Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 11:31 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Was the thief on the cross required to work to earn his salvation?
Who said anything about work to earn salvation? Practice reading comprehension, Finn. Try actually THINKING about what you read instead of reacting to what you EXPECT people to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 11:31 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Just a public service announcement...

1 Corinthians 1:18-24 - 18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written, "I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE, AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE." 20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22 For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, 24 but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

The gospel is not logical with the human mindset. It is foolishness. It doesn't make sense that a dead person was raised up to new life.

It is not human reasoning, but divine revelation that gives us understanding of these things.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Last time. You were answered in post #31. You don't have to like the answer.
Not a question of like or dislike, just clarifying the conclusion for loyal (and thoughtful) CD readers.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift This is known as easy believism and it sure attracts those not willing to make that change to support your "ministries."
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Who said anything about work to earn salvation? Practice reading comprehension, Finn. Try actually THINKING about what you read instead of reacting to what you EXPECT people to say.
I read you just fine. No need to answer since it clearly hit a nerve.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I read you just fine. No need to answer since it clearly hit a nerve.
Then you should have read the entries leading up to that comment which were a clarification that making a commitment to the Way of life Jesus taught was NOT a "work of merit" just as making a confession of faith is not a work of merit. And once again we see that you read INTO comments what you EXPECT people to be saying. Wake up, Finn. Do the checking, you won't look as foolish.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Then you should have read the entries leading up to that comment which were a clarification that making a commitment to the Way of life Jesus taught was NOT a "work of merit" just as making a confession of faith is not a work of merit. And once again we see that you read INTO comments what you EXPECT people to be saying. Wake up, Finn. Do the checking, you won't look as foolish.
Keep your anger to yourself. I read you just fine (today, and in the past). Nothing about your legalist views has changed.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The body dies. The soul of both the believer and unbeliever survives the death of the body. However, the destination of the soul of the believer is different from that of the unbeliever. At the moment of physical death the believer goes to heaven awaiting the resurrection of the body. The unbeliever goes to hades where he also awaits the resurrection of the body. The time will come when all believers will be resurrected and live in the presence of God forever in the new earth and new heavens. The very moment a person believes in Christ he has eternal life. He enters into an eternal relationship with God. The time will come when the unbeliever will be sent to the lake of fire in resurrected body where he will exist forever in a state of spiritual separation from God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Wow. What a bummer. Imagine this...your born black in Somalia into terrible poverty. Pain and suffering all around..you heard of Christ but everyone you know is Muslim. You die at the age of 16, having experienced zero luxuries in life and nothing but hardship. Now you wake up in hades...even worse than Earth. Then God resurrects you and gives you a new, immortal body. Plop, into the lake of fire you go.

This is beyond a terrible nightmare and the majority of souls have only this to look forward to ??

I know you don't like it anymore than I do but when God decided to give man free will........this is the result.
Mike doesn't have a clue, he just mimic's his mentors and what he has been taught.
There is no common sense or rational in his programming; he will remain obstinate.

What he said is bogus there is no underworld, that comes from various mythologies.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Keep your anger to yourself. I read you just fine (today, and in the past). Nothing about your legalist views has changed.
Commenting without checking is just foolish. Persisting in it is stupid.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
When people resort to fake anger and insults it is practically always done to conceal a weak position. I have read your posts and they ooze legalism. I am sorry if you don't like to hear it.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When people resort to fake anger and insults it is practically always done to conceal a weak position. I have read your posts and they ooze legalism.
Actually, you just described yourself ....as always you twist what others are saying.
Which is foolishness on your part, and persisting that you do not is out right ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity