Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,314,901 times

Advertisements

The OP is fond of reminding us he's the poster boy for what's wrong with Christianity.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:37 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,487,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The OP is fond of reminding us he's the poster boy for what's wrong with Christianity.
The OP does have enough class to post on the Christianity Forum and not on the Atheist/Agnostics Forum though, doesn't he?

Old 01-17-2015, 04:38 PM

15,674 posts, read 15,824,331 times
Huh? I'm an atheist, and not obsessed with any of that. I don't give it any thought unless it's relevant at the moment - for instance, because of a news item.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
About 2.
Atheists do develop more slowly than average folk.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I never asked anyone to teach me anything and perhaps if you were so wrapped up in your own self smugness and sense of superiority and read what I actually wrote you would understand that. Perhaps you can learn from a vacuum but I need to read, investigate, ask questions and write down my ideas.

I do take responsibility for my education hence I read what people who take the Bible literal say and how they explain how things fit into their world view. That is much better than making prejudicial proclamations about other people like you have repeatedly done here.

There are some on this forum who although I do not agree with much that they think I have learnt from, at little or no cost to themselves. Some have thanked me for my questions, none other than yourself have seemed so full of themself. And you did ask the question in the OP which I honestly answered and you basically labeled me a liar. I am done with you.

To the Christians on this forum thank you and I hope that I have never come across as insulting or demeaning of your faith in your God.
Adios. I could care less. Don't that knock your socks off? Someone doesn't really care.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:43 PM

874 posts, read 639,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Ella, dear, I don't care. I try to be civil and i prefer an amicable debate, but I have had to swallow a lot and keep my cool. In all forums.

As I have said, I only come here if i see something I can't resist, especially an invitation to explain atheism or evolution.

If we then get some idiotic creationists tripe or some ill -informed atheism - bashing posted, then an appropriate response is given.

I know some atheists can be immoderate in their terms. There was thread about a church opening in Texas with the poster pretty upset that it wasn't going well. Some atheists took the chance to suggest there was no God after all. I wouldn't have done that, so don't ask me to excuse the other posters or to accept being regarded as acting the same way. We are all different people, atheists more so than others, so I don't see that I have anything to apologize for either as regards atheists who post here - if they had got out of line, the mods would have stepped in - or for myself.
Hey Arq,

I think you and I have forged a tenuous relationship - kind of like the mongoose and the cobra

I don't think you have anything to apologize for.

I do think that sometimes the atheists take it a little to far. My point is that we need a forum where we can be the Atheists vs the Christians. I just don't think that many of the threads are the place. Christians have a right to gather and discuss beliefs without being harassed, belittled, insulted, and generally beat up for a belief that is being presented in the proper forum. I know that every atheist on here has denied doing such a thing. But that simply isn't true.

You, yourself, called Christians "delusional" Hopefully we are beyond that. This is the Christianity forum. I have the right to be delusional.

You and I met a poster that alluded to having experiences that neither of us has had. We encouraged him to come forward. Why should he? Why should he expose himself to ridicule for what he has experienced?

There is a thread now that could be very good for Christians to share such experiences. One of the first posts was "It was dark. I don't like the dark. I prayed for daylight and sure enough in a few hours it came." I know that most atheists will find that funny. I didn't and I don't imagine other Christians will either. It is a total lack of respect in the Christianity forum. One cannot say things like that and not be seen as contemptible and disdainful. Atheists can justify it anyway they choose - constitutional freedom of speech, just his opinion, only conversation, etc. Every time other atheists pat him on the back and laugh and snicker, it just makes them as contemptible as he is. Hence, it makes everyone who identifies as an atheist seem the same way whether they are or not. Why do people want to been seen as jerks, as contemptible people, as ignorant people, as mean, cruel, hateful people, etc.? What can they possibly gain by being view as disdainful? Hey, jack, you can pull your pants up now, we've all seen your behind.

You and I have been able to form a line of communication - as well as the lion and the lamb can. So, I was hoping you could enlighten me. I really am confused and confounded by it all. Perhaps the radical atheists don't realize how they are viewed by the Christians. Perhaps, they don't care. Perhaps they need a dog to kick so they come here. Because of their behavior, all atheists are seen in a bad light. How can that be good for any of you? How can that help the Atheists cause?

The topic of this thread was "why?" Why would a person want to be seen as contemptible? Why does one want to come here to point fingers, laugh, and ridicule? I think they are legitimate questions. Everyone in this thread has denied doing any of this, but the posts are out there by the hundreds. I'm not trying to be difficult. I just want to know "why"?

Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,027,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Atheists do develop more slowly than average folk.
Well, to realize I was/am the most intelligent person on the planet at age TWO is pretty impressive, don't you think?

On a serious note, however, I barely comes to these parts anymore, even to discuss the bible and Christian beliefs. Your title basically asked atheists (and others) to come here to explain themselves and you got it. Also, I get this sneaky feeling sometimes that some of the threads started by so-called atheists are actually started by conflicted Christians in their waning days of hanging on to their faith, trying out their new sense of rebellion toward what would become their ex faith.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Well, to realize I was/am the most intelligent person on the planet at age TWO is pretty impressive, don't you think?

On a serious note, however, I barely comes to these parts anymore, even to discuss the bible and Christian beliefs. Your title basically asked atheists (and others) to come here to explain themselves and you got it. Also, I get this sneaky feeling sometimes that some of the threads started by so-called atheists are actually started by conflicted Christians in their waning days of hanging on to their faith, trying out their new sense of rebellion toward what would become their ex faith.
Whatever turns you on. I really don't worry about it myself. I'll leave all the worrying about what other folks do to you atheists. I have enough of my own problems to contend with.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:06 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,027,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Whatever turns you on. I really don't worry about it myself. I'll leave all the worrying about what other folks do to you atheists. I have enough of my own problems to contend with.
Yeah, like working on that sour attitude of yours.

Lighten up, man. Go meditate and commune with God and fill your mind with good thoughts.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM

50,139 posts, read 20,903,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
Hey Arq,

I think you and I have forged a tenuous relationship - kind of like the mongoose and the cobra

I don't think you have anything to apologize for.

I do think that sometimes the atheists take it a little to far. My point is that we need a forum where we can be the Atheists vs the Christians. I just don't think that many of the threads are the place. Christians have a right to gather and discuss beliefs without being harassed, belittled, insulted, and generally beat up for a belief that is being presented in the proper forum. I know that every atheist on here has denied doing such a thing. But that simply isn't true.

You, yourself, called Christians "delusional" Hopefully we are beyond that. This is the Christianity forum. I have the right to be delusional.

You and I met a poster that alluded to having experiences that neither of us has had. We encouraged him to come forward. Why should he? Why should he expose himself to ridicule for what he has experienced?

There is a thread now that could be very good for Christians to share such experiences. One of the first posts was "It was dark. I don't like the dark. I prayed for daylight and sure enough in a few hours it came." I know that most atheists will find that funny. I didn't and I don't imagine other Christians will either. It is a total lack of respect in the Christianity forum. One cannot say things like that and not be seen as contemptible and disdainful. Atheists can justify it anyway they choose - constitutional freedom of speech, just his opinion, only conversation, etc. Every time other atheists pat him on the back and laugh and snicker, it just makes them as contemptible as he is. Hence, it makes everyone who identifies as an atheist seem the same way whether they are or not. Why do people want to been seen as jerks, as contemptible people, as ignorant people, as mean, cruel, hateful people, etc.? What can they possibly gain by being view as disdainful? Hey, jack, you can pull your pants up now, we've all seen your behind.

You and I have been able to form a line of communication - as well as the lion and the lamb can. So, I was hoping you could enlighten me. I really am confused and confounded by it all. Perhaps the radical atheists don't realize how they are viewed by the Christians. Perhaps, they don't care. Perhaps they need a dog to kick so they come here. Because of their behavior, all atheists are seen in a bad light. How can that be good for any of you? How can that help the Atheists cause?

The topic of this thread was "why?" Why would a person want to be seen as contemptible? Why does one want to come here to point fingers, laugh, and ridicule? I think they are legitimate questions. Everyone in this thread has denied doing any of this, but the posts are out there by the hundreds. I'm not trying to be difficult. I just want to know "why"?
I am aware that atheists can come over strong. There are some whose actions do not suit me at all. I can't see me in a 'zombie Jesus' parade. I try not to engage in mockery (though it can be effective).

There is something going on - an awareness that there are questions to be asked and some changes needed. The ruckus over a reduction for prayer diner did not go down well with a lot of atheists. I try to encourage reasonably polite engagement with anyone who wants to question. Disagreement can be strong, but it isn't personal with me.

Eusebius and I fight like a couple bantams but we are good mates, really. Forged in the fires of McClellan. And I have enjoyed my sparring with my opposites here. And I do hope that some misconceptions and misunderstandings have been addressed.

Not least the one that supposes that evilooshun is as basic to atheism as the Bible is to Creationism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity