Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 02:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
badlander, I wouldn't take your word for it. If I was inclined, which I'm not, I would research it myself. Meanwhile, in the USA, you lock your doors, you don't let your children speak to strangers and you hope they make it home from school. Brilliant.
So, why is that Canadian heathens who allow same sex marriage and don't have bibles in public schools rarely lock their doors and have no metal detectors or guards in schools?

Could it be...OMG!!... a more secular society with rational gun laws is a safer, more livable society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 02:38 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I haven't locked my doors (unless going away for more than a day) in 40 years.

There are no metal detectors or security guards in Canadian schools.

Shall I continue?
Just because Canada rejects them doesn't mean the schools don't need them:

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2014/09/24/toronto_schools_reject_the_cleveland_solution_meta l_detectors.html

Old 08-03-2016, 03:05 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
So, why is that Canadian heathens who allow same sex marriage and don't have bibles in public schools rarely lock their doors and have no metal detectors or guards in schools?

Could it be...OMG!!... a more secular society with rational gun laws is a safer, more livable society?
I think it is more complicated than that too. But I do not think the problem in inner city schools is based on a lack of Bibles. Perhaps scgraham can provide evidence that not reading the bible in school leads to crime.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I think it is more complicated than that too. But I do not think the problem in inner city schools is based on a lack of Bibles. Perhaps scgraham can provide evidence that not reading the bible in school leads to crime.
The way they are being taught in schools today, they can't read anything.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/...h-grade-level/

Old 08-03-2016, 06:00 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Expert: Most US College Freshmen Read at 7th Grade Level
My granddaughters certainly can read higher than at that level. If they can't in America you cannot blame it on LBGT community nor none of the other ills you see wrong in society. On the other hand most stories in Briebart can be suspect in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:33 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Expert: Most US College Freshmen Read at 7th Grade Level
If they backed that claim up with a study I missed it. Could you link up the data? It just seems really weird to me that most college freshmen can only read at a 7th grade level. That's 7th grade level for students who chose post secondary education. I'm pretty close to calling BS on this but maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it?
I did notice this in the article:

Breitbart Texas recently spoke with Stotsky, who said, “We are spending billions of dollars trying to send students to college and maintain them there when, on average, they read at about the grade 6 or 7 level, according to Renaissance Learning’s latest report on what American students in grades 9-12 read, whether assigned or chosen.â€

I really hope that isn't what passes for evidence that these kids can't read above the level of a book they might choose.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:35 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
My granddaughters certainly can read higher than at that level. If they can't in America you cannot blame it on LBGT community nor none of the other ills you see wrong in society. On the other hand most stories in Briebart can be suspect in my opinion.
I checked out the source Briebart. Judging by who this is site is meant to appeal to we may have another manufactured crisis on our hands here.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:32 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
badlander, I wouldn't take your word for it. If I was inclined, which I'm not, I would research it myself. Meanwhile, in the USA, you lock your doors, you don't let your children speak to strangers and you hope they make it home from school. Brilliant.
Doesn't happen here in Spain and we don't haver Bibles in schools or metal detectors and gays can marry. Perhaps the problem is not Bibles...but Americans.

Quote:

^^^^^^ YEEEEEES! THIS!

Old 08-04-2016, 05:35 AM

You say it doesn't happen, but who would believe you?
Spain pupil with 'crossbow' kills teacher in Barcelona - BBC News

Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't live in fear.
But, you lock your doors and you don't walk home at 3 in the morning in the rough side of town. You want the TSA at the airport. Sounds like fear. Your story doesn't line up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity