Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 03:19 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,554,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Try it. Give an address only ... see if they will let you do it... without an account number... without providing the last four of your SSN or some other verification.

Regardless of the analogy...

John 6:29 - Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."

The Holy Spirit must be received through believing in Christ. That's the program GOD put in place.
I disagree with your evaluation of that verse in particular. This is the WORK of God. It's God's work that you believe not YOUR WORK. Does God not complete his work? Is he incompetent?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:21 PM

63,999 posts, read 40,299,200 times
Quote:
John 6:29 - Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."
The Holy Spirit must be received through believing in Christ. That's the program GOD put in place.
You insist on misunderstanding the phrase "pisteuo eis" as "believe IN" but it has nothing to do with superficial acceptance and beliefs IN things ABOUT Christ. It is an inner response (believe ON/INTO) to a higher authority (Comforter) that is reflected in our "fruits" as delineated in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount . . . by their fruits will you know they are mine.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:31 PM

45,750 posts, read 27,380,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I disagree with your evaluation of that verse in particular. This is the WORK of God. It's God's work that you believe not YOUR WORK. Does God not complete his work? Is he incompetent?
The bold is exactly correct.

The underlined must occur. Our belief is PART of God's work. It is absolutely necessary that we believe. And what does that say for those who do not believe?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
The bold is exactly correct.

The underlined must occur. Our belief is PART of God's work. It is absolutely necessary that we believe. And what does that say for those who do not believe?
Again... your belief is dependent on God's work. If he doesn't do the work then you won't believe. Those that don't believe WILL because God doesn't fail (even though you think he does).

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.…

God is the one working. Unbelievers are also God's work. It is not you who believe, it is God working in you that has you believing.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Again... your belief is dependent on God's work. If he doesn't do the work then you won't believe. Those that don't believe WILL because God doesn't fail (even though you think he does).

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.…

God is the one working. Unbelievers are also God's work. It is not you who believe, it is God working in you that has you believing.
You were good until you got to the red.

God does have a purpose for unbelievers...

Proverbs 16:4 - The LORD has made everything for its own purpose, Even the wicked for the day of evil.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Proverbs 16:4 - The LORD has made everything for its own purpose, Even the wicked for the day of evil.
Why do you have such animosity for it being God that succeeds in getting what he desires? Why is Universalism so threatening to what you believe?

BTW - You misunderstand what that verse you quote means. "the wicked" is an actively bad person (not an unbeliever as you assume) and the "day of evil" is the result of their bad behavior not a future date. The verse simply states that God made everything for ITS purpose, the bad behavior will be rewarded in kind. Like Karma.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Why do you have such animosity for it being God that succeeds in getting what he desires? Why is Universalism so threatening to what you believe?

BTW - You misunderstand what that verse you quote means. "the wicked" is an actively bad person (not an unbeliever as you assume) and the "day of evil" is the result of their bad behavior not a future date. The verse simply states that God made everything for ITS purpose, the bad behavior will be rewarded in kind. Like Karma.
Go back to page 1 to what I stated. Nothing we say here is threatening God's plan. Nothing you have claimed here is threatening to me. The animosity may be on your end - but it isn't with me. I am just giving you God as He presents Himself, without an agenda.

Don't like the Proverbs verbs... how about this one?

Romans 9:22-23 - What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? 23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.

The reason for unbelievers is right there for you - if you can stomach it.

The two underlined parts are the believers, and unbelievers.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:25 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,384,654 times
Quote:

Would you be ok if that included your mum, dad and family who probably have never seriously wronged anyone in life?.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Would you be ok if that included your mum, dad and family who probably have never seriously wronged anyone in life?.
My opinion of such things doesn't matter.

Do you not understand that what God does is not a matter of MY or YOUR opinion?

Old 05-29-2015, 04:40 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,384,654 times
Quote:
My opinion of such things doesn't matter.

Do you not understand that what God does is not a matter of MY or YOUR opinion?
I never asked if you had an opinion, i asked would you be alright with it ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity