Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
How you can fail to understand so simple is beyond me, as is your rejection of the supernatural or even the possibility of it.
Think about it... Rom. 3:10-11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Don't worry about me Mystic. I got the OK from your Jesus. After that nothing anyone says can bring me down.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no way to reason with unreasonable supernatural beliefs. This self-contradictory rationale is just silly. Of course, we have nothing to do with earning or deserving our salvation because as you said:"Jesus accomplished on the cross everything that was necessary to make salvation possible." Why do you then add something for us to "DO to earn or deserve our salvation?" You make no sense whatsoever.
Quote:
How you can fail to understand so simple is beyond me, as is your rejection of the supernatural or even the possibility of it.
How you can fail to see the contradiction in your view simply because you claim it is not a contradiction is beyond me. Either there IS NOT anything we need to DO to earn or deserve or gain salvation because Jesus saved us or there IS something we must DO to earn or deserve or gain salvation. You can't have both be true. It is irrational. Only the churches have anything to gain by claiming we must do something to deserve or gain salvation - membership and tithes.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:47 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
How you can fail to see the contradiction in your view simply because you claim it is not a contradiction is beyond me. Either there IS NOT anything we need to DO to earn or deserve or gain salvation because Jesus saved us or there IS something we must DO to earn or deserve or gain salvation. You can't have both be true. It is irrational. Only the churches have anything to gain by claiming we must do something to deserve or gain salvation - membership and tithes.
That's just flat out false for the overwhelming majority of churches.

It's not even worth discussing.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:54 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

It fits nicely with Romans 2
2 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2 Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3 So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? 4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?

Old 05-30-2018, 08:16 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
I felt sorry for you earlier, when you spoke of your condition, but then you say the bolded. Despicable!

I have belonged to 3 churches in my life, and love all those people. They did mighty work for the cause of Christ and we saw many peopled saved and helped through the work of the local church.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:21 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
There is no contradiction. We cannot do anything meritorious to earn our salvation. But believing in Christ is not a meritorious work and does not earn our salvation. Placing our faith in Christ for our salvation is a recognition of our inability to earn our salvation and that we are in need of a Savior.

The credit all goes to Jesus. But although Jesus paid the penalty for our sins, which is something you deny by the way, does not automatically save anyone because God requires a positive volitional response from us to the gospel message before we are imputed with the righteousness of Christ by which we are pronounced justified. Until we receive the righteousness of Christ we remain spiritually dead.

This is not hard to understand, except for those with negative volition toward the gospel message and who reject it.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

I was just using a figure of speech when I said it was beyond me.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Here Mystic. Try it this way:

"I apologize if I offended you in any way. That is my cross at work again. I simply wanted to disabuse you of the idea that identifying brain responses associated with ANY experience somehow undermines the validity of the experience. ALL our experiences have brain responses associated with them or they would NOT occur."

I removed one word: "silly". Can you see that it is a judgment word? Stick with facts.
Thanks, Pleroo, I do see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I felt sorry for you earlier, when you spoke of your condition, but then you say the bolded. Despicable!

I have belonged to 3 churches in my life, and love all those people. They did mighty work for the cause of Christ and we saw many peopled saved and helped through the work of the local church.
Sorry, Jimmie, I do see that was an unwarranted and unnecessary judgment that I cannot possibly justify.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:56 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Quote:
Thanks, Pleroo, I do see it.

Sorry, Jimmie, I do see that was an unwarranted and unnecessary judgment that I cannot possibly justify.
You see nothin by your own amission .
After given thousands of warnings you have ignored countless testimonies

From here on.
You have no right to speak of the Holy Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity