Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was His death planned, and what was its purpose?
Gos planned it as a settlement for our sins, so that those who believe would have everlasting life 67 67.00%
Not planned by God, but His death still serves as an example and it "restores the community" 2 2.00%
Planned by God in order to release the Holy Spirit to men 5 5.00%
Jesus did not die for our sins, He was murdered 26 26.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:39 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You need to look at those poll results again.
I will stick to walking on the other side of the road.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I will stick to walking on the other side of the road.
Code for: rejecting half of what Jesus said.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:50 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I realize that there are purported Christian forums that hew to strict Bible literalism and conflate the Gospel of Christ with the OT beliefs under the veil of ignorance (blind minds) that Christ came to lift. I understand that the barbarous interpretation of a God who required blood sacrifices to appease Him for human wrongdoing has been accepted as the majority apostate anti-Christ dogma. I reject is as completely incompatible with the God Christ revealed who IS agape love. Christ's unambiguous demonstration of perfect agape love underscores my belief. He smote no one and loved even His torturers and murderers. Christ said when we see Him we see the Father. I believe Him and reject the savage and barbarous God portrayed in the OT under the veil of ignorance. I believe all those who follow Christ should do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The message is in both testaments. The God is the same in both testaments.
You need to look at those poll results again.
You have been told this many times but nothing seems to penetrate. God is the same because there is only ONE. But what our ignorant ancestors believed ABOUT God was NOT correct. That is why Christ was needed to lift the veil of ignorance over reading the OT to reveal the TRUE NATURE of God. The God as revealed by Christ is the TRUE God . . . NOT the savage and barbaric one portrayed by our ignorant ancestors in the OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What you reject is, half the words of Christ! I encourage you to read ALL the words in red!
I reject ANY and ALL words that are NOT compatible with the Spirit of agape love who IS God as revealed by Christ. That is the Christian God . . . NOT the OT portrayals of a barbaric God who needed to be appeased by blood sacrifices.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:52 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
My view is that the theory of atonement that a Christian gravitates to will be largely determined by their understanding of God's nature and character, or the view of atonement they have been taught will have a great influence on what they believe about God's nature.
Clearly, yes. I have a very good book called "Meditations on the Cross" that is very deeply spiritual. What happened at the cross is beyond our capacity to fully comprehend. I feel that these kinds of polls are designed to be divisive so I mostly do not participate in them, and like you said, the choices are way too limited. One thing left out was that Jesus showed us HOW TO DIE with grace rather than hatred.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:42 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
The purpose........ to prove once and for all that death does not have power over life. There is part of us that always has been and always will be and the power of death(which is fear) can never overcome it.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
May not be slinging scripture, but at least is is from original thought..

“No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”

“Why did Jesus die on a cross?”

Jesus died on the cross because he offended those in power.

Jesus died on a cross because he challenged the status quo.

Jesus died on a cross because love would not sit silently by as those who had little were being stepped on, used, and abused by those who had so very much.

“Why did Jesus die on a cross?”

Jesus died on a cross to show us what love looks like in action.

Read more: God Did Not Kill Jesus on the Cross for Our Sins

Old 05-01-2015, 05:04 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
I reject ANY and ALL words that are NOT compatible with the Spirit of agape love who IS God as revealed by Christ. That is the Christian God . . . NOT the OT portrayals of a barbaric God who needed to be appeased by blood sacrifices.
By what authority do you reject half of what Jesus said? If Jesus said it, shouldn't we listen? You are proclaiming a different message than Jesus.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
what authority? the authority of reason, commonsense, control, along with each other. What you got?

in part the cross was a lesson. It is really a lesson on many levels but I pick the one that shows us that literal religion is of the body and we should put it to the cross so that you can be guided by a perspective. That perspective has many levels and rows also. Reason, commonsense and control are examples.

"saving us from sin" is a misinterpretation my the ancients. The cross saved us from ignorance . Jesus was a teacher and eliminating ignorance was his goal. Jesus' foe are people that use literal religion to prevent people from learning more about his father. "the truth".

Look for it in your "savior" the bible all ye bible dumpers, it will be in there because what I said make sense. Because, I can't really dismiss empirical observations. I have no problem, as an atheist, with the notion of Christ figure because, in truth, that perspective is in us all.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
You have been told this many times but nothing seems to penetrate.
You might as well repeat 100 times that 1+1=5 and them mock people for not getting it.

You have your alternate beliefs, which is cool (it's a free country), but don't expect everyone to agree with them just because you keep repeating them.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You might as well repeat 100 times that 1+1=5 and them mock people for not getting it.

You have your alternate beliefs, which is cool (it's a free country), but don't expect everyone to agree with them just because you keep repeating them.
Is it really about "agreeing" to think like mystic? or PS? or Me? or even Finn?

NOT AT ALL. It is all about sharing the message as the evangelical would say. Just as I believe as I chose, so to will anyone else. But just as the evangelical comes here, so too do opposing voices and ideas to remind everyone we indeed have a choice and there is no absolute ONE WAY ONLY and there are other roads to attaining the same goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.