Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:13 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's as simple as this. Was Jesus lying or was Jesus wrong when he said, "No one comes to the Father but through Me" ?

Apparently these people, as well as Nateswift, say yes - Jesus is not correct here.
I believe he (Jesus) said, "It is Finished" by and through him.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find Jesus gave us the clue ( bring us closer together ) at John 13:34-35.
People who want to follow Jesus will have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, instead of the Golden Rule to love others as self, now to love others more than self as Jesus does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The answer to that Pleroo is recognizing God in All

Ephesians 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all(Sadly a stumbling block for bible believers).
Quite right, camps. And in recognizing that God is in all, Matt, I would say that there's no loving self or others more or less, there is simply knowing that in loving others we are loving self. It doesn't take being a Christian to realize that, and there's no need to let religious labels divide us.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:40 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Let's make sure we include all participants in this heresy...

Ken Stone, academic dean at Chicago Theological Seminary, said "Rev. Walrond's openness to the truth and wisdom found in multiple religious traditions and his celebration of multiple paths to God" is something the institution supports.

"I don't know that we would use exactly the same language to describe it but in terms of the openness to truth and wisdom found in multiple religious traditions, absolutely we would support that," Stone said.

"Institutionally, we do celebrate multiple paths to God and to God's wisdom and truth and that's what I understand also to be Rev. Walrond's position," he said.
Also...

Shannon Johnson Kershner, who leads the 5,500-member Fourth Presbyterian Church in Chicago, Illinois, expressed similar beliefs last fall.

"God's not a Christian. I mean, we are ... For me, the Christian tradition is the way to understand God and my relationship with the world and other humans and it's for the way for me to move into that relationship but I'm not about to say what God can and cannot do in other ways and with other spiritual experiences," she explained.
---------------

It's as simple as this. Was Jesus lying or was Jesus wrong when he said, "No one comes to the Father but through Me" ?

Apparently these people, as well as Nateswift, say yes - Jesus is not correct here.
Missed this. Jesus essentially says "I embody or perfectly represent the Way to the Father. No one comes to the Father but by that Way." While it is true that I believe that what Jesus taught is the best representation of that Way, it can be sussed out by people of other traditions who are open to that Way.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There is salvation in no one except Christ Jesus. He is the one who paid the penalty for our sins as our substitute.
Acts 4:12 And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his unique Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
No one is saved by living a certain way of life or by doing good works. Eternal life is a free gift which is received simply by trusting in Christ Jesus who by means of His finished redemptive work on the cross made salvation available to those who believe that He died for their sins and rose again.

Anyone who believes that anyone can come to the Father by any means other than Jesus Christ is an enemy of the cross.

Amen!!!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He bore our sins and His sacrifice on the cross allow everyone who believes in Him to have eternal life. It does NOT mean the wicked and unrepentant are going to get a pass and they will die in their sins. Man, that really stinks for you. Luckily, if you are still breathing there is hope if you submit to the will of the One true God

Old 03-13-2018, 06:14 PM

45,570 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Missed this. Jesus essentially says "I embody or perfectly represent the Way to the Father. No one comes to the Father but by that Way." While it is true that I believe that what Jesus taught is the best representation of that Way, it can be sussed out by people of other traditions who are open to that Way.
Like I said - you don't believe what He said.

Instead of revising His statement to your liking, you could just agree that you don't believe Him.

Quote:
Don't know what that has to with Him stating that He is the only way to the Father.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Don't know what that has to with Him stating that He is the only way to the Father.
He opened the door for all humanity, not just those in the here and now, who claim to believe-in him.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
He bore our sins and His sacrifice on the cross allow everyone who believes in Him to have eternal life. It does NOT mean the wicked and unrepentant are going to get a pass and they will die in their sins. Man, that really stinks for you. Luckily, if you are still breathing there is hope if you submit to the will of the One true God
That's aonian life, not aidios, and I do not succumb to peer pressure.
Neither, will I conform to repetitious ignorance because you desire it.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:42 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,708,594 times
Quote:
That's aonian life, not aidios, and I do not succumb to peer pressure.
Neither, will I conform to repetitious ignorance because you desire it.
I sincerely believe there are people here, who, if Jesus began participating on this forum would damn him to hell because they do not know what they are saying or doing. Many Christians have inadvertently locked Jesus outside of their "houses".

Old 03-14-2018, 07:13 AM

45,570 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
He opened the door for all humanity, not just those in the here and now, who claim to believe-in him.
I wouldn't say He opened the door. He said...

Revelation 3:20 - Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

That's a conditional statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity