Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Stop with the guessing-game, and make your point?
Ask me if I care about his games. He can answer the question or not/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I have a point, but if you can't take a minute to answer to my question, neither will I bother with your question.

How do you know anyone that you see is alive? It's not a trick question.
ok

Old 05-29-2018, 08:54 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You don't, DRob, I could be a program for all you know. Would you like to actually make a point? Can you explain Mike and Finn's quandry?
Quote:
Stop with the guessing-game, and make your point?
Didn't you guys give me some parable the other day about a wedding feast? I thought you liked parables...

Old 05-29-2018, 09:06 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I'm not in a quandary. The only thing necessary to receive eternal life is to place your faith in Christ Jesus. Period. No commitment, no promises, no giving up anything, no turning from sin. After the believer has been saved through faith alone in Christ alone, if he is growing spiritually then he should be sinning less, but he will still sin. But turning from sin is simply not a requirement to receive the free gift of eternal life.

You hold to the concept of so called 'Lordship salvation' which denies that salvation is by grace through faith alone in Christ alone. I hold to what the scriptures actually say with regard to the issue of salvation.
Wouldn't 'lordship salvation' mean you believe salvation is by faith alone, but that faith will produce a change in the person. This is different from what Nate seems to believe.

https://www.gotquestions.org/lordship-salvation.html

Quote:
Advocates of lordship salvation are careful to say that salvation is by grace alone, that believers are saved before their faith ever produces any good works, and that Christians can and do sin. However, true salvation will inevitably lead to a changed life. The saved will be dedicated to their Savior. A true Christian will not feel comfortable living in unconfessed, unforsaken sin.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
I'm not in a quandary. The only thing necessary to receive eternal life is to place your faith in Christ Jesus. Period. No commitment, no promises, no giving up anything, no turning from sin. After the believer has been saved through faith alone in Christ alone, if he is growing spiritually then he should be sinning less, but he will still sin. But turning from sin is simply not a requirement to receive the free gift of eternal life.

You hold to the concept of so called 'Lordship salvation' which denies that salvation is by grace through faith alone in Christ alone. I hold to what the scriptures actually say with regard to the issue of salvation.

This way the bearer need not be responsible for his own thoughts, deeds and actions.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:38 PM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Wouldn't 'lordship salvation' mean you believe salvation is by faith alone, but that faith will produce a change in the person. This is different from what Nate seems to believe.

https://www.gotquestions.org/lordship-salvation.html
Basically, Lordship salvation is the view that with regard to eternal salvation, not only must you receive Jesus as Savior but that you must make a commitment to obey Jesus and submit to Him, and if you don't then you're not saved.

The non-Lordship salvation position is that in order to receive eternal life you need only trust in Christ Jesus in order to be saved. Whether or not you make a commitment to obey Christ has no bearing on your salvation. It does on your spiritual life after salvation, but not on whether you are eternally saved.

Faith may or may not result in a change in a persons life. Many people who receive Christ as Savior never grow spiritually and remain spiritual infants. Some believer's lives cannot be distinguished from that of an unbeliever. Some believers remain in a constant state of carnality. They are still saved by grace through faith, but they have not made any sort of commitment to clean up their lives.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:41 PM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
This way the bearer need not be responsible for his own thoughts, deeds and actions.
Only an idiot would assume that. Sin in the believer's life can result in divine discipline in time. But giving up sin is not a requirement for salvation.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:46 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,097 times
Inspect the tares first then filter.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Quote:
Only an idiot would assume that. Sin in the believer's life can result in divine discipline in time. But giving up sin is not a requirement for salvation.
It's a good thing I don't make assumptions.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Basically, Lordship salvation is the view that with regard to eternal salvation, not only must you receive Jesus as Savior but that you must make a commitment to obey Jesus and submit to Him, and if you don't then you're not saved.

The non-Lordship salvation position is that in order to receive eternal life you need only trust in Christ Jesus in order to be saved. Whether or not you make a commitment to obey Christ has no bearing on your salvation. It does on your spiritual life after salvation, but not on whether you are eternally saved.

Faith may or may not result in a change in a persons life. Many people who receive Christ as Savior never grow spiritually and remain spiritual infants. Some believer's lives cannot be distinguished from that of an unbeliever. Some believers remain in a constant state of carnality. They are still saved by grace through faith, but they have not made any sort of commitment to clean up their lives.
The easy believe position of paragraph 2 takes one description of one element of salvation and says it is the only one in spite of descriptions that give other elements simply because other elements require participation of the person involved, but they disregard that the belief required is exactly the same kind of participation. This ridiculous situation stems from an extreme position concerning the "sovereignty" of God that requires Him to be a micromanager. you see it in controllers, those who can't stand to see anyone else free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity