Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,014,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
My post was not directed toward you. I apologize if it appeared to be.

Unfortunately, some of the other posters were accusing atheists and agnostics of attacking Christianity and religion for no reason (other than supposedly hating God or wanting to offend people). My post was an attempt to address that.
Oh I know you weren't talking about me, I was just explaining how some of Christians feel when the same thing happens to us.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:28 AM

874 posts, read 638,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do you happen to have any examples of those sermons claiming America was going to hell in a hand basket because of women?
Well, after almost 50 years all I have is subject matter and what was being preached from the pulpit.

This was during the civil rights movement. It started with the equal rights movement. Women wanted to get an education and get jobs. Women were supposed to be bare-foot and pregnant back then. They tried to fire my math teacher because she was pregnant. If a woman worked, she did it until she got married and then they managed to wrangle it until she got pregnant. It was frowned upon for a middle-class woman to work - even though many lower end middle class families were virtually starving. People had 4, 5, and 6 kids.

The preacher was saying that the man was the head of the household and the Bible said he was the head of woman and if he couldn't make his woman stay in line and get these uppity notions out of her head about education and working, the lot of us was going to go to hell and burn forever. Women were supposed to be subservient. They weren't supposed to have any independence and they were supposed to stay home and take care of their man. If they didn't it was the man's fault and everybody was going to burn in hell.

Oh, lawdy, then the birth control pill came along. Satan himself thought up the birth control pill. Anybody and everybody who even thought about meddling in God's affairs by using the pill was doomed to hell fire and they could not be redeemed.

Actually, I think the pill came along first. Then the ERA. Church was hating on us for the better part of a decade. Maybe after, too. I wasn't there anymore to hear it. When the money in the collection plate began to fall off, they begin to sing a different tune. We all sat in church nodding our heads, but we kept our dollars in our pockets.

The church was hating on blacks, too, at the time. So the preacher would rotate between blacks and women each Sunday with one Sunday set aside for "tithing or go to hell."

Sheesh!

Old 01-17-2015, 06:49 AM

874 posts, read 638,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
To Ella Parr, the_human_being, et al.:

If more religious people were like TroutDude, many atheists & agnostics would have no issues with religion. I certainly wouldn't.

Notice how he doesn't make wild assumptions about atheists or agnostics or deliberately mischaracterize them. Nor does he use his religious views to bully those who disagree. As far as I know, he doesn't indoctrinate children with his views, or use his religion to control people, gain political power, or get wealth. Nota Bene.
We don't have to make assumptions about you. You do it yourself with your posts. Like the one in the "Gracious Providence of God".

When one goes into a Christianity forum and make a ridiculous post that makes fun, insults, and belittles Christians, one gets the reputation that he deserves. The truth is hard to deny when one's own words confirm it.

Like my grandma always said, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

What a great name! So apropos.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
Arq, I think you should be in this thread. It is pretty much addressed to you.

But see, Arq, you don't realize in this forum, Christianity, you shouldn't be "making a better case". This is not the place for "a better case". I think that is the point. As well, when you guys call us "delusional", "insane", "uneducated" and all the dozens of other things you call us, you aren't making any point at all. You're just bashing the Christians in a Christian forum. This is not the forum for bashing Christians. If you want to bash Christians, go to the A/A, or Judaism, or Muslim forums. If you have legitimate questions or comments about the specifics of Christianity, that is one thing. But many atheists/agnostics/non-believers are down right rude, judgmental, disdainful, and contemptuous. This is not the forum for that. Those opinions don't belong here and are not welcomed.

As I said earlier, whoever designed and runs this forum should add another category to Religion and Spirituality where Atheists and Christians can bash each other all they want to. This is not the forum for that.

Several posted that they come here because we are civil. I had to look twice at that statement. I don't see many of the Atheists on this group being civil at all. In turn, the Christians get irritated and they aren't so civil either. Maybe the Christians are too civil. Maybe they have been too tolerant of the opposing side. Maybe they should stop it. It is a Christianity forum, where the subject is Christianity. Maybe it is time for Atheists to understand that, tolerate it, or get out. Maybe there are some people that you can't be nice to.
Ella, dear, I don't care. I try to be civil and i prefer an amicable debate, but I have had to swallow a lot and keep my cool. In all forums.

As I have said, I only come here if i see something I can't resist, especially an invitation to explain atheism or evolution.

If we then get some idiotic creationists tripe or some ill -informed atheism - bashing posted, then an appropriate response is given.

I know some atheists can be immoderate in their terms. There was thread about a church opening in Texas with the poster pretty upset that it wasn't going well. Some atheists took the chance to suggest there was no God after all. I wouldn't have done that, so don't ask me to excuse the other posters or to accept being regarded as acting the same way. We are all different people, atheists more so than others, so I don't see that I have anything to apologize for either as regards atheists who post here - if they had got out of line, the mods would have stepped in - or for myself.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
Satan has such control over you that you cannot even see it now. An excercision is your only hope. Put your hands on your computer screen and repeat after me!
I thinkkk I think you are putting us on. really

Old 01-17-2015, 08:09 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,129,637 times
Quote:
Satan has such control over you that you cannot even see it now. An excercision is your only hope. Put your hands on your computer screen and repeat after me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Owa!
Tagu!
Siam!

Old 01-17-2015, 08:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,259,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
We don't have to make assumptions about you. You do it yourself with your posts. Like the one in the "Gracious Providence of God".

When one goes into a Christianity forum and make a ridiculous post that makes fun, insults, and belittles Christians, one gets the reputation that he deserves. The truth is hard to deny when one's own words confirm it.

Like my grandma always said, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

What a great name! So apropos.
You do know there's an ignore feature, right?

Personally, I like Freak's posts. But then I'm a big fan of people who aren't afraid to speak right up and say what they think. I'm also a big fan of the First Amendment and a free exchange of ideas. If what they say annoys me, I use the scroll feature. Easy peasy.

p.s. Plenty of rude, belittling posts made by Christians on this board. The atheists hardly have the corner on that particular market.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:48 AM

322 posts, read 243,809 times
Quote:
Wait! You have to send me $1,000.00 first as a seed of faith. Pm me for my address.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Wait! You have to send me $1,000.00 first as a seed of faith. Pm me for my address.
No need. Just send me your bank account details and I'll simply deposit the cash therein.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:24 PM

322 posts, read 243,809 times
Quote:
No need. Just send me your bank account details and I'll simply deposit the cash therein.
Outstanding. That's just like the email I got for a job opportunity. I should tell you this but I am getting several millions because they think I am related to someone who died in their country. I have to pay a small fee and give them my bank account numbers but I am sure it's all safe,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity