Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Using the Bible to prove the Bible is circular logic.
Most Christians I know tend to place a high emphasis on the words of Jesus. He kind of is the focus of our faith. Using his words is not "proving the Bible".
Quote:
You need to learn something from Catholic philosophers such as Augustine and Aquinas. I suggest you stop reading Calvin.
I didn't mention Calvin. What is your obsession with him?
Quote:

If you take Genesis literally then you cannot say I accept Christian evolutionists, that is a contradiction.
I don't believe evolution to be consistent with Genesis. But I would not declare someone a heretic for thinking they are. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 02:14 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Why would a Christian believe Eve was out of the soil of the ground when Genesis teaches Eve from Adam's rib ?
God took an organ out of Adam and built the woman around it. He used soil just as He did Adam. He didn't just poof Eve into existence.

They were both molded:

1Ti_2:13 (for Adam was first molded, thereafter Eve,

Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 PM

Is it possible to be a Christian and believe everything in the Bible?

Old 01-14-2015, 02:28 PM

Since Paul, under inspiration of the holy spirit, said that through Adam, sin entered into the world and through sin, death and that death entered into all mankind, (see Romans 5:12-19) thus leading us to believe Paul took the act of Adam eating the forbidden fruit in the garden as literal in Genesis, why should we not take the making of Adam literal as well? Paul did.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:40 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,957 times
When Jesus speaks of Adam and Eve, or Cain and Abel, or Noah or Jonah or Moses He does not speak of them as characters in a story, He speaks of them as actual living breathing people who actually existed. Over and over Jesus testifies to authority and historicity of the Old Testament.

Evolution's primary tool is death and Scripture teaches that there was no death until after the fall of Adam. Therefore, Adam and Eve could not have 'evolved'. Same with the animals. No, they were all created by God, fully evolved during the creation of the Universe.

I have yet to see a single peice of evidence that refutes the supernatural properties of God's creation of the Universe.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
When Jesus speaks of Adam and Eve, or Cain and Abel, or Noah or Jonah or Moses He does not speak of them as characters in a story, He speaks of them as actual living breathing people who actually existed. Over and over Jesus testifies to authority and historicity of the Old Testament.

Evolution's primary tool is death and Scripture teaches that there was no death until after the fall of Adam. Therefore, Adam and Eve could not have 'evolved'. Same with the animals. No, they were all created by God, fully evolved during the creation of the Universe.

I have yet to see a single peice of evidence that refutes the supernatural properties of God's creation of the Universe.
JJ_Maxx, excellent post brother. You hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
In some denominations, all that matters is "faith" and not "works." So in theory, a lying, warmongering politician could be a Christian in those denominations. If I'm not mistaken, Calvinists take that to the extreme, saying that God predestines people to heaven and hell, and they have no choice in the matter.
Faith in What is the question. Don't mistake "faith" with belief. The devil believes but that is not faith.
No denomination can get away from the doctrine of "Predestination", it's just mentioned too many times in the bible to dismiss it. Your understanding of the doctrine is utterly incorrect.

Romans 8-29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

AS you can easily understand from this passage, the people of God are predestined to be "Christlike"

A small explanation follows

Question: "What is predestination? Is predestination biblical?"

Answer: Romans 8:29-30 tells us, “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.” Ephesians 1:5 and 11 declare, “He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will…In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will.” Many people have a strong hostility to the doctrine of predestination. However, predestination is a biblical doctrine. The key is understanding what predestination means, biblically.

The words translated “predestined” in the Scriptures referenced above are from the Greek word proorizo, which carries the meaning of “determine beforehand,” “ordain,” “to decide upon ahead of time.” So, predestination is God determining certain things to occur ahead of time. What did God determine ahead of time? According to Romans 8:29-30, God predetermined that certain individuals would be conformed to the likeness of His Son, be called, justified, and glorified. Essentially, God predetermines that certain individuals will be saved. Numerous scriptures refer to believers in Christ being chosen (Matthew 24:22, 31; Mark 13:20, 27; Romans 8:33, 9:11, 11:5-7, 28; Ephesians 1:11; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; 1 Timothy 5:21; 2 Timothy 2:10; Titus 1:1; 1 Peter 1:1-2, 2:9; 2 Peter 1:10). Predestination is the biblical doctrine that God in His sovereignty chooses certain individuals to be saved.

Read more: What is predestination? Is predestination biblical?

Old 01-14-2015, 03:15 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:

Correct. Evolution is incompatible with a literal interpretation of Genesis, some of Jesus's teachings, and Paul's "as in Adam, so in Christ" theology.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:25 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
The Negative Proof Fallacy: there is no evidence that X is false, therefore X is true.

I cannot provide a single piece of evidence that refutes a claim that the universe was created by invisible elves living in a distant galaxy. Nor can I provide a single piece of evidence that we are not all living in The Matrix. Neither of those beliefs are falsifiable.

Remember, you can prove the existence of almost anything with a Negative Proof.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:49 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Negative Proof Fallacy: there is no evidence that X is false, therefore X is true.

I cannot provide a single piece of evidence that refutes a claim that the universe was created by invisible elves living in a distant galaxy. Nor can I provide a single piece of evidence that we are not all living in The Matrix. Neither of those beliefs are falsifiable.

Remember, you can prove the existence of almost anything with a Negative Proof.
I'm afraid your assumption is incorrect.

I believe in the supernatural creation of the Universe because of the evidence that supports that conclusion. Therefore, until new evidence is presented that proves this conclusion to be false, I will continue to believe in it.

However, I agree with you in the fact that if there were no evidence to support a conclusion, the Negative Proof fallacy would be applicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity