Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:10 PM

431 posts, read 257,417 times

Advertisements

[quote=Marakorpa;45320926]Comments: what do you mean by "ritually" started to follow?

Jw's cannot accept the degrading of Jehovah by making him only a third of his Almighty self. They do not accept the trinity which was no introduced into the Roman Church until 300 years after Jesus' time on earth, and by Constantine, the very Pagan Emperor of Rome.

Not celebrating birthdays has nothing to do with the two birthdays mention in the Bible.

The accuracies of the New World Translation might surprise most folk. The interpretations or wording is extensively studies before the Governing Body decides to accept them as accurate. I can list the sources of the Bible's content from the Jws. if you wish.

Jesus said to his disciples "My kingdom is no part of this world, just as you are no part of this world" “You are no part of the world.”—JOHN 15:19.

Revelation mentions Christendom, and Babylon the Great, which was the pagan center of the world of its time. The Definition is thus: Definition: The world empire of false religion, embracing all religions whose teachings and practices do not conform to the true worship of Jehovah, the only true God. Following the Flood of Noah’s day, false religion had its beginning at Babel (later known as Babylon). (Gen. 10:8-10; 11:4-9) In time, Babylonish religious beliefs and practices spread to many lands. So Babylon the Great became a fitting name for false religion as a whole.

Maybe I should have used the word traditions more than "ritually". As most religions do have their traditions and JW live their life in that way (when convenient).

Any one can take any passage in the bible and take it out context or find a reason to make it their doctrine. Why do some Mormons have multiple wives? Why do 7 day Adventist not work on Saturday? why do Catholics feel the Pope is closer to God than anyone else? Why do Baptist believe in water Baptism?

You said Jesus stated it is better the day you die than the day you were born (and we have to believe that is true coming from the source). He also told his disciples not to worry about the poor because we will always have the poor, but He would not be around much longer. Paul, who was influenced by Christ Himself, said is better not marry (and for good reason).

I try not to get involved in legalistic rhetoric. I've learned that even during Jesus's life we were still under the old covenant. He was a Jew, and many of the things He said and did were to satisfy the old covenant in the true way it was intended, not the corruption that was driving the Jewish religion at the time. Not much different than what's going on today I suppose.

My point is not so much the actual rituals or traditions of a JW. It's the bondage that comes along with a cult like traditions. It appears the penalties for not following their rules is severe, but not as severe as Scientologist who defect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 04:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Strange how throughout the OT god has Israel celebrate and recognize various ANNIVERSARIES and other ANNUAL events on a scheduled basis?
Yes, but never birthday celebrations. They are always presented in a negative light.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
You wont have too long to see if you are correct....Then what if you ain't?
They just post to change the subject, denigrate others who have answers they do not and ... well waste band with.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Strange that god recognizes anniversaries and the Kingdom Hall is terrified of them...
Silly, they are not terrified of them. They celebrate wedding anniversaries as an example. However Birthdays are always in a negative light, so God is trying to tell those who listen, something important.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. I am currently sharing an office with a JW. Nice young woman, from Ecuador. She has told me a few things about why they believe what they believe, and yesterday we were talking about the blood thing, as in why they don't do transfusions. Two other South Americans, a man and woman, whom I presume are Catholics, were going over the verses with her that supports that belief and giving their interpretation. What was most amusing was that many of our coworkers (and the owner) are Hasidic Jews, and a couple of them were listening and seemed pretty amused by the whole conversation.

I might add that last week this JW came to work sneezing and feeling unwell and went home sick. The day before yesterday I started sneezing and that's when I realized JW's don't say the customary "bless you" because that's evil in some way, too. Anyway, I'm home sick today.
Not evil, But where I live the expression "bless you" can also have a negative connotation.

Sorry to hear you are sick, get well soon.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:55 PM

[quote=NorthTexasGuy;45330538]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post

My point is not so much the actual rituals or traditions of a JW. It's the bondage that comes along with a cult like traditions. It appears the penalties for not following their rules is severe, but not as severe as Scientologist who defect.
Actually not true. The main "discipline" if you will comes when someone breaks and does not repent from serious sins like murder, adultery; those found in:

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Paul showed how and when this was to be done:

1 Corinthians 5:1-2 KJV 1 Corinthians 5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. 2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you

1 Corinthians 5:9-13 9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: 10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? 13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Once they have repented and turned around from their bad course then they can be received back:
2 Corinthians 2:5-8 5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all. 6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many. 7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow. 8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.

This individual changed and could be welcomed back and shown love to help him.

Jehovah's Witnesses, unlike most hypocritical churches obey and in love eject the unrepentant one, after trying to help them, and also receive them back if they change. Most churches don't do so as they do not want to lose their tithe. They put money ahead of God, and claim it is loving. Yep loving money.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:07 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm mostly not a cake person, although I have a sweet tooth for other culinary delicacies.

But I would dearly love to try a piece of one of Ronkon's cakes. That girl can flat-out SELL a cake with words.
You rang?

For my sister's birthday I am making my flour-less Chocolate Cloud Roll.

The night before, I will slowly melt a dark Belgian 72% chocolate. and make a lighter than air chocolate mousse filling, with cream from Rosie; a grass-fed and finished local beauty.

I will dust this ethereal creation with Droste cocoa , and serve it with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

After your very first bite, you will wonder how it disappeared with barely a taste. On the second bite, you will think, how does chocolate taste so light and clean?

We will finish the evening with your recommended tequila I had to order it. Can't wait.

Youse guys would love this lighter than air cake. Food for the Gods I tell ya. Youse should taste my NewYawk Cheese Cake. mmmm [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-31-2016, 05:16 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
How wicked is Sonia? Why don't you tell him what horrible crime she committed that her parents kicked her out and wouldn't even answer her phone call for 15 years? If she married the guy she isn't committing fornication. This is A JW production and not the word of an apostate on what really goes on. Why don't you fill them in on the loving provision of treating her like a non person even after she does try and rejoin since she was judged unrepentant by a jury of 3 men in the first place. Is that fair to her? Is that fair to expect a parent to completely shut off their child EVER?

WATCH: This creepy video instructs Jehovah’s Witnesses to shame their own children into depression

Old 08-31-2016, 05:20 PM

481 posts, read 263,021 times
One thing I have found, in my longish life, is that many are prepared to speak ill of someone else quicker than they will speak good.

I don't do it now, but it was once a game of mine to say something nice about someone, and wait for the expected answer, "Well yes! They are all right I suppose, but did you hear about the ........Gossip Gossip?"

If you should ask where the person heard such stuff, they would then give the invariable answer..."It is not from me, someone (maybe even a name) told me." And so it goes on.

The JWs cop this all the time, I am really surprised, maybe I shouldn't be, at the kind comments, although disagreement, that is put here. It is nice to see.

The comment that the JWs take certain passages form the Bible and make them a different interpretation is not near correct. You will see that when they have a point to make it will be backed by many scriptures, which when understood, gives the clear indication of what Jehovah requires.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:21 PM

481 posts, read 263,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They just post to change the subject, denigrate others who have answers they do not and ... well waste band with.
I am sorry you feel that way. What subject did I change, I'll get right back on it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity