Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 11:30 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The bible says nothing about having to be with ONE spouse, does it? Do I need to show that infographic again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Other than God making one man, then giving him one wife. And Jesus seemed to support the notion of one man, one wife.

The Bible doesn't record God telling any man that it's a GOOD thing to take multiple wives, nor did he command any man to do so. But that's what men do--we take God's plans and we muck them up.
Looks like I have to post that infographic one more time. You may want to have your bible handy to confirm the passages.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:56 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why some others on this thread would not agree with the above excellent post from Saintmarks?

And < sigh > ...I just know that they won't agree. Is it because of sheer obstinacy that they SO dig in their heels on this subject? Or, is something else preventing the light of the truth from getting through? 'They' often make references to Satan who I personally don't believe in as a literal being. However, sometimes I do have to pause and wonder if this 'Satan' character, if real or, at least, real to them, is more operating in their lives than in the lives of those they persistently condemn.
As a former fundamentalist, I can see you are beginning to get the picture.

And "christians," even NT ones, began changing the concept of Satan from "Ha-Satan" who was God's helper and accused people of not living up to their own righteous standards, into a "personal" Devil whom fundamentalists love to blame for their own "shortcomings" (read "SIN"). They didn't sin, the Devil made them do it. They deserve God's compassion because they were fools "tricked" by the Devil.

Quote:
In contrast to Christian literature, where Satan is understood to be an evil force, the enemy of G-d, in Jewish literature, he is seen as a blessing to the Jewish people. Why? Let’s consider for a moment what Satan means. As mentioned before, the word not only means an adversary, but a stumbling block or an obstacle. What exactly is an obstacle? It is something which is put in our path requiring us to overcome it. Obstacles in this life give us opportunities to stretch our muscles and to grow.

Let’s take a look at what Judaism has to say about Satan. In the Genesis account of creation, we are told that G-d saw that each day was good, but on the last day it says that G-d saw that everything was VERY good. The Talmud teaches that this refers to the Evil inclination, which it equates with the Satan. Why is this good? It is the Evil inclination that provides our passions and desires, it is the evil inclination which is responsible for not only all the evil that transpires in this world, but also for all the good. For if we did not have passions, appetites and desires, we would also have no motivation and we would accomplish very little, either good or bad in this life.
------------
Judaism teaches that what is to be overcome is not Satan, but the “satan” in our path, the obstacle which has been put there for our growth.

So, to reiterate, in Judaism Satan is an agent of G-d, who provides opportunities for us to grow, to respond to our passions and desires by producing things of value in this world and to become stronger spiritual people.
Ask the Rabbi, JewishAnswers.org » The Jewish View of Satan

The Jewish Satan is much more understandable than a separate evil entity who is almost as powerful as God, Himself. It goes back to Genesis where God created everything INCLUDING evil in order to give us an opportunity to prove ourselves to Him by making a choice between right and wrong. And it requires us to THINK about what should be right and wrong, not look it up in a book. As I read and studied this idea and discussed it with some of my in-laws who are Jewish, it began to make much more sense than the Devil. Moreover, it required me to accept responsibility for making poor choices, not blame it on some mysterious, almost as powerful as God, entity.

A real Jesus follower understands roadblocks will be put in front of him/her by God, Himself in order to test our own faithfulness to Him. Whether we handle those situations with compassion or grab a "divine" book to look up an answer in a "how-to" book regardless of whether the answer we find is compassionate is an EXPRESS test of Jesus Himself.

Fundamentalists fail it every time they are faced with it. And if they can't find an answer in their "divine" book, they just make up an answer and loosely throw in a verse or two---as they do with homosexuality.

Jesus looked with disgust upon Pharisees who were constantly comparing His words and actions to their divine book. In every single case where the choice was compassion or "judgment by the book," compassion won out with Jesus.

Speak about compassion with a fundamentalist and he will look upon you as one speaking in an unknown tongue---because compassion for ALL is completely unknown to fundamentalists.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Should we call those with birth defects or bodies that otherwise don't fall into a norm an abomination or sinners or somehow less than in God's eyes?
It has been repeated to no end that the defect in itself it not an abomination. The problem is the fact that people use issues like 'defects' (your words, not mine) as an excuse to justify sinful actions.

Only those who push the gay agenda call people abominations (like Warden does), and they work hard to make it look like Christians are the ones doing it, which is a deliberate misrepresentation of other peoples views.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:54 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It has been repeated to no end that the defect in itself it not an abomination. The problem is the fact that people use issues like 'defects' (your words, not mine) as an excuse to justify sinful actions.

Only those who push the gay agenda call people abominations (like Warden does), and they work hard to make it look like Christians are the ones doing it, which is a deliberate misrepresentation of other peoples views.
You know what is an abomination? People like you and Jeff thinking that gay people should pretend to be straight because it makes you uncomfortable. Thinking that they should just act straight to appease your version of God, who made them gay. Thinking that they should have to live their life as something they are not.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
You know what is an abomination? People like you and Jeff thinking that gay people should pretend to be straight because it makes you uncomfortable. Thinking that they should just act straight to appease your version of God, who made them gay. Thinking that they should have to live their life as something they are not.
Nice attempt at "let me explain your views to you".

You need more practice, because you are not very good at it.

As Jewade to coach you. He can be your master, and you can be his grasshopper. He has years of experiences of misrepresenting other peoples views.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:10 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:

As Jewade to coach you. He can be your master, and you can be his grasshopper. He has years of experiences of misrepresenting other peoples views.

Sssssayssss Misssster Twisssster.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I have, quite literally, quoted you on this thread, saying that gay people should act straight. So <bleep>, you hypocrite.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-24-2019 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Can't go around the word filter...

Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
I have, quite literally, quoted you on this thread, saying that gay people should act straight. So <bleep>, you hypocrite.
Sociopaths are shameless liars.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-24-2019 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sociopaths are shameless liars.
It's like he has memory loss or something. He can't even keep up with what he's said about the topic. More likely, he is just playing more word games and trying to deflect from the fact he has actually said that.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Moderator cut: reference removed

Work hard grasshopper, and one day you will as good as your master. Maybe even black belt.

No, it has nothing to do with making me uncomfortable, but keep making stuff up.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-24-2019 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity