Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 10:16 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's been suggested Paul's encounter was a result of temporal lobe epilepsy. That doesn't prove Jesus wasn't the one there but it's interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1032067/
However, since the men who were with Paul also experienced some of what Paul saw, that is, they saw a light and they heard a voice which they couldn't make out, that rules out any kind of a subjective hallucination or epileptic seizure on Paul's part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 10:35 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
But Jesus said to continue in His word and teaching which Paul never did.

Paul the deceiver was an impostor.

"No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born from above."
I will put faith in his words rather than yours.

Thanks.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:37 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You insist on claiming that Paul was afflicted before having his encounter with Jesus. You're a career skeptic. As I told you on the other thread, just remain a skeptic. It's not my problem.
I am skeptical of a story of a corpse coming back to life and flying away in exactly the same way that I am skeptical of a story of flying reindeer, or an angel named Moroni, just to name a few historically unrealistic claims, this is true. All three stories are equally unreasonable. Make believe and gullibility go hand in hand with unfounded assertions, blind unskeptical faith, and an individual's upbringing and indoctrination. The entire story of the "risen" Jesus can be easily explained as a false rumor spread by the early followers of Jesus, without recourse to any supernatural cause or occurrence.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:06 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I am skeptical of a story of a corpse coming back to life and flying away in exactly the same way that I am skeptical of a story of flying reindeer, or an angel named Moroni, just to name a few historically unrealistic claims, this is true. All three stories are equally unreasonable. Make believe and gullibility go hand in hand with unfounded assertions, blind unskeptical faith, and an individual's upbringing and indoctrination. The entire story of the "risen" Jesus can be easily explained as a false rumor spread by the early followers of Jesus, without recourse to any supernatural cause or occurrence.
You don't believe the account. Got it.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:27 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,576 times
Quote:
Thanks DRob. That is the true gospel. Eternal salvation is as simple as that. Eternal life is a free gift which is offered to all, and received by grace through faith in Christ Jesus. Simply believe that He died for our sins (that He died for you personally), and that He rose again. This is a recognition that you can do nothing to earn your salvation but that Jesus did everything necessary for your salvation. Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.
How does one "simply" believe? ....i.e. is that different from the OP's command to just "believe".

Old 05-29-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks DRob. That is the true gospel. Eternal salvation is as simple as that. Eternal life is a free gift which is offered to all, and received by grace through faith in Christ Jesus. Simply believe that He died for our sins (that He died for you personally), and that He rose again. This is a recognition that you can do nothing to earn your salvation but that Jesus did everything necessary for your salvation. Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.

Except that all observation throughout time indicates that all living things die, WITHOUT FAIL. Believers declare that they will be saved from death because when they die an invisible part of them will go to an invisible place to be with invisible friends. And this corresponds to pure make believe. Much like claiming that Santa has a workshop at the north pole full of elves. But we can never visit Santa's workshop because it is invisible.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
However, since the men who were with Paul also experienced some of what Paul saw, that is, they saw a light and they heard a voice which they couldn't make out, that rules out any kind of a subjective hallucination or epileptic seizure on Paul's part.
Where exactly can one find the testimony from these men that indicate that they "experienced some of what Paul saw." This is Paul's version of events. But Paul was the stricken man, blind and infirm at the time.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 AM

691 posts, read 641,460 times
Paul claim to have seen a light brighter than the sun since Jesus claim to be the light of the world. Paul also in 2 Cor 11:14
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.
9 And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.
Acts 9:3-9

13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Acts 26:13-16

Old 05-29-2018, 06:29 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Except that all observation throughout time indicates that all living things die, WITHOUT FAIL. Believers declare that they will be saved from death because when they die an invisible part of them will go to an invisible place to be with invisible friends. And this corresponds to pure make believe. Much like claiming that Santa has a workshop at the north pole full of elves. But we can never visit Santa's workshop because it is invisible.
The body dies. The soul of both the believer and unbeliever survives the death of the body. However, the destination of the soul of the believer is different from that of the unbeliever. At the moment of physical death the believer goes to heaven awaiting the resurrection of the body. The unbeliever goes to hades where he also awaits the resurrection of the body. The time will come when all believers will be resurrected and live in the presence of God forever in the new earth and new heavens. The very moment a person believes in Christ he has eternal life. He enters into an eternal relationship with God. The time will come when the unbeliever will be sent to the lake of fire in resurrected body where he will exist forever in a state of spiritual separation from God.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:51 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,371 times
Quote:
The body dies. The soul of both the believer and unbeliever survives the death of the body. However, the destination of the soul of the believer is different from that of the unbeliever. At the moment of physical death the believer goes to heaven awaiting the resurrection of the body. The unbeliever goes to hades where he also awaits the resurrection of the body. The time will come when all believers will be resurrected and live in the presence of God forever in the new earth and new heavens. The very moment a person believes in Christ he has eternal life. He enters into an eternal relationship with God. The time will come when the unbeliever will be sent to the lake of fire in resurrected body where he will exist forever in a state of spiritual separation from God.
Wow. What a bummer. Imagine this...your born black in Somalia into terrible poverty. Pain and suffering all around..you heard of Christ but everyone you know is Muslim. You die at the age of 16, having experienced zero luxuries in life and nothing but hardship. Now you wake up in hades...even worse than Earth. Then God resurrects you and gives you a new, immortal body. Plop, into the lake of fire you go.

This is beyond a terrible nightmare and the majority of souls have only this to look forward to ??

I know you don't like it anymore than I do but when God decided to give man free will........this is the result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity