Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:55 AM

1,977 posts, read 1,943,981 times

Advertisements

John 14:6 - Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me..."

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Matthew 10:33
and whoever shall deny me before men, I also will deny him before my Father who is in the heavens

Mark 8:38
For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in His Father's glory with the holy angels."

Luke 9:26
If anyone is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

Luke 12:9
But whoever denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God.

2 Timothy 2:12
if we endure, we will also reign with Him; if we deny Him, He will also deny us;

NEW YORK — Michael A. Walrond Jr., one of New York City’s most influential pastors who leads the more than 10,000-member First Corinthian Baptist Church in Harlem, is coming under fire online for telling his congregants that the belief that Jesus is the only way to Heaven is “insanity.”

Prior to preaching one of his sermons at First Corinthian just over two weeks ago, Walrond asked the congregation to recite their purpose statement, which he said “shape[s] our identity as a congregation.”

“We are an ever evolving community of visionaries, dreamers, and doers who have been called by God to live the lives we were created to live; commanded by God to love beyond the limits of our prejudices and commissioned by God to serve,” the statement read.

It was while explaining the statement to those who were not familiar with the church’s position that he explained his multiple ways to God concept.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/b...r-says-221123/

Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
The basis of the perception that this minister is wrong is the religiously inspired misinterpretation that Jesus was talking about His PERSON in the cited verse rather than the Way He embodies and taught. Jesus actively DIScouraged personal worship in general and emphasized that the appropriate reaction to His love is to actively show love for others.

This idea is not conducive to controlling others through religion...darn!

Old 03-13-2018, 11:17 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Sounds like yet another person that I will ignore. No need to give him any additional attention or time in the spotlight.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
There is salvation in no one except Christ Jesus. He is the one who paid the penalty for our sins as our substitute.
Acts 4:12 And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his unique Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
No one is saved by living a certain way of life or by doing good works. Eternal life is a free gift which is received simply by trusting in Christ Jesus who by means of His finished redemptive work on the cross made salvation available to those who believe that He died for their sins and rose again.

Anyone who believes that anyone can come to the Father by any means other than Jesus Christ is an enemy of the cross.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
John 14:6 - Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me..."

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Matthew 10:33
and whoever shall deny me before men, I also will deny him before my Father who is in the heavens

Mark 8:38
For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in His Father's glory with the holy angels."

Luke 9:26
If anyone is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

Luke 12:9
But whoever denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God.

2 Timothy 2:12
if we endure, we will also reign with Him; if we deny Him, He will also deny us;

NEW YORK — Michael A. Walrond Jr., one of New York City’s most influential pastors who leads the more than 10,000-member First Corinthian Baptist Church in Harlem, is coming under fire online for telling his congregants that the belief that Jesus is the only way to Heaven is “insanity.”

Prior to preaching one of his sermons at First Corinthian just over two weeks ago, Walrond asked the congregation to recite their purpose statement, which he said “shape[s] our identity as a congregation.”

“We are an ever evolving community of visionaries, dreamers, and doers who have been called by God to live the lives we were created to live; commanded by God to love beyond the limits of our prejudices and commissioned by God to serve,” the statement read.

It was while explaining the statement to those who were not familiar with the church’s position that he explained his multiple ways to God concept.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/b...r-says-221123/
Never heard of the guy. But yes--it is amazing what people will believe and what heresies people will follow. Spend some time here and you'll see a wide range of false teachings from those that call themselves Christian.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The basis of the perception that this minister is wrong is the religiously inspired misinterpretation that Jesus was talking about His PERSON in the cited verse rather than the Way He embodies and taught. Jesus actively DIScouraged personal worship in general and emphasized that the appropriate reaction to His love is to actively show love for others.

This idea is not conducive to controlling others through religion...darn!
What verse shows Jesus ever discouraging worship?

Old 03-13-2018, 12:00 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
It’s all nonsense.

Everyone knows that you get to Heaven by driving there in your car.

Haven’t you ever seen “The Meaning of Life” by Monty Python?

Old 03-13-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It’s all nonsense.

Everyone knows that you get to Heaven by driving there in your car.

Haven’t you ever seen “The Meaning of Life” by Monty Python?
I know a lot of Christian friends that like Monty Python. I never got into it. Always seemed somewhat blasphemous.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:27 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What verse shows Jesus ever discouraging worship?
You missed the reference to John 14:15? Not surprising.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
John 14:15-21 15"If you love me, keep my commands. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever- 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity