Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 05:24 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The whole evangelical Christian value proposition is a kind of Jedi mind trick: you better believe that there is a God who wants to punish you, otherwise said God will punish you. It's circular logic, but it "makes sense" to many reptilian brains (much like Pascal's Wager).
the thing is, "you better believe that there is a God who wants to punish you" is religion, not God. So none of that really addresses you and your relationship with whatever made you, spiritually speaking. Their error and denial does not change your position. In the end, the decision about what you believe will happen to you when you die is really the only one that matters; it is the most profound one, and you make it all alone, there won't be any evangelical Christians hanging around.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Don't come here and play pretend. It's unbecoming.
yikes lol--the concepts do seem to be quite altered in the traditions. Christians have satan and sin at the front in a way that Jews just don't, that is undeniable. The differences in the way they discuss spiritual questions are profound, too, i never hear a Jew say "no, that's wrong," it seems, and the discussion is inevitably creation-centered, not about sin. which the two might go together lol

Old 09-29-2016, 05:38 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
yikes lol--the concepts do seem to be quite altered in the traditions. Christians have satan and sin at the front in a way that Jews just don't, that is undeniable. The differences in the way they discuss spiritual questions is profound, too, i never hear a Jew say "no, that's wrong," it seems, and the discussion is inevitably creation-centered, not about sin. which the two might go together lol
Oh stop it.

I got your big toe. And you know it.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Oh stop it.

I got your big toe. And you know it.
hmm, no, honestly, i'm a Christian, I'm quite comfortable with sin lol wish i wasn't. I just observe that there is a big difference, it can even be seen in the cultures, out in the street. Jews are just like Muslims, lol, though I'm sure they don't like the comparison, but the point is they are mostly a very open, positive, earthy, lusty, creative, emotional people, they kind of remind me of racehorses or something, and the culture is completely...well, just different, the lack of dwelling on sin transmits to the...heck, the air, they aren't codependent like Americans, so your decision is your own, you aren't being coerced and manipulated all the time. They call you when they don't need anything. Sitting alone in a room like e do is unheard of. Trippy, i just saw that in the triangle, Jew/Christian/Muslim, each pair has a common bond, with this, hmm.

if you have a soul you will hate the day you leave the middle east lol

Old 09-29-2016, 07:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
So, pretty much Utopianism without the pointed gun?
Actually, it doesn't address government, just individuals. "Be the change you want to see" as someone said.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Quote:
hmm, no, honestly, i'm a Christian, I'm quite comfortable with sin lol wish i wasn't. I just observe that there is a big difference, it can even be seen in the cultures, out in the street. Jews are just like Muslims, lol, though I'm sure they don't like the comparison, but the point is they are mostly a very open, positive, earthy, lusty, creative, emotional people, they kind of remind me of racehorses or something, and the culture is completely...well, just different, the lack of dwelling on sin transmits to the...heck, the air, they aren't codependent like Americans, so your decision is your own, you aren't being coerced and manipulated all the time. They call you when they don't need anything. Sitting alone in a room like e do is unheard of. Trippy, i just saw that in the triangle, Jew/Christian/Muslim, each pair has a common bond, with this, hmm.

if you have a soul you will hate the day you leave the middle east lol
Yeah that's the stumble and all.
I am glad to hear the Jews know what finger to put the ring on.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Don't come here and play pretend. It's unbecoming.
Pretend what?...

Quote:
The fallen ones have recieved their mark.
Given over to a bribe only to forsake a free gift.

Even the demons tremble.
Is this something that you dreamed about?...

Quote:
Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.
You mean that he appeared to the ten, remember, Thomas wasn't there....

Old 09-29-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's the stumble and all.
I am glad to hear the Jews know what finger to put the ring on.
i don't think that is entirely fair; there are Jewish kids in prison for protesting Israeli occupation of Palestine, etc. The younger generation is better imo. But i chiefly compare them because of their similarity to each other to a Westerner, the many things they have in common, even when you can easily tell that they are Muslim or Jew.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
i don't think that is entirely fair; there are Jewish kids in prison for protesting Israeli occupation of Palestine, etc. The younger generation is better imo. But i chiefly compare them because of their similarity to each other to a Westerner, the many things they have in common, even when you can easily tell that they are Muslim or Jew.
About 95% of the Israeli population are secular...

Old 09-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
About 95% of the Israeli population are secular...
ya they are just people, like any people. More or less devout or religious on the same sliding scale as your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity