Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So let's say tomorrow God speaks to Bob down the street. (Not trying to be funny either, the Biblical God is notorious for picking extremely ordinary men.) As long as everything Bob writes agrees with existing scripture, then the newly minted Book of Bob is also scripture of equal standing with the existing 66 books of the Bible. Fair?

I think the Bible is an excellent tool for pointing us to God and that has been my own lifelong pursuit. It was a very long time ago that I realized that the entire point of the Bible was not to be the repository of all needed truth, but to point us to the source of all truth -- God Himself. I can tell you that the knowledge and certainty of God's existence, God's love, the reality of what Jesus Christ did for us -- it all burns so brightly inside me that I cannot begin to describe it. I know God is and I know it better than seeing, hearing, feeling, tasting or smelling. The very core of the New Testament message was to have a personal relationship with God built upon direct personal revelation. Wretchedly undeserving though I might be, I have that in my life. God never intended for that to end.

My point when mentioning the Jewish closure of the canon is to underscore one simple fact: Just because we haven't heard from God in awhile doesn't mean He doesn't speak or that He won't speak again. Most likely, it means that like the Jews we lost the ability to listen. It is not God that moved. It was us -- and it behooves us to find and fix whatever went so horribly wrong.
What happens if the message you "hear" from God contradicts that of the Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 05:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So let's say tomorrow God speaks to Bob down the street. (Not trying to be funny either, the Biblical God is notorious for picking extremely ordinary men.) As long as everything Bob writes agrees with existing scripture, then the newly minted Book of Bob is also scripture of equal standing with the existing 66 books of the Bible. Fair?

I think the Bible is an excellent tool for pointing us to God and that has been my own lifelong pursuit. It was a very long time ago that I realized that the entire point of the Bible was not to be the repository of all needed truth, but to point us to the source of all truth -- God Himself. I can tell you that the knowledge and certainty of God's existence, God's love, the reality of what Jesus Christ did for us -- it all burns so brightly inside me that I cannot begin to describe it. I know God is and I know it better than seeing, hearing, feeling, tasting or smelling. The very core of the New Testament message was to have a personal relationship with God built upon direct personal revelation. Wretchedly undeserving though I might be, I have that in my life. God never intended for that to end.

My point when mentioning the Jewish closure of the canon is to underscore one simple fact: Just because we haven't heard from God in awhile doesn't mean He doesn't speak or that He won't speak again. Most likely, it means that like the Jews we lost the ability to listen. It is not God that moved. It was us -- and it behooves us to find and fix whatever went so horribly wrong.
Hi,

If God spoke to Bob and what Bob reported was what was in scripture/in agreement with it, why speak to Bob in the 1st place???? Now of it agrees that does not make it scripture, just in agreement with it. After all how do we know God spoke to Bob, that Bob didn't make that up and use what he saw in scripture that allowed him to claim a revelation?

While I agree knowing God and His Son is an absolute, it is not the only requirement nor the only one we should pursue. We are told, as an example, to accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior. Most focus on Savior, and ignore what accepting him as Lord means. Lord is Master and it means we will obey him in all things. As an example Matt 28:19,20 requires every Christian, male and female, to preach and teach throughout their entire life. Scripture indicates this should not just be a part of their life but such a part that others recognize that their "work" is filling the neighborhood-city-State-Nation-World. If that reputation does not exist they are not obeying Jesus, who really just repeated his Father's words.

Actually we always hear from God,we just need to read from the Bible. Jesus' parable of the Wheat and Tares, shows the field "Church" would become weed filled and weed controlled until the harvest. Then no new Canon is spoken of, just the angels and man harvesting before the end. The next new "scrolls" open in the millennium after the harvest, so no new ones now nor since the end of the 1st century..

Old 05-03-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Romans 5:12-14

"Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned— 13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. 14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come."

1 Cor 15:21 "For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead."

Adam is blamed for the sin. We are children of Adam at birth, and we must be born again as children of the "New Adam" -- Jesus. So, to answer your question, Scripture never explicitly answers your question, but it seems to imply that the answer to your question would be "No". Elsewhere in Scripture, we see blessing and curses passed down specifically from the Father to the child. Never from the mother to child. That's why Jesus had an earthly mother, but no earthly Father.
Very goodpoints.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sure there's more than one in a city the size of Salt Lake. I have attended several churches' services other than my own, including Catholic, Pentecostal and Unitarian. I just don't like going alone.
Yep, lots more.

https://www.jw.org/apps/E_FsPnZGTZNCF

at least 5 within the city and 5 in the suburbs.

JW's have smaller congregations, so one "Kingdom Hall" may have multiple congregations using it.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep, lots more.

JW's have smaller congregations, so one "Kingdom Hall" may have multiple congregations using it.
Really? Now that's an interesting point I never knew. I just assumed that all the folks that went to a Kingdom Hall were a member of the same congregation.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Not pro-programmed--The JW,s accomplish this-1Cor 1:10-- unity of thought-no division. Taught how to be as close as one with Jehovah and his son.
Yes JW's focus on helping others learn. Their time is voluntary so they focus on that. Many, while interested in such conversations Kaz speaks of, have to balance their time. Focus is they issue, not an unwillingness to have a decent discussion on other subjects.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep, lots more.

When I was a teenager, my two best friends and I (all Mormon) decided that we wanted to visit a different Christian denomination every week until we'd visited all of the ones listed in the phone book. We asked our parents if this would be okay with them, and they all said it was. Unfortunately we chickened out.

I can't really remember, but I suspect this was my idea. I have been interested in learning about the differences between the various Christian denominations since I was literally about ten years old.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:38 AM

741 posts, read 444,814 times
Quote:
Romans 5:12-14

"Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned— 13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. 14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come."

1 Cor 15:21 "For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead."

Adam is blamed for the sin. We are children of Adam at birth, and we must be born again as children of the "New Adam" -- Jesus. So, to answer your question, Scripture never explicitly answers your question, but it seems to imply that the answer to your question would be "No". Elsewhere in Scripture, we see blessing and curses passed down specifically from the Father to the child. Never from the mother to child. That's why Jesus had an earthly mother, but no earthly Father.
Not a bad answer.

Did you notice in Genesis 3:6 and 7 the exact moment when their 'eyes were opened, realizing they were naked'? It was not when Eve ate the fruit alone but when Adam also ate. However, even though Adam certainly holds majority of the burden since he certainly knew better. What all that said. What if roles were reversed? Adam ate but Eve didn't. Would Adam's sin be greater than Eve's uncorrupted body thus passing sin on to the children? Remember, Bible scriptures to support your point.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
What all that said. What if roles were reversed? Adam ate but Eve didn't. Would Adam's sin be greater than Eve's uncorrupted body thus passing sin on to the children? Remember, Bible scriptures to support your point.
Yes. For the same reason I answered before. Read the passages I quoted. Sin entered the world through Adam and is passed down through man. Adam is culpable for the sin. It was HIS responsibility to lead his wife. As for the rest of the question? I'm not aware of any scripture that answers it directly--other than to say that Adam is responsible.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 AM

741 posts, read 444,814 times
Quote:
Yes. For the same reason I answered before. Read the passages I quoted. Sin entered the world through Adam and is passed down through man. Adam is culpable for the sin. It was HIS responsibility to lead his wife. As for the rest of the question? I'm not aware of any scripture that answers it directly--other than to say that Adam is responsible.
"As he was passing along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. And his disciples asked him: “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, so that he was born blind?” Jesus answered: “Neither this man sinned nor his parents, but it was so that the works of God might be made manifest in his case. We must do the works of the One who sent me while it is day; the night is coming when no man can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the world’s light.” After he said these things, he spat on the ground and made a paste with the saliva, and he smeared the paste on the man’s eyes and said to him: “Go wash in the pool of Si·loʹam” (which is translated “Sent Forth”). And he went and washed, and came back seeing." John 9:1-8

After reading the above scripture does it really matter which gender has sin in them? Do you think that sin is greater than any person with a perfect body? Can corrupted DNA over write perfect DNA?

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 05-04-2016 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity