Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,612,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Anecdotal, but my experience is that the louder a "heterosexual" Christian goes on about homosexuality and sin, the more likely they are to be suppressing same sex attraction in themselves. It's like the harder they preach against it the more God will be impressed to pony up and squelch the desire within them.

Wonder if that is happening on this thread?
That does seem to be a trend, Saintmarks. Can't speak as to the validity of that thought on this thread, but it certainly is a question that makes me wonder.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,881,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
That does seem to be a trend, Saintmarks. Can't speak as to the validity of that thought on this thread, but it certainly is a question that makes me wonder.
Worth bringing up, but it isn't likely to do any good because one in that situation certainly wouldn't admit it. But it does make me wonder, and back again to the original question posed by the OT.... Why is this considered a "sin" worthy of more concern than any other sin? Enough to keep arguing after 700 plus posts that are still going round and round with no move on either side of the debate? Seems there must be a deeper issue than theological purity....

Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Anecdotal, but my experience is that the louder a "heterosexual" Christian goes on about homosexuality and sin, the more likely they are to be suppressing same sex attraction in themselves. It's like the harder they preach against it the more God will be impressed to pony up and squelch the desire within them.

Wonder if that is happening on this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Quote:
Worth bringing up, but it isn't likely to do any good because one in that situation certainly wouldn't admit it. But it does make my wonder, and back again to the original question posed by the OT.... Why is this considered a "sin" worthy of more concern than any other sin?
Of course this has been brought up earlier in this 7000+ post thread.

Please read (or re-read) Post #6739. Thank you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/55135481-post6739.html

Old 06-05-2019, 08:21 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,881,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course this has been brought up earlier in this 7000+ post thread.

Please read (or re-read) Post #6739. Thank you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/55135481-post6739.html
Oh my, I missed a digit. Not 700, 7000! Wow.

OK, read your reply at #6739 and stand humbly corrected. Didn't mention a name or direct reply to any one individual is the only thing I will use to defend myself lol. But I would ask anyone that points out a splinter in another's eye to examine if there be any logs in their own. That's certainly a biblical injunction, no?

I will use this to express something that has brought me dissatisfaction within the evangelical community I am part of. So much of preaching is boiled down to behavior modification. How we behave and how we act is the focus of much preaching I hear these days. It's not that our personal behavior isn't of importance, but the amount of time devoted to it... Is that really what God had in mind when he created the heavens and the earth and then created man in his own image? To police a bunch of people on what they act like? Is that all there is?

I stand here longing for so much more in my spiritual life.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 06-05-2019 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 08:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,567,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If you want to set off most conservative Christians get on the topic of homosexuality or gay rights. The anger most of them have regarding this issue is unfathomable. ...
All humans have homosexual thoughts, and heterosexuals that are not threatened by the thoughts don't care what others do intimately; they just dismiss them and move on. Those that do feel threatened get on the hate wagon. I suspect many of those you've referred to are actually closet homosexuals, or just don't understand that the thoughts are normal and do not mean they are homosexual.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,945,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
All humans have homosexual thoughts, and heterosexuals that are not threatened by the thoughts don't care what others do intimately; they just dismiss them and move on. Those that do feel threatened get on the hate wagon. I suspect many of those you've referred to are actually closet homosexuals, or just don't understand that the thoughts are normal and do not mean they are homosexual.

I doubt that "many" of them are closet homosexuals, but it is sure they are afraid of the thought. Back in the 60's I had a friend who was seeing a therapist and confessed that he was afraid he might be homosexual. The (male) therapist moved into my friend's "space" in a non-threatening way and told him to do whatever he felt like doing. My friend kissed the therapist, and when asked why he did so responded, "you were close." It was not a matter of attraction, but of circumstances and my friend realized that feelings might be present, but they did not establish orientation.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:59 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,943,050 times
I have never had a homosexual desire in my life .I am 68 years old and a firm heterosexual .

The problem with homosexuality is identification .
If say a homosexual had no ears or a peculiar color, or some other obvious trait, they would be easily identified , but the problem is there is no honesty . the stealth of the behavior often leads to misleading others deliberately.
Secondly I knew people that were homosexual because it is a thing ,not that they really were.
People will join a group that is offensive just for the stigma , like the 30s jitter bug 40s beat-nick and 50s and 60s hippy .

Old 06-05-2019, 10:15 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,338,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have never had a homosexual desire in my life .I am 68 years old and a firm heterosexual .

If say a homosexual had no ears or a peculiar color, or some other obvious trait, they would be easily identified , but the problem is there is no honesty . the stealth of the behavior often leads to misleading others deliberately.
Secondly I knew people that were homosexual because it is a thing ,not that they really were.
People will join a group that is offensive just for the stigma , like the 30s jitter bug 40s beat-nick and 50s and 60s hippy .
Do you think people in certain Islamic countries become homosexual just because it's against the establishment plus the good chance of being put to death? Do the gays in Uganda just want to **** off the Christians and to get a 20 year jail sentence for the fun of it?

What do you mean by their stealth and dishonesty? Why should they be easily identifiable?

Old 06-05-2019, 10:15 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post

Thank you for reminding us all that some fundies are as stupid as they are bigoted.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Oh my, I missed a digit. Not 700, 7000! Wow.

OK, read your reply at #6739 and stand humbly corrected. Didn't mention a name or direct reply to any one individual is the only thing I will use to defend myself lol. But I would ask anyone that points out a splinter in another's eye to examine if there be any logs in their own. That's certainly a biblical injunction, no?

I will use this to express something that has brought me dissatisfaction within the evangelical community I am part of. So much of preaching is boiled down to behavior modification. How we behave and how we act is the focus of much preaching I hear these days. It's not that our personal behavior isn't of importance, but the amount of time devoted to it... Is that really what God had in mind when he created the heavens and the earth and then created man in his own image? To police a bunch of people on what they act like? Is that all there is?

I stand here longing for so much more in my spiritual life.
You don't have to defend yourself against anything. I just wanted to ward off any potential problems.

As for the other, that's why I am comfortable in a church community where actual personal beliefs may vary and the emphasis is on what we do for one another. It's more honest for one thing. The ex-priest who no longer believes in the Trinity is free to say so and continue to run the centering prayer group in his desire to help others reach a deeper spirituality. The deacon's Jewish-atheist husband knows he is welcome to all our events and that people will be genuinely happy to see him and were concerned when he had serious health issues last year.

"Love one another" is hard enough to do in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.