Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You are so insensitve. Be careful or you will be labeled intolerant- not a nice label in todays world!
I think you should stretch yourself. I think you should look at the very bar you tell yourself is "too high" every day and start jumping.

I tolerate you now. I have no intention of not tolerating you.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:35 AM

30,392 posts, read 19,191,759 times
I'm not gay but I've been around enough to believe that it is something that happens naturally. If there is a God (I believe there is) and he created us the way we are, then it can't be wrong to be what we were created, can it?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I think you should stretch yourself. I think you should look at the very bar you tell yourself is "too high" every day and start jumping.

I tolerate you now. I have no intention of not tolerating you.
Thank you for your tolerance, but I do not claim to have the intellect that allows me to doubt God.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:57 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
Thank you for your tolerance, but I do not claim to have the intellect that allows me to doubt God.

You said the "bar was too, high." I simply challenge your assertion. God can be seen, and reached from many levels. Jump.

I treat you no differently that others.

(now i have the pointer sisters in my head.)

Old 09-30-2015, 11:41 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:

You mean to doubt the bible. God and the bible are not one and the same, of course. I understand that, for you, the bible infallibly speaks for God (even whatever english translation(s) that you probably are relying on), but just because you believe that, doesn't mean everyone else does...

Quote:
I don't have a need to explain it. I take God at HiS Word. He owes me no explanation. I do believe it iS wrong and unnatural. I once lived a lifestyle of selfish and sinful behavior. Sin is sin- the point being that if I am unrepentent and my sins are not covered by Christs shed blood- I will be judged for them. People don't seem to realize that God owes us no explanations. We will all stand before Him, and we'll be held accountable, not vice-versa.
So, based on your personal belief in an infallible bible, no, you don't need to explain it to yourself. You have chosen to accept it unquestionably as the thing which can convict you that some of your behaviors are sinful. And if you are homosexual and are convicted that it is sinful, then you'll have to come to terms with that for yourself. But when you choose to tell OTHERS that something about them is sinful based on your personal belief that the bible is infallible, then it becomes problematic.

Interestingly, your own bible doesn't tell you that it is your job, or even the bible's job, to convict people of sin. That is, reportedly, the job of the "Holy Spirit". Presumably, then, the Spirit wouldn't convict people of something in their life being a sin unless it is causing them to be out of harmony with the Spirit, the fruit of which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, etc.

ETA: So my question for you, and those who believe as you do, is rather than tell everyone that homosexuality is a sin when you are unable to show how it is sinful, why not trust the Spirit to do the Spirit's job?

Last edited by Pleroo; 09-30-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 12:29 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Because God's word says so. Pretty simple really.
No, it's not simple unless one is a simpleton and cannot think beyond black and white. This is the trouble with fundamentalists. They think they know everything when they hardly know anything much at all.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Gay Christians: Why I Can’t Affirm Or Condemn Them | Matt Moore

That is a great article and as a same sex attracted person that is Christian it is very bold and to the point.

From the article:

Quote:
My hope is that the vast majority of the people professing Christ while embracing their homosexual feelings will repent and begin waging war against their sin. But I believe that this will only happen if the Church will engage with these people as God has told us to in his Word. We shouldn’t affirm them and we shouldn’t condemn them, but we absolutely can’t sit by silently as they let their sin swallow them up. We’ve got to love these people with deep gospel love by telling them the truth: Jesus demands their repentance. Jesus is worthy of their repentance. And fellowship with Jesus — which requires walking in repentance — is where joy is found.
We've got to love these people by telling them...

"These people"? See, why single out homosexuals and say that you've got to tell them anything. If a Christian offered to share their experience with people in general, of how being set free from their OWN sins has impacted their life in a positive way and there was evidence that it really was positive, maybe some people would actually be interested in hearing what they have to say.

If your message has any merit at all, you'll be able to demonstrate that from your own life and at no point will it be necessary for you to play God or the Holy Spirit.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:21 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,433,468 times
Pope Francis has made it clear that it is OK to be a Gay Christian. He once stated the following when asked by a reporter:

"When I meet a gay person, I have to distinguish between their being gay and being part of a lobby. If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn’t be marginalized. The tendency [to homosexuality] is not the problem…they’re our brothers." - Pope Francis

Its really that simple, who are we to judge? There is NOTHING WRONG with being Gay and being a Christian. As stated by Pope Francis, if the person accepts the Lord Jesus Christ and follows/understands the teachings of the church (marriage is only between a man and a woman, etc.) then there is nothing wrong with this. In fact, I know several Gay Christians who perfectly comprehend/follow the teachings of the church and are great Christians.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Calling one self a gay christian and not being repentant on homosexual acts and seeing nothing sinful on them is certainly not a Christian way of life.

As Christians we are to repent on all of our sins including homosexual ones.
It is NOT "certain" and the closed minded attitude of most "Christians" that it is panders to bigotry.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:13 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
I don't have a need to explain it. I take God at HiS Word. He owes me no explanation. I do believe it iS wrong and unnatural. I once lived a lifestyle of selfish and sinful behavior. Sin is sin- the point being that if I am unrepentent and my sins are not covered by Christs shed blood- I will be judged for them. People don't seem to realize that God owes us no explanations. We will all stand before Him, and we'll be held accountable, not vice-versa.
And the point is that what you call God's Word does NOT say that, it is the misinterpretation of centuries that needs to be corrected, but you can't look at that because YOU are prejudiced against gays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity