Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:06 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

I guess this post is primarily for L8Gr8Apost8, or for anyone else with enough knowledge of the Jehovah's Witnesses to be able to give me an accurate answer based on personal experiences.

When Jehovah's Witnesses attend church for the purpose of worship, what exactly is the service like? How much focus is there on actual "worship" as opposed to studying the Bible and discussing how to put non-JWs in their place? I realize that this question gives away my negative bias, but I am genuinely curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:24 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
It's presented as the focus being on study and deepening understanding.

There used to be 5 hours of collective study each week.

Tuesday: one hour study of a WT book with the meeting held in someone's home. Read the book, conductor would ask questions at bottom of page, someone would answer directly out of the book.

Thursday: 2 hour meeting including (now replaced with I don't know what) Theocratic Ministry School. That is were they teach people the annoying habit of listening to people only with the intention of responding (overcoming objections they called it) People had to prepare small 5 minute talks useful for the ministry. Man and boys would address the congregation directly, women would do a skit with another sister about a situation that could take place and how a witness could respond.

Sunday: One hour talk given by some elder on random issue. Every once in a while someone would screw up and they would use that hour for "special needs". I was the topic of one once when I took an academic award in Econ. Big NONO in the JW culture.
2nd hour of Sunday meeting was devoted to studying a WT article. Same format as book study. Someone reads the article, conductor asks questions from bottom of page, someone answers.

I guess the "worship" comes in when the sing out of a song book to start the meeting, after the first hour, and to end the meeting. there is also a long, drawn out prayer at the end. Mostly it is just straight indoctrination the whole 5 hours. Little kids are expected to sit still the whole time and pay attention. Even giving a coloring book to a 2 year old is considered spiritually weak. You really don't want to know how they train toddlers to sit through hours of indoctrination without a peep.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:04 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I guess this post is primarily for L8Gr8Apost8, or for anyone else with enough knowledge of the Jehovah's Witnesses to be able to give me an accurate answer based on personal experiences.
When Jehovah's Witnesses attend church for the purpose of worship, what exactly is the service like? How much focus is there on actual "worship" as opposed to studying the Bible and discussing how to put non-JWs in their place? I realize that this question gives away my negative bias, but I am genuinely curious.
Outline for this weeks mid-week meeting at one's local Kingdom Hall ( see phone book )
Treasures from God's Word:
* praying for others pleases God ( I guess that qualifies as how to put non-JW's in their place )
* Job 42:7-8 Jehovah expected Job to pray for Eliphaz, Bilhad, and Zophar
* Job 42:10 Jehovah restored Job's health after he prayed for them
* Job 42:10-17 Jehovah greatly blessed Job for his faith and endurance

Digging for Spiritual Gems:
* Job 38:4-7 Who are the ' morning stars ' and what do we known about them
* Job 42:3-5 What can we do to see God as Job did
* What does the Bible reading teach me about God
* What points from this week's Bible reading can I use when talking with others

Bible Reading - Job 41:1-26

Apply oneself to the public ministry ways to present videos

Living as Christians:
Discussion of using the JW Library - see jw.org or ROKU broadcast streaming jw.org

Congregation Bible Study:
Dealing with Jonah chapter 4
* How did Jonah show faith and courage as he preached in Nineveh
* What can we learn from the Ninevites' repentance
* What can we learn from Jonah's attitude toward the repentance of the Ninevites
* In what ways would you like to imitate the faith of Jonah

This Sunday's meeting:
First, about a 1/2 hour talk on one Bible subject
Followed by a Bible study. This week about baptism:
* What is maturity, and how did Daniel 1:8 display maturity
* How can one tell if the decision to get baptized comes from one's heart
* What is dedication, and how is it related to baptism

Old 05-01-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's presented as the focus being on study and deepening understanding.

There used to be 5 hours of collective study each week.

Tuesday: one hour study of a WT book with the meeting held in someone's home. Read the book, conductor would ask questions at bottom of page, someone would answer directly out of the book.

Thursday: 2 hour meeting including (now replaced with I don't know what) Theocratic Ministry School. That is were they teach people the annoying habit of listening to people only with the intention of responding (overcoming objections they called it) People had to prepare small 5 minute talks useful for the ministry. Man and boys would address the congregation directly, women would do a skit with another sister about a situation that could take place and how a witness could respond.

Sunday: One hour talk given by some elder on random issue. Every once in a while someone would screw up and they would use that hour for "special needs". I was the topic of one once when I took an academic award in Econ. Big NONO in the JW culture.
2nd hour of Sunday meeting was devoted to studying a WT article. Same format as book study. Someone reads the article, conductor asks questions from bottom of page, someone answers.

I guess the "worship" comes in when the sing out of a song book to start the meeting, after the first hour, and to end the meeting. there is also a long, drawn out prayer at the end. Mostly it is just straight indoctrination the whole 5 hours. Little kids are expected to sit still the whole time and pay attention. Even giving a coloring book to a 2 year old is considered spiritually weak. You really don't want to know how they train toddlers to sit through hours of indoctrination without a peep.
Wow. That really just blows my mind -- especially the "Theocratic Ministry School" part. I just know that every time I have ever tried to have a conversation with a JW (mostly on another forum I post on, where there are a whole lot of them), I have always gotten the impression that there was a kind of a pro-programmed response they were supposed to give to every point I raised. It's frustrating, because I really do like to learn about other people's beliefs. It's just been almost impossible to have a conversation that's strictly a back-and-forth dialogue built on mutual respect and interest in understanding and building bridges. Your answer helps me understand why that is.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Wow. That really just blows my mind -- especially the "Theocratic Ministry School" part. I just know that every time I have ever tried to have a conversation with a JW (mostly on another forum I post on, where there are a whole lot of them), I have always gotten the impression that there was a kind of a pro-programmed response they were supposed to give to every point I raised. It's frustrating, because I really do like to learn about other people's beliefs. It's just been almost impossible to have a conversation that's strictly a back-and-forth dialogue built on mutual respect and interest in understanding and building bridges. Your answer helps me understand why that is.
Interest in the Catholic faith one would go to a Catholic
Interest in the Jewish faith one would go to a Jew
Interest in the Buddhist faith one would go to a Buddhist
So, interest in Jehovah's Witnesses' faith go to jw.org, or ROKU broadcast streaming jw.org.
Also, the local phone book would give the nearest Kingdom Hall location to visit and see first hand.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Interest in the Catholic faith one would go to a Catholic
Interest in the Jewish faith one would go to a Jew
Interest in the Buddhist faith one would go to a Buddhist
You have no idea how many times I've said something similar myself: If you want to know what Mormons believe, ask a Mormon. I do understand where you're coming from, and I totally respect that. It's just that Jehovah's Witnesses seldom come right out on forums and state their religion. I had no idea that you were a Jehovah's Witness. Obviously, I'll pay attention to what you have to say, and if other Witnesses would like to contribute, I'd like to hear from them, too. I only mentioned L8Gr8Apost8 because I knew she would be able to give me an answer based on her own experiences. Can you tell me if you would disagree with anything she said.

Quote:
So, interest in Jehovah's Witnesses' faith go to jw.org, or ROKU broadcast streaming jw.org.
Also, the local phone book would give the nearest Kingdom Hall location to visit and see first hand.
Thank you for the resources. I would probably visit a Kingdom Hall except that I wouldn't want to go alone, and I wouldn't want to find myself having to say, "I just wanted to see what your services were like, but I am not interested in having you tell me why I should convert."

I also find it interesting that Witnesses are not supposed to attend other religion's services (unless I'm mistaken about that, in which case, I hope you'll correct me) but they encourage people to attend theirs. That sort of sounds like a double-standard to me.

Finally, in the past, I've often stuck up for the JWs in forums like this. As a Mormon, I know what like it feels like to be the part of a small minority and constantly be having people inaccurately state my beliefs. I kind of thought I would make some JW friends this way, too, but it only backfired. At this point, I pretty much steer clear of discussions with them for the reasons I outlined in my OP. This is why I asked my initial question. I was curious as to whether JWs actually spend any time doing what, to me, constitutes "worship."

Old 05-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
You have no idea how many times I've said something similar myself: If you want to know what Mormons believe, ask a Mormon. I do understand where you're coming from, and I totally respect that. It's just that Jehovah's Witnesses seldom come right out on forums and state their religion. I had no idea that you were a Jehovah's Witness. Obviously, I'll pay attention to what you have to say, and if other Witnesses would like to contribute, I'd like to hear from them, too. I only mentioned L8Gr8Apost8 because I knew she would be able to give me an answer based on her own experiences. Can you tell me if you would disagree with anything she said.
Thank you for the resources. I would probably visit a Kingdom Hall except that I wouldn't want to go alone, and I wouldn't want to find myself having to say, "I just wanted to see what your services were like, but I am not interested in having you tell me why I should convert."
I also find it interesting that Witnesses are not supposed to attend other religion's services (unless I'm mistaken about that, in which case, I hope you'll correct me) but they encourage people to attend theirs. That sort of sounds like a double-standard to me.
Finally, in the past, I've often stuck up for the JWs in forums like this. As a Mormon, I know what like it feels like to be the part of a small minority and constantly be having people inaccurately state my beliefs. I kind of thought I would make some JW friends this way, too, but it only backfired. At this point, I pretty much steer clear of discussions with them for the reasons I outlined in my OP. This is why I asked my initial question. I was curious as to whether JWs actually spend any time doing what, to me, constitutes "worship."
Thank you for your reply. I do Not post here to discuss religions, but to stick to what I believe the Bible really teaches.
Only because you asked such a direct question, then I felt you were respectfully owed a direct response.

We have one young woman who comes to the mid-week meeting, and on Sunday's she attends the Mormon church.
She happily likes both places.

Since Jesus said he is the way ( and Not the ways ) then there is No interfaith for baptized Witnesses.
That does Not mean ignoring others but not taking part of their faith.
For example: when a Catholic uncle died I listened to the funeral home talk but did Not attend the mass.
Since Romans 6:7 says the dead are freed or acquitted from sins, but the priest says to pray for the dead.
Even to have pre-paid masses said for the dead, to me that is unscriptural.

Do you think ' worship ' can be including one's whole life style ?
So, service to God would include one's everyday life style besides Not forsaking gathering together - Hebrews 10:24-26

Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
They also have special conventions you could attend. Here is the upcoming summer one. I am sure Matthew can fill you in on how the ONLY way to survive Armageddon is to follow the Faithful & Discreet Salve (TM). It is of ultimate importance that you do everything these 7 men in NY say. It has been pointed out...I'll let them speak for themselves on this one: "All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not." Watchtower 2013 Nov 15 p.20

Official Source: www.jw.org/en/publications/books/2016-Convention-Program/
The program features the following interesting talk titles:
FRIDAY
  1. Chairman's Address: Jehovah Deserves "Undivided Loyalty"
  2. Maintain Loyalty in – Thought!
  3. Maintain Loyalty in – Word!
  4. Maintain Loyalty in – Action!
  5. DRAMATIC BIBLE READING: "Who Is on Jehovah's Side?"
  6. Jehovah's "Loyal Love Is Better Than Life"
  7. Be Loyal, as Jesus Was – When Young
  8. Be Loyal, as Jesus Was – When Persecuted
  9. Be Loyal, as Jesus Was – When Tempted
  10. Be Loyal, as Jesus Was – When Praised
  11. Be Loyal, as Jesus Was – When Tired
  12. Be Loyal, as Jesus Was – When Abandoned
  13. Be Loyal, as Jesus Was – When Facing Death
  14. Loyally Uphold Jehovah's Judgements – Hate What Jehovah Hates
  15. Loyally Uphold Jehovah's Judgements – Shun Unreptentant Wrongdoers
  16. Loyally Uphold Jehovah's Judgements – Be Forgiving
  17. Loyalty—Part of the New Personality
  18. How Christ's Loyalty as High Priest Helps Us
SATURDAY
  1. Helping Others to Become Loyal to Jehovah – Unbelieving Mates
  2. Helping Others to Become Loyal to Jehovah – Former Bible Students
  3. Helping Others to Become Loyal to Jehovah – Inactive Ones
  4. Helping Others to Become Loyal to Jehovah – Relatives
  5. Do Not Imitate Disloyal Ones – Adam
  6. Do Not Imitate Disloyal Ones – Absalom
  7. Do Not Imitate Disloyal Ones – Solomon
  8. Do Not Imitate Disloyal Ones – Judas Iscariot
  9. Imitate Loyal Ones – Ruth
  10. Imitate Loyal Ones – David
  11. Imitate Loyal Ones – Hushai
  12. Imitate Loyal Ones – Shiprah and Puah
  13. BAPTISM: Never Abandon Your Loyal Love for Jehovah
  14. Lessons on Loyalty From the Book of Job – Loyal Despite Direct Attacks
  15. Lessons on Loyalty From the Book of Job – Loyal Despite Subtle Attacks
  16. Lessons on Loyalty From the Book of Job – What We Learn From Natural Forces
  17. Lessons on Loyalty From the Book of Job – What the Animal Creation Teaches Us
  18. DRAMA: "Hope for What We Do Not See"
  19. Keep Waiting Eagerly With Endurance!
SUNDAY
  1. Avoid What Erodes Loyalty – Pride
  2. Avoid What Erodes Loyalty – Improper Entertainment
  3. Avoid What Erodes Loyalty – Bad Associations
  4. Avoid What Erodes Loyalty – Fear of Man
  5. Pursue What Builds Loyalty – Appreciation
  6. Pursue What Builds Loyalty – Self-Control
  7. Pursue What Builds Loyalty – Love
  8. Pursue What Builds Loyalty – Faith
  9. PUBLIC BIBLE DISCOURSE: When Will Loyal Love Triumph Over Hatred?
  10. Summary of The Watchtower
  11. DRAMA: "O Jehovah, ... I Trust In You"
  12. Jehovah Will Treat His Loyal One in a Special Way
One cannot escape the conclusion that this is a convention for the members, not for the public.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I do Not post here to discuss religions, but to stick to what I believe the Bible really teaches.
Only because you asked such a direct question, then I felt you were respectfully owed a direct response.
Thank you. I appreciate that. But that's where we differ, I guess. I am here to discuss religion. Naturally, when I present my point of view, I believe it to be in line with what the Bible teaches. I do not, however, have any illusions of converting anyone here to Mormonism. I do want people to have an accurate understanding of what Mormonism teaches, though, and I don't think anybody will be interested if every conversation ends with me proselytizing and telling them why I'm right and they're wrong.

Quote:
Since Jesus said he is the way ( and Not the ways ) then there is No interfaith for baptized Witnesses.
That does Not mean ignoring others but not taking part of their faith.
For example: when a Catholic uncle died I listened to the funeral home talk but did Not attend the mass.
Since Romans 6:7 says the dead are freed or acquitted from sins, but the priest says to pray for the dead.
Even to have pre-paid masses said for the dead, to me that is unscriptural.
I understand what you are saying, but it still seems a bit one-sided to me. I mean, if baptized Mormons, Catholics, Baptists or Lutherans were not to attend Jehovah's Witnesses services, how would they ever come to know what such a service was like. If I attend other churches, I do so solely to better my understanding of what their members believe or (in the case of a funeral) to be there as a support for the surviving family. I feel that I can do that without compromising my own beliefs. I suppose that if you don't feel that you can, you are better off staying away, though.

Quote:
Do you think ' worship ' can be including one's whole life style ? So, service to God would include one's everyday life style besides Not forsaking gathering together - Hebrews 10:24-26
I don't know that I'd call a person's whole lifestyle "worship." I know that my religious beliefs form the foundation for how I live my life, how I interact with other people, both of my own faith and of other faiths, and how I go about my daily activities. But to me, Sunday worship is more than that. It involves a spirit to spirit communion with the Lord, receiving the Sacrament (aka the Lords Supper, Eucharist, etc.) and renewing my baptismal covenants with Him. It involves learning how to better myself more than it involves how to convince other people that I what I believe is right and what they believe is wrong. I'm sure there are a great many Jehovah's Witnesses that I might be able to sit down and have an interesting conversation with; I just haven't run into any yet. They are always more concerned with out-debating me than about understanding my perspective and finding anything worthwhile in it.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
One cannot escape the conclusion that this is a convention for the members, not for the public.
I've got to admit that this appears to be the case. I realize that I'd have to actually sit in on a meeting in order to come to a definitive conclusion on that, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity