Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 05:54 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Bringing god back into the world you think it should be, how exactly would that allow me to keep my doors unlocked an allow my children to talk to strangers exactly?
Fear of God, and fear of man's application of God's Word. Even just 60 yrs ago, most of society respected God's Word, and while not completely righteous, they had a form of godliness. That's gone. Was it perfect? No. But, the children were safe. You didn't lock your doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 06:20 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
You say it doesn't happen, but who would believe you?
Spain pupil with 'crossbow' kills teacher in Barcelona - BBC News
Your point is what? Nobody has said that we don't have incidents. My point was that we don't have Bibles in schools yet we don't have metal detectors in schools, we have gay marriage yet people are not obsessed with security and we can walk the streets without feeling the need to be carrying an array of battlefield weapons.

According to you, removing Bibles from schools plunges a country into the depths of depravity until we reach a stage that America has reached today... but the rest of the developed world proves you wrong. America has a problem certainly but it's nothing to do with removing Bibles from schools.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Even just 60 yrs ago, most of society respected God's Word, and while not completely righteous, they had a form of godliness.
What part of "colored only" drinking fountains was godly?

Old 08-04-2016, 10:16 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Fear of God, and fear of man's application of God's Word. Even just 60 yrs ago, most of society respected God's Word, and while not completely righteous, they had a form of godliness. That's gone. Was it perfect? No. But, the children were safe. You didn't lock your doors.
I still think in many cases the bible is respected, it's what bible fundamentalists have conjured up from it and then tried to force on folks that is rejected and not respected. You've basically taken something that is inspirational and poisoned the pot.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:17 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
But, you lock your doors and you don't walk home at 3 in the morning in the rough side of town. You want the TSA at the airport. Sounds like fear. Your story doesn't line up.

About once a week I forget to lock the front door overnight, we often go for one hour walks leaving the patio door with only the screen door which has no lock and my car does not get locked every time. My shed as no lock and my fence has no gates as we have not gotten around to building them and no longer have dogs to keep out and don't care that the deer come in. There is also a difference between taking some safety measures and living in fear. Not letting your children outside in case something happens is different than teaching your children how to be safe outdoors. Not driving in a car in case of an accident is living in fear, wearing a seat belt is not.

But back onto topic, there are ways of addressing the real problems that affect society but first one needs to determine exactly what they are. If you have evidence that the removing of Bible reading or the Lord's prayer in school have actually increased crime and dangers than provide it. The problem with stating that they did without evidence is that then the solution to inner city crime becomes putting Bibles back in schools and if there is no causation then it is strictly a feel good non solution. And only a feel good solution to a portion of the public. The schools in my neighbourhood are was in low income however they get as much per student as the richest schools in the province that might be more useful than prayer for example. One would have to determine if that is the case. If putting a Bible reading session in the school would solve your inner city problems then I would not object as it would be an extremely cheap solution to a complex problem.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:54 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:

US crime rate at lowest point in decades. Why America is safer now. - CSMonitor.com

The crime rate in 2012 was the lowest since 1963 which is about the time that prayer was taken out of schools is it not?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...-england-wales

Canada?s crime rate: Two decades of decline

Show crime rates decreasing in US UK and Canada over the last four decades

As far as children go
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...0ea_story.html

The news, at the same time shocking and hopeful, about the discovery of three young women who went missing in Cleveland about a decade ago has riveted the country. The notion of a stranger grabbing a child off the street occupies a prominent place in popular fears. But the missing-children cases that rise to the level of news tend to distort perceptions of how often children go missing and why. It’s important to sort out the myth and reality about missing kids

Read the article, it may be you are more concerned about crimes against children being worse that it was for two reasons, one it is easier to report the news today than in the past and two that crimes committed against children are more often reported in the past as opposed to occurring more often than in the past. Uncle Jerk touches your child today and you are more likely to both believe the child and to report Uncle Jerk then when I was growing up.

From that same article

Many state missing-children agencies show declining numbers of cases. That trend is supported by FBI statistics showing fewer missing persons of all ages — down 31 percent between 1997 and 2011. The numbers of homicides, sexual assaults and almost all other crimes against children have been dropping, too.

Don't get me wrong, a single case of violence against a child is one too many but put it into perspective. A child is more likely to be harmed by a family member than a stranger and the danger to children being picked up by a stranger are grossly exaggerated.

Sixty years ago I , like a larger percentage of the population, lived in small towns where you knew almost every one of the thousand or less people who lived there so no we did not lock our doors. I think people in cities did at that time, I know when I visited by cousins the houses were locked when everyone went out. I still do not lock our home if we are home but my father did when my parents moved to a city.

As far as the godliness of the people when I was growing up, it must of been invisible as I do not recall people being much different then except more racist, more sexist and less tolerant of those of other sexual orientations or religions. The past always looks better look back then it did at the time.

It is good that you are concerned about the safety of children and I commend you on being concerned. I do not share your opinion on the reason for the lack of safety of them and that if it is getting worse.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:56 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Or lynching?

Lynching Statistics for 1882-1968

Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Exactly. Emmitt Till, who was only 14, was lynched 60 years ago. Why people like the scgraham consider that a more godly and better time I do not know. Maybe he'll tell us.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Your point is what? Nobody has said that we don't have incidents. My point was that we don't have Bibles in schools yet we don't have metal detectors in schools, we have gay marriage yet people are not obsessed with security and we can walk the streets without feeling the need to be carrying an array of battlefield weapons.

According to you, removing Bibles from schools plunges a country into the depths of depravity until we reach a stage that America has reached today... but the rest of the developed world proves you wrong. America has a problem certainly but it's nothing to do with removing Bibles from schools.
Your point is nonsensical. My point wasn't metal detectors, but the killings in schools, which used to not be, even in Spain.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It wasn't perfect, as I already said, but even the blacks weren't killing each other as they do today. Go ahead and call me a white supremacist now so as to deflect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity