Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:18 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Yes.
I've not heard about the moon dust argument. I'll look it up, unless you can give a précis.
This argument got its start in the 1950s. It is just about the most infamous YE argument. Just google "moon dust argument." It ranks right up there with the NASA argument you threw out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Is that what you were thinking? Hey, have you heard the moon-dust argument? You could blow the dust off of that one too.
Another rather convincing argument for a young earth for a good many years was the mountains argument. If the Earth was truly billions of years old as science was saying, the mountains should long ago have eroded away into nothing, leaving the continents nothing but vast empty plains. And it was a rather compelling argument until the principle of plate tectonics and continental drift became understood. Mountains are nothing more than wrinkles in the Earth's crust, and some mountain ranges are still in the process of growing. This argument, once held to be so compelling by creationists, has been completely abandoned by creationists today, who simply picked up their tents and moved on to new arguments. The problem of course is that there are fewer and fewer compelling arguments for a young Earth to be made. The more we understand about the physical world, the more we recognize that virtually everything has a perfectly natural answer.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The problem of course is that there are fewer and fewer compelling arguments for a young Earth to be made. The more we understand about the physical world, the more we recognize that virtually everything has a perfectly natural answer.
Yes. And that fact is upsetting to those who find their "ticket to immortality" lurking in whatever remains unknown.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:27 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes. And that fact is upsetting to those who find their "ticket to immortality" lurking in whatever remains unknown.
That is one inherent problem with "truth." It simply is whatever it is, and is completely indifferent to the requirements of others that it should be warm and comforting.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:48 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I posted that one when I was on Facebook. It wasn't a staple for me - i was told it was wrong once, and i learned from it. Do you think people deliberately try to wind you up?

I think people grasp to anything to confirm their personal beliefs. If not, their system of beliefs crashes and suddenly world they so painstakingly constructed to feel safe in it collapses, leaving them with nothing and a new build to do. It can be devastating. Better to grasp to a lie, than to face ruins.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:08 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I think people grasp to anything to confirm their personal beliefs. If not, their system of beliefs crashes and suddenly world they so painstakingly constructed to feel safe in it collapses, leaving them with nothing and a new build to do. It can be devastating. Better to grasp to a lie, than to face ruins.
I don't think my inner world is quite so desperate. Everyone has doubts, but there is always a reset button that can be pressed, and then the narrative can be run again from the beginning to get the story straight. Disrupts along the way don't change the basic programme - it just needs debugging. I'm grateful for the no holes barred challenges I receive on CD.

For the record, I haven't been a YE'er for some time now - I lean toward gap theory (since dinosaurs and fossils don't fit with YE and a YE is totally inconsistent with an old universe - it makes sense that the substance of the earth has been around since the beginning), and the Bible being more directed to the recent 'Adamic period' - what God has to say to the 'man' made in his image.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:31 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
That was certainly the situation for me, while I was still clinging to the fundamentalist Christianity in which I was raised. I read all of the usual Christian apologetics from all of the "usual suspects" in a desperate attempt to "keep my whole world from falling apart."

When I finally de-converted under the crushing weight of the evidence against my beliefs, it was very difficult. I had actual problems with anxiety and panic attacks which required actual medical intervention.

Remember that scene in The Matrix where the main character is puking his guts out and panicking after taking the Red Pill? That was me, right after finally realizing that everything I had been taught was wrong.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:36 AM

689 posts, read 494,929 times
Sounds like a load of garbage to me!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:28 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Even if the earth did stop rotating (which is highly improbable) that would make no difference to feedback from the celestial bodies or whatever.

I've got it!!!

God caused the entire universe to stop rotating to accommodate Joshua. Now that makes perfect sense!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
I think people grasp to anything to confirm their personal beliefs. If not, their system of beliefs crashes

Exactly! Look at the people who believe that Genesis 3:15 is a Messianic prophecy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity