Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 10:43 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The easy believe position of paragraph 2 takes one description of one element of salvation and says it is the only one in spite of descriptions that give other elements simply because other elements require participation of the person involved, but they disregard that the belief required is exactly the same kind of participation. This ridiculous situation stems from an extreme position concerning the "sovereignty" of God that requires Him to be a micromanager. you see it in controllers, those who can't stand to see anyone else free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
The easy believe position of paragraph 2 takes one description of one element of salvation and says it is the only one in spite of descriptions that give other elements simply because other elements require participation of the person involved, but they disregard that the belief required is exactly the same kind of participation. This ridiculous situation stems from an extreme position concerning the "sovereignty" of God that requires Him to be a micromanager. you see it in controllers, those who can't stand to see anyone else free.
There no other requirement given in the Bible for eternal life than simply believing that Jesus died for your sins and rose again. Nothing can be added to faith in Christ for eternal life. No works, no promises not to sin anymore, no giving up anything, no commitment of any sort. Simply believe. Anything added to faith alone in Christ alone is works and is contrary to salvation by grace through faith.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

The water of eternal life is free, without cost. Works are a cost, commitment is a cost, giving up certain things, trying to live a certain way are costs. But eternal life is free. No cost. Simply trust in the fact that Jesus died for your sins and rose again, rather than trusting in your own efforts.

Those who believe you must add anything to faith such as works, or making a commitment seem to lack the abilility to make a distinction between what is required for eternal salvation - faith alone in Christ alone, and what is necessary to progress spiritually after salvation.

Such people combine eternal salvation and the spiritual life after salvation as if they are one and the same thing. But they aren't. Eternal life is a free gift which you take possession of through faith.

Spiritual growth on the other hand requires persistent effort on the part of the believer to learn and apply the word of God to his life.

The moment you place your trust in Christ Jesus you receive eternal life which you can never lose.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:09 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Is your position that of "lordship salvation"?

Old 05-30-2018, 01:03 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Is your position that of "lordship salvation"?
The time is fulfilled," He said, "and the kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe in the gospel!"

Old 05-30-2018, 04:24 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
The time is fulfilled," He said, "and the kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe in the gospel!"
Yes, repentance is the gateway to salvation, not the evangelical version of it of feeling condemned but one of turning away from that feeling that the evangelicals would have you focused on and looking away to the goodness of God.

It is the goodness of God that leads us to repentance(reformation). We are what we look at. So the thief looked away from what he state he was in to Christ who is the goodness of God and into a new state.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:38 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
My wife posted a beautiful sun rise coming through the fog on her way down to work this morning.

Her post said "The sun is determined to break through the fog this morning" How true is this in respect to the goodness of the son of God, but sadly we focus on the fog.

I was about to post this on Ozzyrules thread this morning about the effect of fundamentalism and how it shapes your world, but his thread was deleted.

Wihout a doubt it had a huge impact on me. Yet i dealt with it according to the scriptures, by forgetting the things that passed and pressing on to the things before me.......The goodness of God that is ever before and follows me all the days of my life. Can you imagine that, wherever you go the goodness and mercy of God follows you around?. Something as a fundy i could never accept because being sin conscious it veiled the goodness and mercy from me.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:07 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,029,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes, repentance is the gateway to salvation, not the evangelical version of it of feeling condemned but one of turning away from that feeling that the evangelicals would have you focused on and looking away to the goodness of God.

It is the goodness of God that leads us to repentance(reformation). We are what we look at. So the thief looked away from what he state he was in to Christ who is the goodness of God and into a new state.
My friend, you have such a profound way of expressing our lovely Lord & Saviour, and thank you!

"I believe the triumph of the Christ began at the cross and ends only when the race, like Himself, has received from God the father, through him, the grace, power and glory of God that makes them sons of God like Himself. It is a long way between the cross of Calvary and the throne of God, but that is the way that Jesus traveled and that is the course for every other soul of man." -John G. Lake-

Old 05-30-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, this is what evangelical churches preach. What happens if you don't meet the "community commitment" requirement? No salvation?

What happens when you repent and make a commitment, but in the end you accomplish nothing?

You did not answer the question BTW. Yes, or no.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:13 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, this is what evangelical churches preach. What happens if you don't meet the "community commitment" requirement? No salvation?

What happens when you repent and make a commitment, but in the end you accomplish nothing?

You did not answer the question BTW. Yes, or no.
I believe what Jesus taught. Your labels mean nothing to me. If you don't see the need to change or live a Better Way, you don't believe in Christ.

What you accomplish will be weighed against your ability and opportunity as you continue to realize your place in God's love would be my best guess from indications like Hebrews 6:
9Even though we speak like this, beloved, we are convinced of better things in your case—of things that accompany salvation. 10God is not unjust. He will not forget your work and the love you have shown for His name as you have ministered to the saints and continue to do so.
11We want each of you to show the same diligence to the very end, so that your hope may be fully assured. 12Then you will not be sluggish, but will imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I believe what Jesus taught. Your labels mean nothing to me. If you don't see the need to change or live a Better Way, you don't believe in Christ.
Wow, you do believe in lordship salvation. LS leaning fundamental churches teach exactly what you just said.

My view is that salvation is by faith alone, and any potential change is a natural result of it. Some people, however, take a long time to change or for whatever reason some never do. Some make commitments, which end up being unfulfilled (again, for whatever reason). Your view would have them doubt their salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity