Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 10:23 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Except where it does demonstrable harm.
I am religious. But this attitude I don’t understand. How do homosexuals harm you, directly? Do they physically hurt you? Do they rob your house? Do they harass you on the street? Do they cause you any personal harm whatsoever? They do not.

It is conservative fearmongering.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
It is the damage it does in children that haven't figured life out yet.
Young people have difficulty figuring out they are mortal and die of stupidity assuming they are all repairable.
Life is not fair as it is , throwing more confusion in the mix does not help a young person to grow healthy.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
It is the damage it does in children that haven't figured life out yet.
Young people have difficulty figuring out they are mortal and die of stupidity assuming they are all repairable.
Life is not fair as it is , throwing more confusion in the mix does not help a young person to grow healthy.
What? What damage, exactly, does it do to children? They can’t figure out who they are, and they might not know if they are straight or not?

I can assure you I always knew I was straight even from a young age. There were other things to figure out, of course, but sexuality was not one of them.

Young kids do stupid things all the tome. What does homosexuality of others have to do with that?

Old 07-25-2018, 11:16 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
I am religious. But this attitude I don’t understand. How do homosexuals harm you, directly? Do they physically hurt you? Do they rob your house? Do they harass you on the street? Do they cause you any personal harm whatsoever? They do not.

Well, let's see. Whenever the anti-gay 'Christian' attempts to prove his/her point by tossing out scriptures such as 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, they really DO give the impression that a homosexual is guilty of many things and they persistently offer up a list as proof ...such as:

. . .(homosexuals) are unrighteous, they are fornicators, they are idolaters, they are adulterers, they are effeminate, they are abusers of themselves with mankind, they are thieves, they are covetous, they are drunkards, they are revilers, they are extortioners, they are disobedient to parents, etc. etc. and therefore shall not inherit the kingdom of God!

Please understand ...when this list is given it gives the impression that the gay person is guilty of all these things. In fact, it is ONLY given to make the gay person squirm since they, and they alone, are the only ones that are being singled out by these pathetic examples of 'Christians'!

Old 07-25-2018, 11:25 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Yes ..."Thou protesteth too much" with regard to an anti-homosexuality stance can be attributed to the suppressing of one's own homosexual feelings. One can be quite certain, though, that one's 'anger' toward homosexuality has nothing to do with the Bible.
I wish my homosexual-bashing relative would just come out and say "Hey everyone, I'm gay." He'd be much happier. I had a friend years ago who was virulently anti-gay; years later, he came out of the closet.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well, let's see. Whenever the anti-gay 'Christian' attempts to prove his/her point by tossing out scriptures such as 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, they really DO give the impression that a homosexual is guilty of many things and they persistently offer up a list as proof ...such as:

. . .(homosexuals) are unrighteous, they are fornicators, they are idolaters, they are adulterers, they are effeminate, they are abusers of themselves with mankind, they are thieves, they are covetous, they are drunkards, they are revilers, they are extortioners, they are disobedient to parents, etc. etc. and therefore shall not inherit the kingdom of God!

Please understand ...when this list is given it gives the impression that the gay person is guilty of all these things. In fact, it is ONLY given to make the gay person squirm since they, and they alone, are the only ones that are being singled out by these pathetic examples of 'Christians'!
I understand that conservative evangelicals use this as a “defense,” but it is ridiculous.

Again. Fearmongering.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:42 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I wish my homosexual-bashing relative would just come out and say "Hey everyone, I'm gay." He'd be much happier. I had a friend years ago who was virulently anti-gay; years later, he came out of the closet.
People always think I am gay, even my kids have asked me if I am gay because of my relationship with some men, but they are always wrong, only I don't tell them that. Every time somebody asks me if I am gay, I always reply the same way,'' Not recently.''

Old 07-25-2018, 11:54 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's all fine, but completely beside the point. If you believe homosexuality is wrong, don't do it. People who support gay rights, including SSM, are not advocating that you be forced to engage in it yourself.

It's not your job to prohibit other people from sinning.
Quote:
Except where it does demonstrable harm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
We're talking about sexual relationships between consenting adults here, not rape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Oppression of sin has and will always be a Christian principal; plain and simple. I will not recognize gay marriage or support it. I do not see people involved in adultery or those Attracted to child coming in and saying Christian must support their si n.In my view they account to god like all sinners including myself.
Quote:
If committed homosexual relationships did harm to anyone as child abuse and adultry do you would have a point, but it does not and is therefore not "sin" according to Paul and good sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post

Thank you, that has been my point all along.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:02 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Usually Christians that are the most anti-gay themselves are insecure in their sexual identity. They are not always gay, though. It could just be they aren't willing to admit that sexuality is more complicated than what their rigid religious vision of the world permits them to acknowledge.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:12 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Because some conservative and liberal put a rating system on sins. People must understand the book of Romans mentioned sin 49 times. Two of those times were in the context of action or a verb. The other 47 times sin was mentioned in the context of a noun referring to the sin nature or old man. Some Christians judge people by the act and not nature of sin. Some even have a rating system not knowing that God rates all sin the same. Regardless of how people try to act perfect no one can keep the law perfectly except Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity