Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times

Advertisements

Warden, your bragging about how many times you read the Bible does nothing to advance your message. Just make your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Town Crier View Post
It is obvious by this post that you do not know the word of God...
You said:

"The truth is the only people in the Bible that Jesus vehemently condemned were the most Bible loving people of that era--the Pharisees"

And you are dead wrong... They were not following the Bible- they were following their own teachings and had cast out the truth (just like today's pharisees are). And that is the very reason that American Christianity is a dead faith. It has cast out the truth for doctrines of devils...

TC
And are you saying the Pharisees didn't KNOW their bibles? Is that what I hear you saying.

You haven't done much in the way of biblical studies have you?

Show me ANYONE IN SCRIPTURE THAT JESUS CALLED A VIPER other than a PHARISEE/SADUCCEE

You can't. Because there aren't any.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 PM

277 posts, read 227,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I suspect I've read it more times than years you've been alive. I used to believe it the same way until I had a Godly professor enlighten me in college to what I'd been missing. You should be so fortunate. I'm a licensed Baptist preacher, a former administrator in a Southern Baptist College. Have preached in scores of churches, and reject every bit of the ugliness that started to arise in the SBC in the early eighties. I left in the nineties never to return. And I still read and STUDY the Bible daily--not those Sunday School booklets that are your trade in scholarship, but honest to God textual critics.

With regard to homosexuals why not continue reading that Sermon on the Mount.

Matt 7:1-2

How do you see yourself DOING the will of God by DENYING other people--even sinners the right to sit at God's table?

Matt 6:22-23

If all you see is darkness and evil around you. You never see God's potential in any other. You see no spark of God in anyone or anything besides the Bible--how great the darkness that dwells in you.

Ah... So you were 'born again' by a godly professor... Now I see why you don't understand the scriptures.

The version you quote from and your comments likewise are so backwards from the actual truth, that I am not even going to waste the time explaining it to you... next.

TC

Old 03-31-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
And are you saying the Pharisees didn't KNOW their bibles? Is that what I hear you saying.

You haven't done much in the way of biblical studies have you?

Show me ANYONE IN SCRIPTURE THAT JESUS CALLED A VIPER other than a PHARISEE/SADUCCEE

You can't. Because there aren't any.

Why do you think Scripture says:

Jer 4:22 For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

And why Jesus said:

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Why do you said 'beware of the leaven of the Pharisees'... They were not teaching the word of God.

Again, your ignorance (lack of knowledge) is showing...

TC

Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Warden, your bragging about how many times you read the Bible does nothing to advance your message. Just make your point.
Did your buddy ask this question?

Warden- Have you even read the Bible? Everyone of your posts is contrary to what it says...

I replied with my bonafides. Fact is, the Bible is not my sole method of accessing the Son of God. And it no longer is even my PRIMARY method of doing so. The Bible is stuck in culture at least 2000 years old.

I look around me and see God every day. I see postings by atheists that say more about the power of the spirit than anything you've said.

If you read Isaiah the sixth chapter there is a story Isaiah relates that says in part, "I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple----."

Several hundred years later Antioches of Epiphanes brought an army to destroy Jerusalem and he rode a horse up the steps and into the Temple. Looking around he declared, "I see no god!"

It was the same Temple, in the same spot. One man saw God, and another did not. What was the difference? The eyes of faith. Faith gave Isaiah the ability to see God where no one else did.

And that is the world we live in today. For those with FAITH, they see God everywhere--in people, in events, in nature. But for those without faith they declare the world is going to hell. They cannot find God---God the Creator, God the Almighty, God the one they claim is Ruler over all. But they cannot see Him. Did He abandon us?

I don't think so. It requires eyes of faith to see God working today. I don't see the world in trouble because of sin---we've always had sin in an equal proportion to the number of people that live. I see the world in trouble because of that Pharisaical fundamentalism in American Christianity, in some middle east Muslims, in a few Buddhists, and even some Hindu/Sikhs. All of them have the same grounds for bringing an evil view to the world--a "holy" book. Not one of them talks about the Spirit of God as greater than the text of God. Not one of them emulates the best teachings of their most revered leaders. Instead, like this "religious" freedom law, they emulate the worst in their "holy" writings.

If you aren't able to find God in someone, somewhere, every single day, then you don't know Jesus. Jesus gives you eyes of faith to look for the best, not the worst in others. Isn't that what Jesus did?
Nowhere is it recorded that Jesus said to any person--go read your bible. Not once. If it were as holy as you hold it out to be, shouldn't He have said that ONCE, SOMEWHERE? And if you are going to give me a quote--and then doctor it up with your interpretation, then you haven't let scripture speak for itself, you've given me the jimmie version of scripture. That could only be good for you because I believe in an old time Southern Baptist doctrine, rooted out by the fundamentalism that has invaded that denomination today, called Priesthood of the Believer. Look it up. It's dead and gone, but is at the heart of my own beliefs.

No matter how you want to cut the mustard, when you discard 4% to 5% of the population because of how they were born, you practice bigotry in the name of God.

And that is as anti-Christ as anyone can be.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Town Crier View Post
Why do you think Scripture says:

Jer 4:22 For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

And why Jesus said:

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Why do you said 'beware of the leaven of the Pharisees'... They were not teaching the word of God.

Again, your ignorance (lack of knowledge) is showing...

TC
Well all those last verses apply directly to the Town Crier. He has invented a god that hates other people for how they were born, and he does it in the name of Jesus Christ.

Where did JESUS reject any homosexual? Never. In fact there is pretty darn good evidence He HEALED a homosexual, or at least one in a homosexual relationship. But to understand that you have to get your nose out of the Bible and read something called HISTORY, as in the history of the Romans--particularly their soldiers who were not permitted to marry. But they did (if they were of the rank and had the money), with complicity on the part of the Roman government, take or find young men to be their "attendants."

The story is found in Matthew 8
Quote:
When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6"Lord," he said, "my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering." 7Jesus said to him, "I will go and heal him." 8The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it." 10When Jesus heard this, He was astonished and said to those following Him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith
Matt 8:5-10

Now you will fight this with all your being, but it remains a fact that "servants" of men of power were often sexual surrogates for the lack of wives which they were not allowed to take with them overseas. And the story itself (1) hints at a stronger affection than a Master and servant, and (2) indicates the Centurion really didn't want Jesus in his home to discover something he knew the Jews didn't accept very well.

And how does our Lord act? Why he praises the Centurion for his faith.

No, it isn't 100% that this was the case. But the word pais can be translated three ways. In the language of the time, pais had three possible meanings depending upon the context in which it was used. It could mean “son or boy;” it could mean “servant,” or it could mean a particular type of servant — one who was “his master’s male lover.” To our modern minds, the idea of buying a teen lover seems repugnant. But we have to place this in the context of ancient cultural norms. In ancient times, commercial transactions were the predominant means of forming relationships. Under the law, the wife was viewed as the property of the husband, with a status just above that of slave. Moreover, in Jesus’ day, a boy or girl was considered of marriageable age upon reaching his or her early teens.

So you will jump to the conclusion that this could not possibly be the third type of pais. But within the context of scripture it fits quite well. Further you will reject it because you are not a truth seeker, you are one wishing to declare your view of truth.

I choose to make a mistake, if I make one, on the side of standing WITH someone. You choose to make your mistakes, based on dogma that you were indoctrinated with. Because there is no way you are going to study and let a kernel of doubt form in your mind.

But here is the real truth. Without a kernel of doubt, there is no faith.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I don't see the world in trouble because of sin---we've always had sin in an equal proportion to the number of people
And therein lies your problem. Read John 3. Actually, since you've read it so many times, you probably can just recall it.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And therein lies your problem. Read John 3. Actually, since you've read it so many times, you probably can just recall it.
There are always exceptions to rules, jimmie. And if you read all that chapter, Jesus wasn't that kind to Nicodemus either. He pretty well chastised him for being a respected Jewish teacher who didn't understand.

Will you get enough of the Spirit of God to be an exception yourself?

There are homosexual exceptions, too. They're called CHRISTIANS

Old 03-31-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
There are always exceptions to rules, jimmie. And if you read all that chapter, Jesus wasn't that kind to Nicodemus either. He pretty well chastised him for being a respected Jewish teacher who didn't understand.

Will you get enough of the Spirit of God to be one yourself?

There are homosexual exceptions, too. They're called CHRISTIANS
Can you please wait to hit post until you've finished your thoughts? Sheesh! Everytime I quote you, you've added something else.

Jesus convicted Nicodemus of his sin. Nicodemus was saved that day.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Well all those last verses apply directly to the Town Crier. He has invented a god that hates other people for how they were born, and he does it in the name of Jesus Christ.

Where did JESUS reject any homosexual? Never. In fact there is pretty darn good evidence He HEALED a homosexual, or at least one in a homosexual relationship. But to understand that you have to get your nose out of the Bible and read something called HISTORY, as in the history of the Romans--particularly their soldiers who were not permitted to marry. But they did (if they were of the rank and had the money), with complicity on the part of the Roman government, take or find young men to be their "attendants."

The story is found in Matthew 8
Matt 8:5-10

Now you will fight this with all your being, but it remains a fact that "servants" of men of power were often sexual surrogates for the lack of wives which they were not allowed to take with them overseas. And the story itself (1) hints at a stronger affection than a Master and servant, and (2) indicates the Centurion really didn't want Jesus in his home to discover something he knew the Jews didn't accept very well.

And how does our Lord act? Why he praises the Centurion for his faith.

No, it isn't 100% that this was the case. But the word pais can be translated three ways. In the language of the time, pais had three possible meanings depending upon the context in which it was used. It could mean “son or boy;” it could mean “servant,” or it could mean a particular type of servant — one who was “his master’s male lover.” To our modern minds, the idea of buying a teen lover seems repugnant. But we have to place this in the context of ancient cultural norms. In ancient times, commercial transactions were the predominant means of forming relationships. Under the law, the wife was viewed as the property of the husband, with a status just above that of slave. Moreover, in Jesus’ day, a boy or girl was considered of marriageable age upon reaching his or her early teens.

So you will jump to the conclusion that this could not possibly be the third type of pais. But within the context of scripture it fits quite well. Further you will reject it because you are not a truth seeker, you are one wishing to declare your view of truth.

I choose to make a mistake, if I make one, on the side of standing WITH someone. You choose to make your mistakes, based on dogma that you were indoctrinated with. Because there is no way you are going to study and let a kernel of doubt form in your mind.

But here is the real truth. Without a kernel of doubt, there is no faith.

Wow... First you tell me to get my nose out of the Bible and trust the teachings of men, and then you try to beguile me with fake words... As the Lord says-get thee hence Satan.

Don't even try to twist the word of God to fit your delusion...

Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

You want to be a partaker of their evil deeds, go ahead. I ll not be following you down that path.

TC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity