Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 09:31 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

Don't be silly.
You either accept god as creator and as alpha and omega of everything or you do not. It is very simple choice. God either is, or is not. Period.
And if you do accept god as such, then you should remember that we are all god's creation. I do not recall differentiation in the book you believe into, saying that god created some but did not create others. Go, find. Good luck.
And as such, perfect god can create only perfect creation.
And as such, ALL are accepted by god.
The rest is YOUR judgement, but wasn't it said - thou shan't judge, as have you no measure?
Yet, human thinks it is above god. Human thinks he knows better.
Oh, the laughs god has with us...... Brats, just brats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:50 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
I recommend this movie. I am still learning how the bible came about to understand it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubxnoTeL_M
This is a good video. Thanks for posting it. You have my for doing so.

Even today there are many words in the Old Testament that are simply guessed at by translators. Hebrew today, and that of 2500 years ago don't always match.

To give you an English example, the following is an excerpt from the prologue to one of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (the Wife of Bath):
Quote:
To chirche was myn housbonde born a morwe With neighebores, that for hym maden sorwe, And Jankyn, oure clerk, was oon of tho. As help me God, whan that I saugh hym go After the beere, me thoughte he hadde a paire Of legges and of feet so clene and faire That al myn herte I gaf unto his hoold. He was, I trowe, a twenty wynter oold, And I was fourty, if I shal seye sooth; But yet I hadde alwey a coltes tooth. Gat-tothed I was, and that bicam me weel,
https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/...ologue-excerpt
This was written around the end of the thirteenth century in the then current English. Students still struggle with it and it is far easier as phonetically much of it makes sense. However Hebrew had no vowels, so it is much guessed at. Even God's name through many books as Yahweh, was spelled YHWH. In addition there was no punctuation at all. Much of that is guessed at. We are only 700 years from Chaucer and our language didn't almost disappear for a few years. Most of the OT is about 2500-2800 years old.

Bottom line, when people proclaim the Bible says this and the Bible says that, they are spinning a tale as large as Chaucer's. We have an IDEA about the OT, much better with the NT, and even in the latter there exists some words in Greek that were showing up for the first time by those first and second century authors.

So studying Scripture in a critical manner (not criticizing, but scrutinizing) is the only intellectually honest way to view it. It is a faith book and the authors were all making testimonies about their own faith in the Almighty. The fact is, that from one book to the next, some stories change and a few even contradict. When religionists try to make it a "perfect" book, all they do is make themselves perfectly pathetic. Only real faith can see through the word guesses, the conflicted writings, and the editorializing that took place (the Torah is the amalgamated work of at least four different authors).

So, I do not know if there is a heaven or not. The early Hebrews didn't understand "heaven" as we do. They mostly felt it was a duty to follow their God (and they didn't always do that---which is a lot of what the OT is all about). I leave heaven and hell to God, and try to be about His work on earth which is quite simple from the NT. This Bill Gaither song sung by the Oak Ridge Boys sums it up. Anyone who says it's more than this, is simply playing the same game many translators have with Scripture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEegcg1DC0

And the story behind the song can be found here:
The Story Behind The Song: Loving God, Loving Each Other | Gaither Music

Old 05-14-2017, 06:55 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Guess gluttony isn't one of those evil sins anymore?

Old 05-14-2017, 07:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
If the qualification is to believe(as lord and savior) in Jesus I would not, but I would deserve to go to heaven. I've lived my life as clean or cleaner than most Christians. And, believing in Jesus with no evidence is irrational. I would think that an intelligent God would appreciate rational thought.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:00 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Guess gluttony isn't one of those evil sins anymore?
Heaven will be filled with nothing BUT sinners. If you aren't one, Jesus didn't come to give you an audience.

"Later, as Jesus was dining at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with Him and His disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.…But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”…
Matt 9:10-13

Old 05-14-2017, 12:14 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
If the qualification is to believe(as lord and savior) in Jesus I would not, but I would deserve to go to heaven. I've lived my life as clean or cleaner than most Christians. And, believing in Jesus with no evidence is irrational. I would think that an intelligent God would appreciate rational thought.
Jesus won't be grading on the curve

Believing in Jesus without seeing Him is called FAITH

We are ALL born spiritually dead.....with this "dead" being like a car battery that's low, it needs an outside force on it to work.....and that's the Holy Spirit tugging on your heart.....to bring you to salvation

Rom 3:23* For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;*

In one verse God has short circuited everybody who thinks they are "good enough"......you're not good enough to enter heaven unless you're as holy as Jesus.........one sin held against you and you're out

Old 05-14-2017, 12:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Richard I am cheating by not spending time to study your posts.

I will get there, promise but have a question about htis

Jesus words: Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28

Why would I be afraid of the one aka Satan, destroying both my body and Soul in hell aka the grave/sheol?

Versus if he only destroys my BODY??

If we truly are just going into the grave, to become dust anyhow, why would I fear such?

This implies an eternal spirit or body, apart from the one destroyed in the grave, will be assigned no matter what.

We (all of us) already have an eternal spirit/soul. It's a matter of our eternal address.

Jesus words: Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28

I read that as not to fear man. Our enemy is not flesh and blood but principalities. Once we put on the full armor of God (daily) we need not fear Satan. If God is for us, who can be against us? (He's got our back.)
I think Jesus was warning us to arm up with the ammunition that is effective against that enemy.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:29 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Heaven will be filled with nothing BUT sinners. If you aren't one, Jesus didn't come to give you an audience.

"Later, as Jesus was dining at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with Him and His disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.…But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”…
Amen! If God wiped out all the sin of the world we'd all be gone.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:31 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Maat, the gospel is GOOD news. Jesus came to set those bound to the old covenant (house of Judah was all that remained) freeeeeee...... They killed him for it.

Jesus message was all GOD wants is for all his creatures to love him and to love their neighbour as themselves.

That's the law in a nutshell.

If you violate the law there are consequences ...... you reap what you sow.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:33 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:

Heaven and the kingdom of heaven are 2 different things.

There will be sinners in the kingdom of God, but there are NO sinners in heaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity