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You know better than I what a fundamentalist is thinking, pcamps. I find their reasoning (if it can be called that) completely incomprehensible. One of the ways I can know if a dog owner is a good owner or a brute is their dog's fear of my "might and power" as reflected in my size. Any dog that expresses fear at the presence of people has been abused and mistreated by their human owner, period. Any human that expresses fear of the "might and power" of God (whether or not they CALL it reverence) is afraid of the possible exercise of that power and cannot truly love God. Without such fear the love is unbridled and overpowering. It draws us to God without question or concern or fear of anything at all.
Not sure i know better but i used to feed of the same bread they ate. Talking about dogs, not that i don't mind enjoying our beautiful patio, my 2 dogs are really put out( me too ) by family being here with 2 other dogs and have chosen to stay out on the patio with their Daddy.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Yet you like it to mean both.
Actually, you are the only one who has said it means both Whatever suits the mood...... One thing today, something else tomorrow.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:36 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times
Quote:

As I said, I have over 300 places in Scripture, including God Himself and Christ backing up what I am saying. You have not refuted even one of these.

You can call me a 'fundamentalist' or whatever derogatory name you desire, and if it means that I stand firm and unashamed on the unchanging Word of God, then I wear it as a badge of honor in the name of Christ.

I know it's cliche but it's truth: God said it, I believe it and that settles it.

Anything that purports to be truth but runs contrary to Gods Word is not from God. Period. Very simple.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually, you are the only one who has said it means both Whatever suits the mood......
I don't and never will. So many different translations is a fundamentalists dream, even when your conscience tells you otherwise if there's a mistranslation that supports that which you know even your conscience denies you will go against your conscience.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:40 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times
Quote:
I don't and never will. So many different translations is a fundamentalists dream, even when your conscience tells you otherwise if there's a mistranslation that supports that which you know even your conscience denies you will go against your conscience.
Jesus read and spoke Hebrew, so do I. Jesus read the Old Testament and believed it to be the Word of God and so do I. Both Jesus and I have read the same words without change. The same words Christ taught in the synagogues is what I read today. No conscience required.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I posted both of your statements for all to see. Can you quote me saying what you claim I have said? Show me the quote where I said we should be afraid of God? Either that, or just admit that you made up yet another false claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity