Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 07:01 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Seductress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Sounds like by the third bite you're wondering if the baker would notice if the whole thing suddenly went missing right after she turned her head away because you pointed at the stove and screamed "FIRE!" Hey, it could happen...

Serious skills you got.
Dew it must be the Jezebel in me.

Ribbi. I once made this cake for my sisters ER co-workers. The next time I had to deliver it myself. The first one mysteriously disappeared.

[CENTER]Save[CENTER]Sa[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 AM

431 posts, read 257,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sorry, but when I read comments like this, I can't help but wonder if I'm seeing an intentional desire to misrepresent the facts or just ignorance at work. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a membership today of 15.6 million. The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (which is a different group entirely) has a membership of perhaps 40,000 at the most, making it .25% (that's not 25%, but a quarter of 1%!) the size of the Church commonly (although inaccurately) referred to as the "Mormon Church." When people say things like "some Mormons have multiple wives," it is very misleading and can easily confuse those people who might actually prefer accurate information to falsehoods. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do not practice polygamy and haven't for well over 130 years. As a matter of fact, do to so is an excommunicable offense.
I understand that the Mormon faith does not practice polygamy. However it's undeniable that they have been associated with that stereo type because of their past history and modern day exploitations. But at one point in history, many followers of that faith did. The question is why? Because there was example of it in the old testament? Because God told them to populate the earth?

I've read that some Jews (emphasis on some) did not spit on the ground on Saturday because it would turn the dirt to mud, and that was an act of work on the Sabbath. The same goes with the other examples I gave regarding Catholics, Baptist and others ( I know am painting a very broad picture of these very distinctive faiths). Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:02 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,049,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Dew it must be the Jezebel in me.

Ribbi. I once made this cake for my sisters ER co-workers. The next time I had to deliver it myself. The first one mysteriously disappeared.

[CENTER]Save[CENTER]Sa[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

ROFLOL....see? I told you it could happen...

I make my grandmother's recipe for pineapple cake, and there's not another one out there like it. One of my daughter's friends insisted on being texted whenever I did. The girl actually would drop whatever she was doing and even leave work to come and get her portion. I always wondered what she told her boss she was doing

Of course, she had to if she wanted to get any, as my kids were fond of taking portions before it was served and hiding them from each other, and with my boys being 6'2 and 6'3, you KNEW you weren't going to end up with nothing but crumbs once they hit, lol...I finally gave up on ever having desert for dinner from just one cake, and just made two cakes every time. Peace

Old 09-01-2016, 01:43 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
I am a none domination Christian. I believe in Christ as God, the Father and Holy Spirit. He is the central point of my faith and the reason for our salvation. But the question that lingers in my mind is what Jehovas Witness (JW) followers believe and why they believe what they do.
I've always been open minded. Like many, when I was younger I would try to discredit the things of God with history or science. I could go on with my personal philosophies as to why Christendom grew through out the world and influenced world powers like Rome, Spain and England. Never the less, I found a peace in the simple belief in Jesus Christ and I continue to grow to become a better man while on this earth.
Recently, a close family member joined JW and has ritually started to follow their teachings. I've know J.W. all my life and they are good decent people. The very reason for the start of their group was based on teaching errors made by "The Church" which were becoming more and more prevalent as the world became more enlightened and more educated in the area of just knowing how to read. This wasn't a new concept as Martin Luther and others had seen the errors in the teaching of the Cathoilc Church centuries before. You could even argue the start of Islam itself was a revolt against what they considered wrong teachings of the god of Abraham.
The little I know about J.W. is they don't believe in the Trinity concept, they don't celebrate holidays (especially Chistmas and New Years), Their belief of heaven is a bit different than most other Christian denominations and they don't celebrate birthdays. This last one, the birthdays really ticked me off recently as I've seen this family member get more and more involved in their beliefs. At a recent birthday celebration, this person and his wife quickly rushed into a bathroom while we were all singing happy birthday to another family member. This was a happy event and they acted as if an evil spirit had just entered the realm and they had to hide from it's presence while we sang happy birthday. The explanation I get is that this is based on the be-heading of John the Baptist on King Herods birthday.
So, I get it to a certain extent. They don't celebrate Christmas, new years or Easter because those dates are based on pagan holidays. The determination of what heaven and eternal life is and will be is up for debate. But to me, J.W witness have simply started to selectively take stories of the Bible and create their own doctrine, just as every other religion has always done and perhaps always will. Thought?
Thought ?
If a person wants to know what a Catholic believes go to priest
If a person wants to know what a Jew believes to to a rabbi
So, if a person wants to know what a Jehovah's Witness believes go www.jw.org or jw broadcast streaming

Old 09-01-2016, 06:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You must be a Southerner. I've heard about that! I'm heading down to North Carolina on the weekend, and I'm going to watch out for anyone trying to bless my heart.

Thanks. Feeling better now.
Currently living in TN and once lived in NC.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Secular publications are at times good sources for answers about religious practices when free of dogma. The changes in practices that were introduced at later periods in the Christian church were, in part, motivated by a desire to ease conversion of pagans to Christianity. Intuitively, the practice of Christians early in the history of the faith would provide a better understanding of what Jesus and the apostles believed and taught.

"Due to the belief that humans are born with original sin and the fact that early birthdays were tied to pagan gods, the Christian Church considered birthday celebrations evil for the first few hundred years of its existence. Around the fourth century Christians changed their minds and began to celebrate the birthday of Jesus as the holiday of Christmas. The new celebration was accepted into the church partly in hopes of recruiting those already celebrating the Roman holiday of Saturnalia."-http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/history-of-birthdays_n_4227366.html

Do people who identify as Christians recognize the importance of what Jesus said in John 4:24?
Good point

Old 09-01-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
I am sorry you feel that way. What subject did I change, I'll get right back on it for you.
Not you. Many who were objecting to what you said.

Were you at Etihad in Nov 2014?

Old 09-02-2016, 01:28 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Do people who identify as Christians recognize the importance of what Jesus said in John 4:24?
Clearly, JW's don't! You have to KNOW the Holy Spirit to worship Him in Spirit and what the JW's believe about Him is not remotely accurate. They can't even describe the Holy Spirit.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:03 PM

776 posts, read 581,198 times
This is over my head, I always thought their was one main god and has addressed him as so. Never really cared if he was in two or three people, Christ and/or H.G., some say he lives in all of us so that would make him two or three people in 8-9 billion people. Growing up I hated this being from a multi-religious family. Always just think there is just Jesus and God, I always assumed god had just one mind-set so I never worried about it. Second, if his name is Jehovah, why dose it matter that we do or don't call him God? My boss doesn't get mad if I call him Sir, I figure calling god, well God, is like calling my boss sir. In fact in prayer I sometimes call god, sir. As for the cake thing, I hate family get togethers and hate my birthdays so when I heard of JW's I was like score. But after reading this I don't think it would be a good fit for me. Also I can only hope JW's are right about the Birthday thing, there are a large number of people like me that really what to die on our birthdays. As for those of you who are JW's, I would focus on other scripture. The message was to help the weak and the poor not to shun them away. Have fun trying to get into heaven sliding that one by God and Jesus.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:22 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,049,777 times
The poster on here who told you to find a bible believing non-denominational church was the best bet for you. Once you know Him and gain the foundation, He can put you where He wants you, and it will be a perfect fit for where you are at that moment. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity