Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 07:18 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian
Not a great article. The author is gay, and has allowed other humans to convince him of a particular translation of certain Bible verses that his nature is not right. I'd say he's rather weak-minded, and will never be happy.

I don't care what the author or any other Christian fundamentalists think. I'm a man, happily married to a man, and we've been together nearly 2 decades. We're a happy family, with our children and our church that has no issues with our relationship. And if/when any fundies attempt to "save me from my sin", I'll shut them down and have nothing to do with it. I'm intelligent enough to know what's natural for me, and what I did and didn't choose. I chose love, happiness, and a family over fear, self-hatred and religious nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
For your information I used to be a practicing homosexual as well. I used to go to a gay affirming church as well. Yet that was before I was saved.
What is it that you were saved from? God's wrath? Hell fire? Eternal torment? Just for being gay? Come on, be honest now, does any of that make sense to you? Using your logic, does this 'hell fire' theme of Christianity not sound more like a fear tactic for control rather than anything that 'Jesus' actually taught?

Quote:
Well you can go to church all you want even if every Sunday but going to church does not make you a christian. It is a personal relationship with Jesus as their personal saviour that is a christian.
Rhetoric. Plus, YOU don't determine who is or who is not a Christian or who does or who does not, as you say, have a personal relationship with Jesus. What does 'having a personal relationship with Jesus' even mean, by the way? As I say, rhetoric.

Quote:
Anyway Jesus has given me more peace of mind and I feel more contentment than any other man has provided. I am happy anyway now and do not wish to return back to the life I had prior to christian and even be part of the gay lifestyle.
Well, as I've mentioned before, if you're truly happy with who you are at present then it's not for me to question you on this. I AM always skeptical, however, of those who claim to have 'been saved' from the evil 'wrath of God' hoax which is, as I say, a fear tactic used by 'the Church' for controlling ...well, for controlling people such as yourself. I don't know if you've mentioned belonging to 'a church' per se but you've obviously been influenced by more than just a mere reading of the Bible.

Quote:
There are no bible verses that affirm same sex relationships. Sure the law regarding putting homosexuals to death is not valid today . . .
Whoa camel ...! Where did you arrive at that conclusion? Where are we told in scripture that the death sentence for those many texts that call for such a penalty in the Old Testament were ever revoked? Even in the NEW Testament the penalty of death (ordered by the Torah God) was applicable for adultery. Remember the woman caught in adultery? Even TODAY in some Middle Eastern countries woman are stoned to death for adultery. God never changes, remember? At least that's what most Christians bleat so persistently. This is, of course, more rhetoric that they use when convenient to their particular argument. 'God' changes as people advance and become more civilized. WE change. The death sentence for the relatively trivial things that 'God' imposed a death penalty for have been revoked, NOT by God, but by 'we the people' who are, CLEARLY, more civilized than the OT God!

Quote:
. . .but Romans 1 is still very valid today.
You do realize that Paul is NOT ONLY NO MORE DIVINE THAN YOU ARE (I cannot stress that enough!) but is also addressing the practice/s of idolatry in Romans 1, do you not? Obviously not. And, if you DON'T know that - and you can bet your bottom dollar that your local church if you have one WOULD NOT tell you that - then you need to educate yourself on that passage of scripture.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Response to SAAN, post #84:

We in this area of North Queensland (Australia) are suffering the worst water shortage (no rain for many months) in many years. The dams are so low that we may be facing a serious problem before too long. And yet, an increase of population of this (admittedly beautiful) area is still being encouraged by the developers and the local council, i.e. more babies, more interstate 'immigrants'. We don't NEED an increase of population of this area because we can't adequately support those that are ALREADY here with one of the main essentials of life ...water! Similarly so with the world's population. WHY do the anti-gay marriage proponents always have to bring 'babies' into the equation? Babies grow into adults in the wink of an eye and have needs that some parts of the world cannot supply or will not be able to supply in years to come. How many more babies do we need before we say 'enough' ...?

Old 10-02-2015, 06:50 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Where does this arrogance come from that assumes that Gays want anyone's approval?? They just do want to be harassed, mistreated, discriminated against, or otherwise subject to whatever form of disapproval Christians want to foist upon them. Between approval and disapproval is a middle ground called "none of your business" which some Christians seem to be missing.
Maybe so, just as Christians don't like being criticized for agreeing with God. I do not agree with discrimination toward gays or Christians,.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:22 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Bears repeating. sorry too soon to rep and all.

Oooooh, and THEN you say, "What's a "sin" is people using religion to make gay people miserable, to deny them their rights, and convince them that if they're true to their nature, they'll "burn in hell for eternity". There's your big SIN!"
And I can't rep THAT!

See, what you gotta do is space these choice entries OUT more.....
Notice "sin" is in quotes. I don't believe in "sin".

Old 10-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I wanted to rep you a couple of dozen times for this post but, obviously, I couldn't. The days of the 'fundies' are numbered and I think they know this. And, like anyone who is drowning, they will clutch at whatever they can to save themselves. The Bible texts that they use to support THEIR OWN PERSONAL bent on this subject are being thrown back at them with interpretations that are more fitting to their original intent. Not that the words from ANY book should EVER be used as a source to demean or to dehumanize another human being. Yep, the 'fundie movement' is in its last dying throes and this becomes quite evident on forums such as this one.
Thanks!

I've never heard any real reason from those who use the Bible to support homophobia why they can ignore all the other verses in Leviticus surrounding the "man shall not lie with a man as a woman" verse, but that one, OOOH... it's a BIGGIE that MUST be taken literally until the end of time And then, with a straight face, they'll claim they take the entire Bible literally and don't cherry pick

Old 10-02-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. If you are looking for approval of the gay lifestyle, you won't find it here.
Funny how most divorces (well, all that I've known about) are from people living in the heterosexual lifestyle. Maybe I should stop approving of THAT lifestyle.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
For your information I used to be a practicing homosexual as well. I used to go to a gay affirming church as well. Yet that was before I was saved.

Well you can go to church all you want even if every Sunday but going to church does not make you a christian. It is a personal relationship with Jesus as their personal saviour that is a christian.

Anyway Jesus has given me more peace of mind and I feel more contentment than any other man has provided. I am happy anyway now and do not wish to return back to the life I had prior to christian and even be part of the gay lifestyle.

There are no bible verses that affirm same sex relationships. Sure the law regarding putting homosexuals to death is not valid today but Romans 1 is still very valid today.

What I hear is, "blah, blah, blah...."

A "practicing" homosexual lol! Didn't you say in your original post that you had a two month relationship? I don't think you're qualified on the subject!

I still stand by my post above. You've allowed others to control you. Getting "saved' is a man-made ritual. You fell for the dogma, hook, line and sinker. And as others have informed you, nobody put YOU in charge of determining who is and isn't Christian. Enjoy being controlled in your fundamentalist lifestyle. I'll stick with happiness, togetherness, and love

Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Where does this arrogance come from that assumes that Gays want anyone's approval?? They just do want to be harassed, mistreated, discriminated against, or otherwise subject to whatever form of disapproval Christians want to foist upon them. Between approval and disapproval is a middle ground called "none of your business" which some Christians seem to be missing.
Yes, this! I don't care what some snake tosser church in hillbilly hollow thinks about me. Just leave me and my family alone, and don't try to pass laws to make my life miserable! I'm not going to your fundie church to bother you. Don't bother me!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Funny how most divorces (well, all that I've known about) are from people living in the heterosexual lifestyle. Maybe I should stop approving of THAT lifestyle.
Yes, homosexual relationships are very stable! I also believe in Santa Clause.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:50 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Yes, homosexual relationships are very stable! I also believe in Santa Clause.
You know that wise saying: "It's better to be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Well, it applies to posting too.

You have long removed all doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity