Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 04:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
It's an analogy of sin. Think about it a bit and I think you'll figure out what I'm getting at.
It's a display of the prejudice the LGBTQ community faces from people who think they are sinful beings bound for hell.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:45 PM

350 posts, read 570,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I did not need to think about it to understand it is an analogy of your sin. It has nothing to do with LGBTQ.
Suit yourself. Just throwing it out there as food for thought.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Actually, you guys can be much more distasteful at times than any gay person...

I'm sorry - was that not loving? My apologies.
What comes to mind. Vapors, fainting couch, hankie, fake apology.

That was awesome.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Suit yourself. Just throwing it out there as food for thought.
You forgot the thought.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You forgot the thought.
And people accuse me of being hateful...

Old 11-30-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
And people accuse me of being hateful...
There was not an ounce of hate in my post. There was no cognizant thought in your analogy.

I have never accused you of hateful.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
There was not an ounce of hate in my post. There was no cognizant thought in your analogy.

I have never accused you of hateful.
Ok, I'll bite. Think of it this way:

You have a friend who is gay. You believe in your heart homosexuality is a sin and that perpetuated, non-repentant sin leads to death. This is all under the assumption that the reader also believes homosexuality is a sin. If you don't, then replace homosexuality with any other sin that irks you and see if that changes your mindset.

Do you:

1) Ignore the sin and let your friend continue on in it. Besides, it's their life, who are you to judge? By saying nothing, you neither approve nor disapprove.
2) Help your friend sin. Support their behavior and lead them further to destruction. That's what good friends do, after all! Support them at any cost, even to their own detriment.
3) Say something. You aren't God - you're not going to change their heart and brow beating them into submission never works. But, you can tell them about forgiveness through Christ and what he taught about living for God. The Holy Spirit will do the work for you after that. Don't judge, but love completely and help to the extent you can - let God do the rest.
4) Get angry and complain like a hypocrite. Go to a legislator and demand justice for something that is not yours or anyone but God's to judge.

Does that make a little more sense? And I apologize for the banter, that was distasteful on my part.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:21 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
That your grandfather's problem. The Bible does not mention black and whites and separation.
But the Bible (God?) DOES appear to paint other nations as being inferior to the the Jews, the 'chosen' people.

Quote:
The Bible does mention homosexuality as something God does not like.
*sigh* ...this cannot be said enough times. The Bible (God?) does not mention homosexuality either in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek. ONLY in post-1946 versions of the Bible do we see this term used in English. When are Christians going to learn that the Bible authors (not one of whom was "God") had no concept of human sexuality? Moreover, no human can speak for what "God" does and does not like.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite. Think of it this way:

You have a friend who is gay. You believe in your heart homosexuality is a sin and that perpetuated, non-repentant sin leads to death. This is all under the assumption that the reader also believes homosexuality is a sin. If you don't, then replace homosexuality with any other sin that irks you and see if that changes your mindset.

Do you:

1) Ignore the sin and let your friend continue on in it. Besides, it's their life, who are you to judge? By saying nothing, you neither approve nor disapprove.
2) Help your friend sin. Support their behavior and lead them further to destruction. That's what good friends do, after all! Support them at any cost, even to their own detriment.
3) Say something. You aren't God - you're not going to change their heart and brow beating them into submission never works. But, you can tell them about forgiveness through Christ and what he taught about living for God. The Holy Spirit will do the work for you after that. Don't judge, but love completely and help to the extent you can - let God do the rest.
4) Get angry and complain like a hypocrite. Go to a legislator and demand justice for something that is not yours or anyone but God's to judge.

Does that make a little more sense? And I apologize for the banter, that was distasteful on my part.
I was a child when I attended my first LGBTQ commitment ceremony. That was many decades ago, and I have participated in many commitment, and marriage ceremonies since. I am incapable of thinking gay is a sin.

Things that irk me are hardly sins either.

It irks me when I cannot open a bottle without banging it on the counter.
It irks me when my muscles give out when I want one more rep.
It irks me when a mechanic knows less about cars than I know, and I have to call him on his dishonesty.
It irks me when my cakes fall.

Among your examples, what would you choose?

Old 11-30-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I was a child when I attended my first LGBTQ commitment ceremony. That was many decades ago, and I have participated in many commitment, and marriage ceremonies since. I am incapable of thinking gay is a sin.

Things that irk me are hardly sins either.

It irks me when I cannot open a bottle without banging it on the counter.
It irks me when my muscles give out when I want one more rep.
It irks me when a mechanic knows less about cars than I know, and I have to call him on his dishonesty.
It irks me when my cakes fall.

Among your examples, what would you choose?
I believe those are indeed some things that irk you, but I said "sins" that irk you. All sins should irk you, but if homosexuality isn't one, then I was suggesting that you identify some that come to mind. I've read enough of your posts to infer that homosexuality doesn't bother you.

On the other hand, does normalizing evil make it right? If I was to say I attended cult meetings where there were blood sacrifices as a child, and that I've since attended many blood sacrifices since then to the point where murdering innocent people can't possibly bother me as a mature, enlightened adult - does that make it right? I'm of course joking, but familiarity with sin doesn't make you a saint. In fact, it makes you a sinner - just like the rest of us. Don't know how you can be much more deceived than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity