Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:16 PM

435 posts, read 251,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post

Not entering the kingdom of heaven is a big deal, and nowhere does it say or imply it's a delayed entrance.

Also read the parable on Lazarus and the rich man, you will see there's a definite and conscious seperation between heaven and hell. One is conscious joy and comfort in Gods presence, the other is conscious torment out of Gods presence. And there's a gulf between the two that cannot be crossed.

Yes, it's a big deal, but nothing compared to the sadism of ECT. Which was my point.

The delay is implied by every Scriptural position for UR and harmonizes with passages that speak of the chosen as "firstfruits" of His creatures (James 1), each in His own order vivified...Christ, the church & the end class (1 Cor.15:22-28), those "especially" saved (1 Tim.4), a ransom for all...to be testified in its own eras (1Tim.2:4-6), proclamations to the dead (1Pet.3:18-20; 4:6), the gift of aionian salvation/life, etc.

In Lk.16 Lazarus is in Hades. In Revelation all those in Hades get out. So Hades is a merely temporary abode, even if the parable is taken literally. So offers no support to the ECT viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
Our existence is not a product of design. I certainly believe that God can contribute, influence, and teach. However except for the laws of nature themselves there is not design because such a things is contrary to the essence of life itself. We are self-organizing. We make the choices of what to become and that includes how aware and free we are in our choices.
So, you made the choice to become human or it just worked out that way?

Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Once a choice is made that road/possibility is closed -- otherwise choices are meaningless.
The mistakes of yesterday; and the fears of tomorrow, should never be the deciding factor.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:04 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,821,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Yes, it's a big deal, but nothing compared to the sadism of ECT. Which was my point.

The delay is implied by every Scriptural position for UR and harmonizes with passages that speak of the chosen as "firstfruits" of His creatures (James 1), each in His own order vivified...Christ, the church & the end class (1 Cor.15:22-28), those "especially" saved (1 Tim.4), a ransom for all...to be testified in its own eras (1Tim.2:4-6), proclamations to the dead (1Pet.3:18-20; 4:6), the gift of aionian salvation/life, etc.

In Lk.16 Lazarus is in Hades. In Revelation all those in Hades get out. So Hades is a merely temporary abode, even if the parable is taken literally. So offers no support to the ECT viewpoint.
Huh.
Sorry.

What?

Destination and cause are sealed.
If you broach the agreement of marriage a new contract is in order.
With all his Boldness King David hit his mark by reason of instruction. Even being a Man he held fear and fought with all the might of night. Laying his head during a time of rest his soul earred with a giant. So like a strong man he ate of the honey withon the lion.

Not many have strung the bow and took hold of the blood they have spilled.

I will say this once and only once .

Iran be gone.

Last edited by pinacled; 08-08-2016 at 01:17 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 03:09 AM

595 posts, read 332,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
So, you made the choice to become human or it just worked out that way?
There are so many things wrong with this question, it is hard to know where to begin.

This is like the nonsense I often hear from atheists that they didn't get to choose to exist as if that were even a rational possibility. The only choices we have are how to respond to our circumstances and yes by those choices we become what we are. But this is a process that goes back to the beginnings of life 4 billion years ago. Over that long period of time there was an accumulation of information from a trial and error learning process we call evolution in which there were many many different choices resulting in 8.7 million different species. Thus individually we start with an inheritance of this information along with personal innovations and yes we (or rather what "we" were at the time) made choices in the struggle with every cell in response to whatever challenges our environment confronted us with.

But that is a description of how we became a homo sapiens, for I do not accept the presumption that being human is equivalent to this. Our humanity comes from a different heritage transmitted by human communication and yes we chose how to use that information in the self-organization of the mind in an even less deterministic manner than our biological development. And do all choose be human? No they do not. For whatever reason some are decidedly inhuman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The mistakes of yesterday; and the fears of tomorrow, should never be the deciding factor.
The deciding factor is whether we choose to learn from those mistakes of yesterday and how we choose to respond to the fears of tomorrow. But the choices matter because once made they are done and we never return for a do-over.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Huh.
Sorry.

What?

Destination and cause are sealed.
If you broach the agreement of marriage a new contract is in order.
With all his Boldness King David hit his mark by reason of instruction. Even being a Man he held fear and fought with all the might of night. Laying his head during a time of rest his soul earred with a giant. So like a strong man he ate of the honey withon the lion.

Even when he committed ADULTERY and sent URIAH to his death!!(zman28 added some truth to the rant)

Not many have strung the bow and took hold of the blood they have spilled.

I will say this once and only once .

Iran be gone.
Another great example of evangelical cultist thinking...and showing the LOVE of CHRIST..

Why, I can hear ISIS now--

AMERICA BE GONE..

Do some people serious think (BELIEVE) that one statement is more CHRIST like than the pother??

Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,420,964 times
Quote:

Can people who have closed off their mind change to open them again? Yes, but only when something outside forces itself into their awareness. That is the very purpose of physical life. It is why we have all these laws of physics by which forces can come along and break our body or snuff out our life. We need this time during which the ability to realize our dreams are limited by an external reality. That limitation protects us from ourselves and gives us a chance to learn. But physical life comes to an end and then the rule of the external laws of nature is gone and what we have chosen is all that is left because that is what the spirit is.
May I ask, on what are you basing this conclusion?

Old 08-08-2016, 07:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Get out? It says Hades is thrown into the lake of fire.

"Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death."

The people in Hades are judged:

"Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire."

"the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

I would not use the Revelation to support any 2nd chance theories.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:19 PM

595 posts, read 332,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
May I ask, on what are you basing this conclusion?
It is the only thing that makes any sense of all this religious stuff. Otherwise, I would throw it all in the garbage.

Why don't I?

Follow the link in this quote to where I answered this question before.
Quote:
As a scientist I am well acquainted with scientific methodology...

Old 08-08-2016, 01:25 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,821,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Another great example of evangelical cultist thinking...and showing the LOVE of CHRIST..

Why, I can hear ISIS now--

AMERICA BE GONE..

Do some people serious think (BELIEVE) that one statement is more CHRIST like than the pother??
Whos isis?

I was just giving the heads up to Iran's supposed kings.

They are so deep in transgression that our Heavenly Father has turned his back on them.

Zatz you are brave.
Though you are not ready just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity