Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:31 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
Christians invented Christmas through the inspiration of European Pagan winter festivities. Throughout the centuries the holiday became infused with all things that are fictional, all in the name of fun. That it has evolved into a secular celebration that even non-christians thoroughly enjoy.

So what is the true meaning of the modern day Christmas? It is the spirit of love between family and friends.
This, in fact, is just not true. Of course you are completely free to believe whatever you want. I'm writing here for any who might be interested in knowing what IS the truth.

There are over 1500 YEARS of writings by the saints and holy fathers of the Church which say differently. Most of these writings are in Greek and have been translated to English only in the last 50-60 years, which is why most of the West, Christ-loving and pagan, are ignorant of the truths of Christ.

It is Christ, the God-man, who gave us complete freedom to believe in Him, or not. He never forces anyone.

The name of this holy feast has always been known as the Feast of the Incarnation of Christ in the Christian East. Here in the West (including Rome as Western...) somewhere around the year 1000 the word Christmas came into use, with the meaning being Christ's Mass, indicating the liturgical service for celebrating Christ's Incarnation.

Here in the USA, in the last 20-30 years especially, the true spiritual significance of the Feast has been increasingly mocked and denigrated by those who do not believe in, or love Christ. But again, Christ gave to ALL the power of individual free will.

I reiterated the above to remind those who hate Jesus Christ or who just reject Him entirely as one Who never lived, that I'm not trying to change your mind or heart. But some may read this who truly have questions about Him and what some here in the West know as Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:31 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
And you wouldn't want to do it WRONG

Actually, I attend Midnight Mass every Christmas Eve. I have a streak of 21 years straight, missing only on in 1992 because I was on the road traveling home from working out of state.

Midnight Mass is the most beautiful religious service that Christianity can put together. I place it on the level of any great work of art, a performance of Shakespeare, a night at the symphony. It is an event to which I enjoy every year. Regardless of the mythology behind it.
Why don't you stop being passive and say what you really want to say?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:41 AM

84 posts, read 100,225 times
Quote:
Christians invented Christmas through the inspiration of European Pagan winter festivities. Throughout the centuries the holiday became infused with all things that are fictional, all in the name of fun. That it has evolved into a secular celebration that even non-christians thoroughly enjoy.

So what is the true meaning of the modern day Christmas? It is the spirit of love between family and friends.
The Winter Solstice...it's the reason for the season.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:45 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Why don't you stop being passive and say what you really want to say?
I did

As far as Midnight Mass, yes, it is a beautiful service, regardless of the mythology behind it. I attend an Episcopal High Mass but have attended catholic ones as well. Locally, it is held in an older cathedral, Old for Florida, which means much of our citizenry out dates the architecture itself, but it is a perfect place for such an event, with high arched ceilings, stained glass and a most beautiful pipe organ.
Usually, members from the local symphony play along with the organ. Incense is used, and the Mass is chanted, not spoken, although it is in English. (Latin seems to have a more poetic intonation, but so few understand it anymore that it has even been abandoned by most Catholic churches. ) Everything about the ceremony is absolutely beautiful, as Adrian71 said,
A nearly transcendent experience.

Even though I am now an atheist, Midnight Mass remains one of the very few things I liked about Christianity. And I still enjoy it, looking forward to it every year.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikalana View Post
The Winter Solstice...it's the reason for the season.
We celebrate Christmas because of the birth of Christ. The date we celebrate Christmas is because of the solstice. There are still some people who choose to celebrate the solstice and have other traditions, but then they do not call it Christmas.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:50 PM

84 posts, read 100,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
We celebrate Christmas because of the birth of Christ. The date we celebrate Christmas is because of the solstice. There are still some people who choose to celebrate the solstice and have other traditions, but then they do not call it Christmas.
First, Christians complain that people are celebrating the Solstice in the traditional Pagan way (as described in the Old Testament of the bible - see Jeremiah 10:4), and that we wish others "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Yule" rather than "Merry Christmas," and then they turn around and complain if we refer to this truly Pagan holiday as "Christmas." We just can't win with you guys, can we?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
Quote:
First, Christians complain that people are celebrating the Solstice in the traditional Pagan way (as described in the Old Testament of the bible - see Jeremiah 10:4), and that we wish others "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Yule" rather than "Merry Christmas," and then they turn around and complain if we refer to this truly Pagan holiday as "Christmas." We just can't win with you guys, can we?
I'm not understanding what you are saying. I don't care what people celebrate on the 25th. I celebrate Christmas, and that is the celebration of the birth of Christ. If you wish to celebrate another holiday on that day then that is fine. Yule I believe is celebrated on the 20th to 23rd though?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:24 AM

518 posts, read 469,886 times
Quote:
I can see where you are coming from. But you need to realize that the religions who denounce Christmas for it's documented pagan roots and rituals are not the same religions who complain when you take Christ out of Christmas. You cannot lump all who use the moniker of Christian into one lump.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:48 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Your question is already answered: Scripture became infused with religious fiction or religious myths.
The Christmas truth is that Christmas is a non-biblical holiday mixed with some Scripture and labeling it as Christ's mass.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:37 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Your question is already answered: Scripture became infused with religious fiction or religious myths.
The Christmas truth is that Christmas is a non-biblical holiday mixed with some Scripture and labeling it as Christ's mass.
Not so....just not actual truth at all. I realize it's your opinion and you can think anything you want, but the objective truth here is that the celebration has always been all about the Incarnation of Christ. The fact that Jesus Christ was miraculously born of the Holy Virgin, and that He is the incarnation of God in man.

The special services of Royal Hours and Matins which are served just before the Divine Liturgy were written and assembled in about the 6th Century. Millions of Eastern Orthodox Christians have celebrated this Holy Feast every year/continuously since that time. These things are little-known here in the pagan, modern West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity