Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 12:50 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Perhaps I'm just missing the point of your original post.
You seemed to be suggesting that judgment is bad.
And that "bible thumpers" do it, and that Jesus said not to.
Did I miss that point? Was it a different point?
Well, i can see why it would seem that was the point since Jesus said, I judge no man! I
missed that one!
BUT, in the deep recesses of my mind !!!! lol...the actual point for me was that God doesn't judge and is not
casting anyone into some ((((hell))))...since Jesus does what the Father wills.
I was not thinking about us judging or not judging per se...i just thought for those that pursue
this 'fear teaching of hell and damnation' if you don't believe their way...here...here is Jesus saying he doesn't judge...and
obviously I 'perverted' it by (and stating) it was taken out of context.
I'm SO bad, dontchakno. I was wrong, i was terrible to try to present Jesus as unjudging of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 01:02 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, i can see why it would seem that was the point since Jesus said, I judge no man! I
missed that one!
BUT, in the deep recesses of my mind !!!! lol...the actual point for me was that God doesn't judge and is not
casting anyone into some ((((hell))))...since Jesus does what the Father wills.
I was not thinking about us judging or not judging per se...i just thought for those that pursue
this 'fear teaching of hell and damnation' if you don't believe their way...here...here is Jesus saying he doesn't judge...and
obviously I 'perverted' it by (and stating) it was taken out of context.
I'm SO bad, dontchakno. I was wrong, i was terrible to try to present Jesus as unjudging of us.
OK...gotcha. I see what you were saying.

What do you do with John 3:18? Those that don't believe are condemned already....do you believe John was right in 8:15 but he missed it in 3:18?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
With the "thumpers" thrown in for good measure, of course, as you can't separate one from the other. Peace
Thumpers thump, yes, and it is reprehensible, but none of us knows the pressures that frive them or what could possibly cure. All we can really do is let them know the harm they do and hope love will show a way through the defensiveness.

Judging an action is not judging a person.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
OK...gotcha. I see what you were saying.

What do you do with John 3:18? Those that don't believe are condemned already....do you believe John was right in 8:15 but he missed it in 3:18?
The condemned already are NOT condemnred of God. If people were under the condemnation OF GOD, it would cause those who are under that condemnation to do the exact opposite of what God's goodness is purposed to do. It's the goodness of God that causes us to turn to him. Romans 2:4. Love does not bargain like the fundy god does, you believe in me and love me and i will lift the condemnation i have you held over a barrel with until you repent.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The condemned already are NOT condemnred of God. If people were under the condemnation OF GOD, it would cause those who are under that condemnation to do the exact opposite of what God's goodness is purposed to do. It's the goodness of God that causes us to turn to him. Romans 2:4. Love does not bargain like the fundy god does, you believe in me and love me and i will lift the condemnation i have you held over a barrel with until you repent.
You haven't read John 3, have you?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You haven't read John 3, have you?
What YOU are missing in this passage is that the word translated as "condemned" is a translation bias by those who would seek fear as a means of control. Even Strong's, (which is not the best Bible dictionary) says the word means: Short Definition: I judge, decide, think good
Definition: (a) I judge, whether in a law-court or privately: sometimes with cognate nouns emphasizing the notion of the verb, (b) I decide, I think (it) good.

Look it up. "Judgement" only becomes "condemnation" in the minds of those who seek control through fear. Judgement in this case simply means that thosae who have not found the better Way will feel the consequences of their actions.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What YOU are missing in this passage is that the word translated as "condemned" is a translation bias by those who would seek fear as a means of control. Even Strong's, (which is not the best Bible dictionary) says the word means: Short Definition: I judge, decide, think good
Definition: (a) I judge, whether in a law-court or privately: sometimes with cognate nouns emphasizing the notion of the verb, (b) I decide, I think (it) good.

Look it up. "Judgement" only becomes "condemnation" in the minds of those who seek control through fear. Judgement in this case simply means that thosae who have not found the better Way will feel the consequences of their actions.
The word is "krino". It means to judge, or to be judged. In the context of John 3:18 it means to be judged. So those that don't believe are judged already. So, while the OP is saying Jesus doesn't judge, we see the same book contain a verse stating that those that don't believe in Jesus is judged already.

You can't have it both ways. Why believe John 8:15 but not John 3:18? It's crazy that one will try to argue from Scripture when it pleases them, but they will write off another verse IN THE SAME BOOK when it doesn't.

So what exactly are you trying to say?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:32 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Yes, I think it's pretty plain in His mind what warrants condemnation....Peace

Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The word is "krino". It means to judge, or to be judged. In the context of John 3:18 it means to be judged. So those that don't believe are judged already. So, while the OP is saying Jesus doesn't judge, we see the same book contain a verse stating that those that don't believe in Jesus is judged already.

You can't have it both ways. Why believe John 8:15 but not John 3:18? It's crazy that one will try to argue from Scripture when it pleases them, but they will write off another verse IN THE SAME BOOK when it doesn't.

So what exactly are you trying to say?
Actually, the verse in the OP says Jesus is not judging anyone at that time. When it comes to our choices it should be clear that those actions have consequences which can only be rectified by atonement, the process of coming to the better Way. THAT is always our choice. I believe OP was thinking of the term in the way that the controllers do: condemnation as opposed to judgement that the normal consequences not be abrogated.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Yes, I think it's pretty plain in His mind what warrants condemnation....Peace

Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
If the shoe fits, you should be wearing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity