Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 04:00 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You judge according to the flesh: I judge not any man. - Jesus

Sure, I took it out of context...but it stands alone in MY book.
What do the fear-based Bible thumpers say to this?

Can you picture Jesus saying this? Because...wow.
Yes, you did take it out of context, and your reference to 'fear based Bible thumpers,' and asking if they can picture Jesus saying this hints at a low regard for those to whom it is aimed. And I have to wonder if your intent is to invite more fundamentalist bashing which is rampant on this forum.

If you're satisfied with a partial picture then you can take John 8:15 and gush all over it. But if you want the complete picture then you must listen to all that the Scriptures say about the matter.

It wasn't Jesus' purpose to judge at His first advent. At His first advent Jesus came not to judge, but to go to the cross and die for the sins of the world, and to offer the kingdom to Israel if they would accept Him as the Messiah. But that the time is coming when Jesus will judge the living and the dead is plainly stated in the Bible. As Paul wrote to Timothy,
2 Timothy 4:1 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom . . .
Jesus in His role as judge can be seen in Matthew 25:31-46 when at the judgment of the nations the accursed ones by Jesus' command will go into eternal punishment in the eternal fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels in contrast with the righteous who go into eternal life.

Even before that, during the Tribulation, the wrath or judgment of God the Father and of the Lamb (Jesus) will be poured out on the earth. In Revelation 6:12-17 during the sixth seal judgment, the inhabitants of the earth who are hiding in caves and in the mountains will desire for the mountains to fall on them and hide them from the wrath of God the Father and from the Lamb.

At the end of the Millennial reign of Jesus, the great white throne judgment will take place and Jesus will be the one sitting on that throne and sending into the lake of fire all whose names are not found in the book of life (Revelation 20:11-15).

If partial pictures appeal to you as is the case with many on this forum, some of whom have already posted on this thread, then don't look at the whole picture. As for me, I choose to see the picture in its entirety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 04:02 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
Quote:

There's always context. Jesus, THE SPIRIT SEED, didn't judge any man. The word, that is the letter (and includes Jesus the man) DOES, which is why He said they judge according to the flesh (not the Spirit, which at that time, only He could do). The flesh MUST be judged so it can DIE, for without a death there is no resurrection. Everyone wants to have a resurrection but no one wants to die to attain it (and I'm not talking about a literal death here ONLY).

What we see right now is some standing outside the garden, refusing to go through the entrance because of those flaming cherubim at the entrance (the fire of the Word that burns up the flesh). But there's only one way back in, as Jesus testified to when He said that anyone who tries to enter not by the door but through a window is a thief and robber. Thieves abound. Peace

Old 07-30-2017, 04:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:

Our words will condemn us, or not ...in the Spirit of truth.

However, as you can see, some judge others from their own flesh.
Believing they speak for GOD with their eternal punishment nonsense.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:20 PM

88 posts, read 36,716 times
I believe Jesus was saying that he does not judge people as man does. Otherwise He contradicts this saying;

"I judge as I hear and my judgement is just because I am not seeking my own will but the will of Him who sent me."

Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:

What's the context? That rich publishers payed dedicated career scribes to put other words and other books around it?

Old 07-30-2017, 06:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Our words will condemn us, or not ...in the Spirit of truth.
However, as you can see, some judge others from their own flesh.
Believing they speak for GOD with their eternal punishment nonsense.
Thank you, dear.
Oh, wouldn't it be great if the fear were to stop regarding God.
Am I guilty of wanting the fear to stop, this unrelenting fear based preaching...yes...guilty as charged.
And this is a beautiful sentence said by Jesus that is so often overlooked.

'I judge not any man.'

Old 07-30-2017, 07:59 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinv View Post
I believe Jesus was saying that he does not judge people as man does. Otherwise He contradicts this saying;

"I judge as I hear and my judgement is just because I am not seeking my own will but the will of Him who sent me."

Old 07-30-2017, 08:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Thank you, dear.
Oh, wouldn't it be great if the fear were to stop regarding God.
Am I guilty of wanting the fear to stop, this unrelenting fear based preaching...yes...guilty as charged.
And this is a beautiful sentence said by Jesus that is so often overlooked.

'I judge not any man.'
The only fear should be displeasing God or making Him sad. We should fear ourselves as we are the ones doing stupid things that hurt God.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:37 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,994,816 times
Quote:

First, we Bible thumpers are not fear-based. The Bible gives us many reason not to fear the present and especially the future.

Second, it is not important how often we discuss any verse. No verse is avoided if it is the context of the lesson being taught.

What is so hard about believing Jesus said that?

If it stands alone in your book, which is doubtful, you need another book.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The only fear should be displeasing God or making Him sad. We should fear ourselves as we are the ones doing stupid things that hurt God.
How can mere mortals"hurt" god? Is god that immature and insecure that our actions are able to make him angry enough to destroy us????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity