Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 08:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,478,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You have a gross misunderstanding of the impact this episode had on Jesus. He bore the weight of the sin of EVERY person who ever lived, to the point that the Father forsook Him. He will bear those scars forever. Imagine taking the punishment of every criminal in history (ETA) and being a king.
Religious Mysticism?

There was no forsaking him and the Penal Substitution theory is fallacious as well.
And, You cannot IMPUTE your sins to him, nor his righteousness to that of yourself.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 PM

6,840 posts, read 2,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej
You have a gross misunderstanding of the impact this episode had on Jesus. He bore the weight of the sin of EVERY person who ever lived, to the point that the Father forsook Him. He will bear those scars forever. Imagine taking the punishment of every criminal in history (ETA) and being a king.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Religious Mysticism?

There was no forsaking him and the Penal Substitution theory is fallacious as well.
And, You cannot IMPUTE your sins to him, nor his righteousness to that of yourself.
But that ^^^ is the accepted belief of mainstream Christianity ...right? I assume this to be the case whenever I address topical issues with professed Christians.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,478,062 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Religious Mysticism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
But that ^^^ is the accepted belief of mainstream Christianity ...right? I assume this to be the case whenever I address topical issues with professed Christians.
They have syncretistically, mixed and blended in various beliefs over time. What amazes me is they condemn people for being new age, yet they are the one's who hold to a secret or concealed knowledge; one that is highly mystical in nature. And they hide behind it, while condemning other people.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:05 PM

10,798 posts, read 3,624,038 times
Quote:
Peter wrote that passage in his first epistle.
Most theologians agree that St. Peter was not the author of the epistles ascribed to him. In fact, most will say 1 and 2 were written by different people.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:20 PM

6,840 posts, read 2,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells
Because its gross.

Honestly now, grown men putting their penises into each others rectums.

People licking each others crotch, or you name it.

My DOGS do that, and it's STILL nasty.

So, why?

Because its gross.
Well, while I'm not particularly comfortable discussing the sexual act in such graphic terms ...it has already been pointed out to you that you're pretty much describing a heterosexual practice in your above post. This is not to mention that, if sex was not such a pleasure-driven practice, it would ALL appear to be quite gross. I kinda like Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper's description of (penal/vaginal) sex where he describes if as 'messy and unsanitary'.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:19 AM

10,103 posts, read 5,775,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You're correct. One can not prove a negative. You have no proof that Russell's teapot doesn't exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

If you prove that is doesn't exist, I'll use the same methodology on your god. BTW, you can't prove that Zeus, Thor, Freya, Mazda or Mithra don't exist either. Nor Vishnu, Isis, Horus or Loki.
And I can't prove that we are not really living in the Matrix and nothing on this earth is real. Or who knows, maybe Christianity is a big deception created by a superior alien race. You can't even prove that the chair you sit in next will definitely not break. Or that we really landed on the moon. The point is that there is very little that can be proven to such a degree that can never be disputed. That's where evidence comes into place. There is no evidence for all the gods that you mentioned. However, there are numerous evidences that not only a supernatural world exists, but that Christianity is the one true religion.

Quote:

No, I want her to do what she is licensed to do and studied for. Not to discriminate based on her personal beliefs.
Yet you can't deny that same sex marriage does have external impact. It has affected her career.

Quote:

Answered many times. Why can't you remember it?

Let's try one more time, just for old times sake, OK? (and Jeff wonders why people make fun of him!)

Sexual practices between consenting adults is the key. Children can't give consent, and animals can't give consent. You've been told that many, many times. What part of that do you know understand?

Or maybe I'm smart enough to realize that the consent argument is just side stepping around my point. We are talking about sexual orientation here. Your claim is that sexual orientation alone is not destructive in the realm of homosexuality. So it is hypocritical to look at someone who is sexually orientated to a practice that you don't approve of and say that's wrong. If they NEVER act out on their impulses then
the consent argument has no relevance.

Quote:

So they have more partners. Whoop-di-do. If the partners are consenting, what business is it of yours, or mine.. However, I agree, safe sex needs to be practiced.
Spreading STDS is a concern for everyone. At the very least, it burdens our already weak healthcare system. If you knew how to stop a disease, why on earth would you encourage people to engage in practices that welcomes the disease?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 AM

88,954 posts, read 85,475,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well, first you have ZERO I repeat ZERO evidence that there is no God. Second, I can see people as equal because I don't define people by their behavior or sexual orientation. It would be like saying hey see that fish eater there. Or meet Bob, my bank robbing friend.

In other words, you want her to compromise her moral beliefs.

What is destructive about someone who is sexually orientation towards children? Homosexuality is a destructive lifestyle. It brings on more depression and suicide, gays tend to have multiple sex partners often with unprotected which extremely increases STD risks
Ummm, and part of that is not because they have not been accepted as they are or permitted traditionally to marry and live their lives in family units?

People I know who are gay and married don't appear to be running around having multiple sex partners. They WANTED to be a committed relationship. They found someone to love. They are busy fixing up their homes and in some cases taking care of the kids.

Brings on suicide and depression? Are you kidding me? Pretending you are not gay when you are brings on suicide and depression. Being rejected by family because you are gay brings on suicide and depression.

Ever hear of a young gay man named Tyler Clementi? He became momentarily famous by his death and the events in the days preceding it because one of his classmates thought it was funny to put a camera in his dorm room when he was having a man over for a date and then texting out what he saw on the camera, which wasn't much. Tyler jumped into the Hudson River to his death from the George Washington Bridge a few days later. Despite the sensationalism in the news, it wasn't the camera incident that sent him off the bridge. It was that he had come out to his mother just before leaving for college, and she had voiced her disappointment to him.

Jane Clementi started a foundation to speak up for acceptance in the church for LGBTQ youth and against cyberbullying. I doubt those who so desperately want to clutch onto the "sin" label will bother to take the minute and 29 seconds to listen to a Christian mother who knows far more about this than any of us do, but I'm hoping that somebody with compassion and a more godly and open mind watches it, listens, and THINKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrdf02zSH2Y

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-10-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,624,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And I can't prove that we are not really living in the Matrix and nothing on this earth is real.
You don't see what that does, do you? It makes an assertion (living in the Matrix) and then trying to prove the negative. It can't be done, so really you are agreeing with me.

Quote:
Or who knows, maybe Christianity is a big deception created by a superior alien race

There is no evidence that would be true. All the evidence indicates it is a big deception done by real, live, humans. And one carried on over the millenia.

Quote:
You can't even prove that the chair you sit in next will definitely not break

Now we are talking evidentiary belief. I have sat on this chair thousands of times over decades. I have stood on this chair dozens of times. It has always supported my 6'4" frame. I have no reason to even suspect that it will not the next time I sit down. Let me test that.

Yup, I was right. Once again, just like the thousands of times before, no noticeable strain. Still supports me.

Now, how do we use that replicable test on a god. I can guarantee you that if you, my neighbor, my son, my girlfriend or anyone else sits on this chair, they too will be held up by it. Your belief in your god is yours, but there is nothing that can be used that you came to that belief that can be transferred every single time to another, is there? What evidence can you provide that is true for everyone else, no matter what their prior beliefs were?

It doesn't matter if the person using my chair is 45 lbs or 350 lbs, it has always held them. Every single time. It doesn't matter what intelligence they have, what race they are, what nationality, what language they speak, or what religion they are. The chair has held them using the same empirical method I did, every single time.

How would that work with you trying to convince me that your believes are the right ones, or my neighbor, or my son, or my girlfriend or anyone else?

Quote:
Or that we really landed on the moon. The point is that there is very little that can be proven to such a degree that can never be disputed. That's where evidence comes into place. There is no evidence for all the gods that you mentioned. However, there are numerous evidences that not only a supernatural world exists, but that Christianity is the one true religion.

As I asked above, what repicatable method can you provide that this evidence exists? The bible is not evidence, it is the assertion.

Science does not proof anything.

Nobody can prove that things will always fall down when you drop them.

Nobody can prove that energy is conserved.

Nobody can prove that dark matter exists.

Nobody can prove that quantum physics is real.

It does however, have multiple streams of evidence that all the above exist. Theory of Gravity? Both you and I can drop a pen, and every, single time, it will hit the floor. My result is your result and vice versa. Does it prove that the pen will always fall? Nope, but it sure is a very significant replicable piece of evidence that it will.

The difference between science and religion is that no matter what, religious assertions never change. Science, however, strives to make changes. Old theories are not abandoned, but they are improved on with new evidence. Electron Theory has not changed, but improved. As a result, we have faster and faster chips running our computers.

Now, would you prefer to live in a world were nothing changes, as in religion, or one where our lives are improved on and we have a better understanding of the universe, which science provides. You are not living as a hermit, so it appears you like and use the benefits science provides, including your computer, which has used numerous scientific theories to get it designed and built.

Quote:
Yet you can't deny that same sex marriage does have external impact. It has affected her career.
Going into her career was her choice. She knew going in, or should have, that she would be meeting people of various belief systems that do not concur with hers, meeting different races and meeting different emotional or mental states. Surely she knew that gay and lesbian people existed, and what made her think that she would never interact with them???

Quote:
Or maybe I'm smart enough to realize that the consent argument is just side stepping around my point. We are talking about sexual orientation here. Your claim is that sexual orientation alone is not destructive in the realm of homosexuality. So it is hypocritical to look at someone who is sexually orientated to a practice that you don't approve of and say that's wrong. If they NEVER act out on their impulses then
the consent argument has no relevance.
No, you avoiding the issue of consent by bringing up pedophilia is the point. Two, three or what ever number of adults performing mutually consensual sexual acts are none of your business, and none of mine. You and I may never want to partake in some of those, and may even be disgusted by some, but it's not our business, and we have no right to make it so.

We have all the right in the world if a minor is involved, and we have all the right in the world to get involved when coercion due to the status of one over the other (professor/student or employer/employee) is a factor. Other than than, let it be.

Quote:
Spreading STDS is a concern for everyone. At the very least, it burdens our already weak healthcare system. If you knew how to stop a disease, why on earth would you encourage people to engage in practices that welcomes the disease?
Yes it is, but the answer is not banning same sex couplings, the answer is safe sex education. We know abstinence pledges don't work. And frankly, the largest spreading of STDs is from male to female and vice versa, as from that should we ban all opposite sex unions?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:22 AM

20,478 posts, read 12,872,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Yes, it is and has been for 2,000 years.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:24 AM

20,478 posts, read 12,872,438 times
Quote:
Most theologians agree that St. Peter was not the author of the epistles ascribed to him. In fact, most will say 1 and 2 were written by different people.
Even if that’s true, how do you explain Jesus saying the same thing in the other passage I quoted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.