Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
This is over my head, I always thought their was one main god and has addressed him as so. Never really cared if he was in two or three people, Christ and/or H.G., some say he lives in all of us so that would make him two or three people in 8-9 billion people. Growing up I hated this being from a multi-religious family. Always just think there is just Jesus and God, I always assumed god had just one mind-set so I never worried about it. Second, if his name is Jehovah, why dose it matter that we do or don't call him God? My boss doesn't get mad if I call him Sir, I figure calling god, well God, is like calling my boss sir. In fact in prayer I sometimes call god, sir. As for the cake thing, I hate family get togethers and hate my birthdays so when I heard of JW's I was like score. But after reading this I don't think it would be a good fit for me. Also I can only hope JW's are right about the Birthday thing, there are a large number of people like me that really what to die on our birthdays. As for those of you who are JW's, I would focus on other scripture. The message was to help the weak and the poor not to shun them away. Have fun trying to get into heaven sliding that one by God and Jesus.
Re the name of God. IF a title that is also used of others, including false Gods is OK, why did He have His name written over 7000 times in the Bible, far more than any other being. The names of False Gods, like Baal, and others are there, but God's name has been taken out of many Bibles with no real justification. It would be like removing Jesus' name and substituting Lord every where. How do you think he would feel about that? How does His father and God feel about those who have taken His name out of use???

Note how Jesus feels about it.

John 17:6 6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

John 17:12 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

John 17:26 26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Making His name known includes his literal name as well as His characteristics, etc. Now Christians are followers of Christ and try to copy him to our best ability. Hard to do if you reject what He did about his Father's name or consider it unimportant in view of what Jesus said about it.

Last edited by expatCA; 09-02-2016 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 08:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
It beats me why anyone today gives a flying fig what Jehovah cares about or doesn't care about.

The dude was a monster in a storybook.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
This is over my head, I always thought their was one main god and has addressed him as so. Never really cared if he was in two or three people, Christ and/or H.G., some say he lives in all of us so that would make him two or three people in 8-9 billion people. Growing up I hated this being from a multi-religious family. Always just think there is just Jesus and God, I always assumed god had just one mind-set so I never worried about it. Second, if his name is Jehovah, why dose it matter that we do or don't call him God? My boss doesn't get mad if I call him Sir, I figure calling god, well God, is like calling my boss sir. In fact in prayer I sometimes call god, sir. As for the cake thing, I hate family get togethers and hate my birthdays so when I heard of JW's I was like score. But after reading this I don't think it would be a good fit for me. Also I can only hope JW's are right about the Birthday thing, there are a large number of people like me that really what to die on our birthdays. As for those of you who are JW's, I would focus on other scripture. The message was to help the weak and the poor not to shun them away. Have fun trying to get into heaven sliding that one by God and Jesus.
Nothere1 read post #46. The Huffington Post is an online news source not affiliated with any religious organization. It's not just JWs that don't celebrate birthdays or Christmas but the earliest Christians for several hundred years didn't.

However, if people want to celebrate Christmas or birthdays that's their choice just as it's JWs choice not to. People want to scarf down some cake and ice cream or have their egg nogg that's their decision. We don't interfere with the public's choice on these issues and others but just respect our choice not to participate. It's that simple but some people make it complicated. The OP asked why JWs don't celebrate those events and so an answer has been provided.

We call our friends by their name not just man or woman. We even give our beloved pets names we don't just call them dog or cat or hamster. So, why wouldn't we want to know the name of the Creator and use it in a respectful way? Even Jesus thought it was important enough to make God's name known... "I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”-John 17:26.

Ever stop to think what Jesus was talking about when he taught us the Lord's Pray? "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name?" How does that work if we don't care what God's name is?

Jehovah has been the commonly accepted English transliteration of God's name found in the Bible, which is YHWH, for hundreds of years. It's not something JWs made up. Even the revised King James Bible has the divine name back in place. (see post #46).

When you think about it... being a Christian takes continual effort. It's really not for people who don't want to expend the effort to continually follow Christ's footsteps.Sometimes being a Christian means making difficult and unpopular choices.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Nothere1 read post #46. The Huffington Post is an online news source not affiliated with any religious organization. It's not just JWs that don't celebrate birthdays or Christmas but the earliest Christians for several hundred years didn't.

However, if people want to celebrate Christmas or birthdays that's their choice just as it's JWs choice not to. People want to scarf down some cake and ice cream or have their egg nogg that's their decision. We don't interfere with the public's choice on these issues and others but just respect our choice not to participate. It's that simple but some people make it complicated. The OP asked why JWs don't celebrate those events and so an answer has been provided.

We call our friends by their name not just man or woman. We even give our beloved pets names we don't just call them dog or cat or hamster. So, why wouldn't we want to know the name of the Creator and use it in a respectful way? Even Jesus thought it was important enough to make God's name known... "I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”-John 17:26.

Ever stop to think what Jesus was talking about when he taught us the Lord's Pray? "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name?" How does that work if we don't care what God's name is?

Jehovah has been the commonly accepted English transliteration of God's name found in the Bible, which is YHWH, for hundreds of years. It's not something JWs made up. Even the revised King James Bible has the divine name back in place. (see post #46).

When you think about it... being a Christian takes continual effort. It's really not for people who don't want to expend the effort to continually follow Christ's footsteps.Sometimes being a Christian means making difficult and unpopular choices.
And over 100 years ago The American Standard Version (ASV) a revision of the KJV to the modern English of the time, returned the name to its proper place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity