Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 04:03 PM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Crazy, ain't it?
Yes, it is. I grew up in that world, so I'm all too familiar with the paranoia it causes.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:11 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,382,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
obviously everything by this example below

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freak80

If hell is a real danger, isn't it more
rational to focus on your own sins?

"Secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers."
...Did the whole speck/plank analogy of Jesus not make it into your Sunday School Class? ...no but seriously, considering the modern Christian view, if someone hasn't accepted Christ whats the point of endlessly yelling at them about their sins when they don't necessarily share the same concept of sin? I'm not even sure those "Way of the Master" guys would disagree with Freak80 on this one...Unless they've had too many 'Growning Pains'..

Old 09-12-2015, 06:39 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,378,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If you want to set off most conservative Christians get on the topic of homosexuality or gay rights. The anger most of them have regarding this issue is unfathomable. Get on the topic and most conservative Christians will take on an anger and a zeal that you don't see when talking about any other issue except maybe abortion. Whenever LGBT-advocates have a political or cultural victory, Facebook fills up with right-wingers venting their anger and hatred towards these individuals. The same people come to the defense of people like Josh Duggar. Why is this? It seems to be getting a lot worse as many of the beliefs once confined to extremist groups like Westboro are now gaining traction among mainstream evangelicals.

Why is it that a man can cheat on his wife and molest his sister, and have Mike Huckabee call for forgiveness but as soon as somebody comes out as gay, you have Huckabee and his ilk calling on God to wipe America off the face of the planet for simply allowing them to exist?

You ask most people this question and they will say its because the Bible says homosexuality is an abomination. Want to know what also is an abomination? A lying tongue, (see Proverbs 12:22), yet religious right politicians have no qualms with spinning the truth when it suits their agenda. Most people who cry and scream about homosexuality probably aren't even aware of what else the Bible calls an abomination.
Mainly because these so called Christians have not evolved with the world view. They adhere to the very very OLD view of the ..who knows how far back Centuries ago?? They have forgotten Christ's words and warning for being intolerant..Basically....Intolerant..unforgiving and continue to preach the same..Dooomsday and must convert...SMH..

Did it ever dawn on these folks there are plenty who have moral values..live a good righteous lives..and do NOT feel the need to preach nor convert others...

I learned long ago..IF you truly walk the walk and live a good life ( not perfect) but at least tried is enough..if you recognize your failings....Instead of talking the talk ( not actually living it) yet constant examples of high profile folks (Religious leaders/spokesmen) being caught COLD being disingenuous ..and NOT even living of which they demand what is necessary to be "Righteous" and allowed into the arms of God...Yikes!!

I refuse to make any Judgements on another..(only IF directly affects me directly) for how they live their lives..It's None of my business...I absolutely refuse for anyone to demand I behave or believe or do something against my "Moral Code".. Having said all that..If the LAW says I have to accept/tolerate something..Yep..I will abide by that...It's called adaption ( Assimilate to Law of the Land)....yet No one can nor should try to force an alternate on my personal life...THAT works BOTH ways!! But not according to some State Legislatures!

So IF Christians truly believe this is an "Abomination"..Fine and Dandy....Just keep it to yourself..that's a liberty/right..no government will or should condemn you for that..

BUT puleeze....Presidential Candidate Huckabee claims so many bigoted, ill-informed POV's and actually believes an "Evolved America" will swallow his Century Old School thinking ( could be he's pre- Alzheimers ..living in past) I just can't believe this guy has both oars in the waters of today???

Old 09-13-2015, 12:13 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,723,778 times
If there were an ounce of Christianity in Mike Huckabee he would have taken the gay couple into the Kim Davis' office and demanded that they be given a marriage license. Instead, he chose to be a contentious jerk in opposition to the story Jesus related to His disciples about going the "extra" mile.

The Romans had this terribly offensive law requiring anyone traveling in the same direction as a Roman citizen to carry the baggage, at the discretion of the citizen, for a certain distance. It was onerous and completely against the religion of the Jews who wanted nothing to do with Gentiles.

Jesus told His disciples not only to obey the law, but to go twice as far--and without complaining.

Fundamentalists prove over and over that they never have understood the message of Jesus. The Bible for them is simply a repackaged version of the Holiness Code which they wish to impose upon everyone. And Jesus is just the dog being wagged by Mosaic Law.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:36 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,717,233 times
That's what I want to know! This makes me so upset honestly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Christians are now expected to "celebrate" what the Bible teaches is sin. Yes, there are many other sins and we all sin. But this we are to "celebrate." And if you dare speak disagreement you are a bigot. There is no discussion. Celebrate or shut-up. So, yes, it can be an emotional issue.
It's not about celebrating. No one is forcing anyone to celebrate. It's about realizing that it's not your life and you should let people live how they want. Not everyone is religious or believe the same thing. I am DONE with religious folk trying to act like they're the ones being attacked or done wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nice View Post
Perhaps, it is because murderers are not fighting for the right to kill people, perhaps because thieves are not fighting for the right to steal things.
The difference is that being homosexual doesn't hurt anybody. Try again.

Last edited by Mezter; 09-13-2015 at 02:16 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 02:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
That's what I want to know! This makes me so upset honestly.

It's not about celebrating. No one is forcing anyone to celebrate. It's about realizing that it's not your life and you should let people live how they want. Not everyone is religious or believe the same thing. I am DONE with religious folk trying to act like they're the one's being attacked or done wrong.
But being a martyr is so much FUN. You are trying to remove one of the favorite recreations.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:17 AM

6,799 posts, read 2,920,125 times
Quote:
Perhaps, it is because murderers are not fighting for the right to kill people, perhaps because thieves are not fighting for the right to steal things.
No offense, this is your first post, but do you realize how ridiculous that statement is?

Old 09-13-2015, 09:39 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I was raised in the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod. My father is actually a minister in that denomination.

What do I not understand correctly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
obviously everything by this example below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If hell is a real danger, isn't it more rational to focus on your own sins?

"Secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
...Did the whole speck/plank analogy of Jesus not make it into your Sunday School Class? ...no but seriously, considering the modern Christian view, if someone hasn't accepted Christ whats the point of endlessly yelling at them about their sins when they don't necessarily share the same concept of sin? I'm not even sure those "Way of the Master" guys would disagree with Freak80 on this one...Unless they've had too many 'Growning Pains'..
Once again you've decidedly taken the opposition to the truth side and attempt to find fault where there isn't any.

If any thing being that Freak80 was "raised in the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod. My father is actually a minister in that denomination" and yet constantly persists in what he says here makes him the one who is "yelling" per your definition .... however, you will continue to be dismayed for as long you take the side of those who oppose the truth over against those of us who do not compromise the truth of God's Word the Bible.

Here is a suggestion for the misdirected "not yelling" advice ... save it for zthatzmanz28

Old 09-13-2015, 07:18 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,788,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
But being a martyr is so much FUN. You are trying to remove one of the favorite recreations.
Kim Davis would have to be killed while she's defending her beliefs in order to qualify as a martyr. She's just a greedy, attention seeker.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:29 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
No offense, this is your first post, but do you realize how ridiculous that statement is?
He couldn't possibly. He is using "sinners" whose sins cause real harm to others, but Gays harm no one. It is as Dew points out . . . a mindless, idiotic and worn out ploy to demonize Gays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Comparing gays to murderers and thieves isn't very nice. The attempt to lump gays in with evil-doers is mean-spirited and just flat-out nasty*.
I suggest a new user name.
*Never mind idiotic and a worn-out ploy used by fundies to demonize the LGBTQ community.
Amen, Dew!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So fighting for the right to be treated the same as other people is in any way comparable? That is just miserable drivel.
That understates it by a bunch, nate! This is not a very nice person despite the screen name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.